How Can We Get Our Puppy To Stop Biting?

new2gsd

Our 13 week old GSD pup has a habit at snapping at our hands, ankles, legs etc (Im not mentioning his chewing habits here!)

When we say no he does it more.

We have tried putting him out of the house whenever he does this and he calms down for few minuntes and starts again.

He also pulls at Trousers, Robes (when we are wearing them) - He has already torn several!

He also snaps at our hands when we give him treats. Not when he is at puppy school though!

He also jumps and tries to grab our hands every now and then. This worsens if knows we have a treat in our hand!

Any suggestions to get rid of this habit would be greatly appreiciated.

BTW all the other times, he is a darling!

post-9824-1144397323_thumb.jpg

Close hands into a fist and turn away, no eye contact and don't tell him off til he is all 4 paws on the ground then praise!

It's hard but it worked for us

Oh and no treats after a snap, only treats if he's gentle

He will get it pretty quickly if you don't give in :banghead:

Eddie was shocking for that and pulling on our pants when he was that age

Edited by shoemonster

Making a loud high pitched yelp/yipe noise and then stop what you are doing and ignore him for a few moments. As soon as he stops and settles/sits then give him some verbal praise...but not to excitedly else you'll hype him up again.

I've got a ratbag of a GSD pup and he's learning that biting and tantrums don't get him far...lol

When griever was little and decided he enjoyed biting our fingers/hands, I used to let him bite then id hold his bottom jaw between my thumb and forefinger for a moment before letting go. Not hard enough to hurt or anything, but it annoyed the crap out of him and he quickly stopped biting hands. Instead he would go to bite but stop short then start jumping around my hand like "You cant get me!! ner ner". Silly bugger.

You reminded me of our gsd when we first had her... boy was she a biter - could never even pet her and she was also an ankle biter. !8 months later, she's still biting my shoe when we go for walks every once in a while. This phase will pass however, patience and perseverance is the key here. If you can, try not to pull your hand away when she bites as this will guarantee that you will end up with scratches and bleeding. Instead, try grabbing her scruff and shake her (like her mum would) and say 'no' or 'argghh' severely. Another thing we tried with some success was to try to distract her with her toys or nylabone whenever she wanted to bite.

i am getting a pup in the next few months... it has to be born first!

and i am wondering about this subject.

i have heard two schools of thought on the subject.

one is to act like a litter mate and yell and stop play as this is how the pup learn to control its bite

the other is to act like the mum and give a growl and, excuse my wording, push the pup to the ground by the scruff of the neck.

they both seem to have pro and cons in my eyes, but could some one tell me which is recomended at this day and age (as puppy training is ever evolving)

thanks,

Christie

When Loki would bite we would just hold his mouth shut and say "NO" very stirnly then ignore him.

If you dont like the idea of holding their mouth shut definately just cease whatever you're doing and walk off.

Puppies will be puppies. They all bite. It is natural behaviour and is the way they would play with their siblings and other dogs.

My advice. Try to discourage him when you can. Use distraction techniques and a gentle reprimand.

Above all - be patient. He will grow out of it.

My little 7 week old grey pups loves to bite and play and grab your feet and hands etc. I just ignore her and move away, or if she really hurts me (pulled my nose ring out the other morning) I make a loud noise and tell her NO in a firm voice and she soons gets bored of it when she realises that I am not going to play with her while she is biting.

I had the same problem with our collie,we used the litter mate yelp method but soon worked out that if we increased his things he was allowed to chew on ie bones chew sticks raw hide ect that he stopped

The best two dollars i ever spent was on a rope toy that i could play with the collie with thus he got the ''rough '' play he wanted and we were nip free

i agree with shoe monster you just gotta love those little needle puppy teeth!!!!!!!!