1st Night 10mth Old Gsp Did Not Stop Barking Helpppp

olegna17

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's pretty normal for a pup in a new place, it's all new and weird and they don't know where you've gone

Have you thought about crating her? Then you could have her in the bedroom til she settles in and gradually move her back

Yeah it's pretty normal for a pup in a new place, it's all new and weird and they don't know where you've gone

Have you thought about crating her? Then you could have her in the bedroom til she settles in and gradually move her back

Took her for a walk this morning gave her a good wash & feed did not make a sound so quiet, put her back in kennel goes mad berking and paceing got to go to work will she stop.

you will find most 'gsp's dont like to be kennelled if they are not used to it. I assume you are locking her in a pen of some sort outside?

If its her fist time out of her own environment, she will be most upset and this is not unusual. If you can not keep her closer to your house till she gets used to her new people and environment, she will continue and it may become a habbit forming problem.

where did she come from at 10 months old?

also, bringing a dog home during the night is harder, they dont quite get a chance to settle in with you before everyone disappears to bed.

It is not a good idea to acquire a new puppy at night, the best time is early on a Saturday morning so that you have all weekend to spend with the dog and help it to adapt to its new environment.

The dog is only young and is confused and stressed, of course it is going to bark, I suggest that you buy a crate for the dog and have it next to your bed, you will find that the dog will soon adjust to the crate and once it's become familiar with you and its new surroundings you should be able to move the crate out to the kitchen or laundry.

What is the dog's history? If it's never been penned outside before it will probably continue to bark for sometime, if you're out at work all day it will probably bark during the day as well. GSP's are a working dog and require lots of exercise and mental stimulation, left in a run all day it will become very bored and could become destructive. Did you research the breed before you got the puppy?

Edited by Miranda

It is not a good idea to acquire a new puppy at night, the best time is early on a Saturday morning so that you have all weekend to spend with the dog and help it to adapt to its new environment.

The dog is only young and is confused and stressed, of course it is going to bark, I suggest that you buy a crate for the dog and have it next to your bed, you will find that the dog will soon adjust to the crate and once it's become familiar with you and its new surroundings you should be able to move the crate out to the kitchen or laundry.

What is the dog's history? If it's never been penned outside before it will probably continue to bark for sometime, if you're out at work all day it will probably bark during the day as well. GSP's are a working dog and require lots of exercise and mental stimulation, left in a run all day it will become very bored and could become destructive. Did you research the breed before you got the puppy?

Yes I am a hunter i have given it a 45 min walk last night and today will walk it each day she has settled a little I am going to get a crate now.

you will find most 'gsp's dont like to be kennelled if they are not used to it. I assume you are locking her in a pen of some sort outside?

If its her fist time out of her own environment, she will be most upset and this is not unusual. If you can not keep her closer to your house till she gets used to her new people and environment, she will continue and it may become a habbit forming problem.

where did she come from at 10 months old?

also, bringing a dog home during the night is harder, they dont quite get a chance to settle in with you before everyone disappears to bed.

Came from Katherine Wishart Ardent Kennels in cranbourne she did not make it in the show ring. She has been in a pen with long run and 4 other dogs all her life. She is outside in a Medium pen with a kennel at my place but a long way from the family moving her when I get home from work

Oh, did I read correctly? You are a hunter? My goodness, what pitiful creatures do you hunt? Does your new dog become part of the "team" and hunt with you?

Oh, I'm so sad and angry to read this on a dog-lover's forum...hunting is IMO not a very humane activity. :cry::mad

As upsetting as it may appear to you Lillysmum, hunters and their dogs do this country a service by helping to control feral animals that destroy our wildlife, our crops and farmers livelyhoods.

Not all animals are cute and cuddly household pets.

A working dog belonging to a hunter is quite possibly a happier and better cared for animal than some you find in suburban backyards.

It is always lovely to see new posters welcomed here so warmly.

Heres to a better nights sleep Angelo, and welcome to DOL.

Having spent some time in "the bush", I am just a *little* aware of feral animal problems in this country. But hunting them doesn't mean it's humane. Have you never seen just how many endangered birds that are NOT so-called approved species, are killed during "duck season" in this country (when the shooting of such birds is actually permitted, that is, as we have had a few years where the "season" was banned b/c of lack of bird numbers, haven't we?)?

Or how about all the animals that aren't killed by the shot and the hunter leaves them to die, usually by bleeding to death? Is that humane? Is that OK b/c they're "over-populating" the area in question? Is that really acceptable for let's say, the eastern grey kangaroo? One of our "national emblems"? And a beautiful animal at that...

I also know what the original purpose is for the gundog class of canine, I'm not really that dim. But that isn't to say that without this purpose, the dog is miserable either. That would be drawing a rather long bow, to coin a phrase that's relevant to this thread. Most GSPs are now kept as companion animals rather than gundogs (at least, in Australia, I know for the USA for example, that the numbers are quite different, but hunting over there is rather popular as a weekend "sport"...we don't quite have that element to our culture here, thankfully).

I do not condone hunting for the purposes of removing a feral nuisance. Does anyone remember the brumby cull in Guy Fawkes National Park several years ago, whereby supposedly "professional hunters" were employed to shoot wild horses from helicopters, and many of these magnificent creatures lay dying for days, and in at least one case, took more than a week to bleed to death???

I do not condone hunting for the purposes of "sport" as there are far more humane ways to shoot for "fun" than attempting to kill a living creature. I love animals, of course I'm opposed to shooting them for "fun" disguised in whatever form a hunter attempts to justify his participation in this activity. :mad

Angelo,

welcome to your new GSP...she'll most certainly be stressed by the 'disappearance' of her mates and suddenly bing on her own, and also away from human companionship...as I write this I have a 7month old GSP planted under the desk wrapped around my feet.

Does she have the chance to be inside with you in the evenings and on weekends? My bloke spends 12-13hours a day by himself in a run with a variety of toys, a Kong and breakfast, and except for the shredding of a hessian bag when his molars set recently he's settled down - but the first fortnight was dreadful - if I left him he shrieked!!! then one day, he stopped, and peace returned to the world....

I would bring your girl in and sleep her in a crate in your bedroom for a few weeks till she gets herself oriented and bonds with everyone in the household - if she shrieks in the crate, a low rumbly "nooooo" should work (is she used to being in a crate?) - if not a quick squirt in the face from a spray mister and 'no' will convince her that it's not a good idea.

I'd have a chat to the neighbours and explain the situation and reassure them that it won't go on forever....mostly they are pretty understanding....but sleep her inside and that will placate them.

Good luck with her...

I do not condone hunting for the purposes of removing a feral nuisance. Does anyone remember the brumby cull in Guy Fawkes National Park several years ago, whereby supposedly "professional hunters" were employed to shoot wild horses from helicopters, and many of these magnificent creatures lay dying for days, and in at least one case, took more than a week to bleed to death???

I do not condone hunting for the purposes of "sport" as there are far more humane ways to shoot for "fun" than attempting to kill a living creature. I love animals, of course I'm opposed to shooting them for "fun" disguised in whatever form a hunter attempts to justify his participation in this activity. :mad

How would you suggest the feral pigs etc were controlled, maybe we should politely ask them to vacate!!

It seems that we should simply hand the country over to the rats, the rabbits and the rest of the feral animal nuisance because culling is never conducted humane enough for some.

Not all hunters are as you would like to have them painted lillysmum.

Having spent some time in "the bush", I am just a *little* aware of feral animal problems in this country. But hunting them doesn't mean it's humane. Have you never seen just how many endangered birds that are NOT so-called approved species, are killed during "duck season" in this country (when the shooting of such birds is actually permitted, that is, as we have had a few years where the "season" was banned b/c of lack of bird numbers, haven't we?)?

Or how about all the animals that aren't killed by the shot and the hunter leaves them to die, usually by bleeding to death? Is that humane? Is that OK b/c they're "over-populating" the area in question? Is that really acceptable for let's say, the eastern grey kangaroo? One of our "national emblems"? And a beautiful animal at that...

I also know what the original purpose is for the gundog class of canine, I'm not really that dim. But that isn't to say that without this purpose, the dog is miserable either. That would be drawing a rather long bow, to coin a phrase that's relevant to this thread. Most GSPs are now kept as companion animals rather than gundogs (at least, in Australia, I know for the USA for example, that the numbers are quite different, but hunting over there is rather popular as a weekend "sport"...we don't quite have that element to our culture here, thankfully).

Howdy, i have a 13 month old GSP and I know your pain :mad

He is cute, but barks at everything. Clouds, birds, shadows, stars .... the moon. I have just recently started crating him in the garage with new 3 month old Dalmatian pup, and we have complete night of sleep. He actually looks forward to getting into the crate at night. I highly recomend it. I got the largest crate i could (as i wanted to keep them both in it), and they start to bark at around 7am when they need to go to the toilet. Other than that, not a peep no matter what noise goes off around them.

Is without a doubt my best pet related purchase yet.

By the way, i tried a citronella collar for 2 weeks. First 10 days it worked a treat, then came a full moon, in which he learnt that if he barked over the top of it, he only had to endure 3-5 sprays of it to be allowed to bark all night. Cheeky bugger :cry: