1st Night 10mth Old Gsp Did Not Stop Barking Helpppp

olegna17

Lily's Mum:

But hunting them doesn't mean it's humane. Have you never seen just how many endangered birds that are NOT so-called approved species, are killed during "duck season" in this country (when the shooting of such birds is actually permitted, that is, as we have had a few years where the "season" was banned b/c of lack of bird numbers, haven't we?)?

Of course trapping and poisoning are FAR more humane methods of dealing with these issues aren't they. :mad

They poison ducks every year Lily's mum - and anything else that eats the grain. Drought also has its effects on where birds are.

If it weren't for hunters, many countries would no longer have wet lands or game animals - responsible hunters understand about conserving what they hunt. Lack of numbers is a proper reason to suspend a season but it doesn't mean that hunting is responsible for the drop in the first place.

Responsible hunters also make damn sure they kill what they hunt - and have even bred some breeds of dog to trail wounded game.

I seem to recall Animal Liberation being sprung adding "imported" native species to the birds they said they'd found killed in one duck season.

I don't hunt but I respect the rights of others to do so provided they are responsible.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Angelo

Its just patience for your new girl til she gets used to it. If you start slowly and let her know that being in the pen does not mean abandonment it will be easier. Feed her meals in there, even shut the door and play with her in the pen then the both of you leave it. If she sees that being in there is not the be all and end all then she'll come round. Yes they can be drama queens! Mayvbe get the neighbours a bottle of wine as a sorry gift and pop round to explain your predicament. Mutual understanding can go a long way.

Have you had other hunting breeds before or is this your first of the gun breed? Hopefully she'll be a good dog for your needs! I have hunters in the family and if you're a good shot with well trained dogs I see nothing wrong with it. P.S. if you have a few spare ducks or rabbits chuck em my way will you :mad nothing like fresh game for tea.

My opinions on hunting stand...I'm a humane and compassionate person and sadly, the evidence that I've seen shows that many "hunters" are neither responsible nor humane...it is never OK to leave an animal to bleed to death IMO. I respect other's rights to hold their opinions...however, not all individuals with firearms behave in a manner that entitles them to use them. If they did, I would have considerably less of a problem with ppl hunting for sport. For a number of ppl with firearms, part of the sport is in leaving the animals to suffer. And IMO no animal deserves that kind of treatment. Not for any reason, nor for any species. If feral pigs (for example) need to be killed, then at least have the decency to kill them humanely. :rofl:

Can't the poor bloody OP have some peace.

ALWAYS with the extreme self righteous opinions, about everything. So frigging annoying when someone is actually looking for some information... :rofl: every frigging post.

Edited by Mel 45

I am totally amazed that someone has come to DOL to ask about settling a new pup and some people are carrying on about hunting! :rofl: ... A true "shake the head" moment.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe you should start a new topic.

When we took n our gsp at nine months we had the same problems even though she was inside and with another dog took a couple of weeks for her to settle

get in a routine and get her training started training is great for mental stimuation gsps are nuts when they dot have a job to do even if you just do ten mins twice a day it will make a differnece

as for the hunting issue my gsp was great but a stressy dog we live in surburbia it wasonly when i added retrieving training into her work that she really blossomed and everything fell into pace im a big believer in working dogs in something they were bred to do if you can it does make a huge difference my sheltie is herding and my whipet lure raced they need that natural outlet themat a walk just doesnt offer

ALWAYS with the extreme self righteous opinions, about everything. So frigging annoying when someone is actually looking for some information... :rofl: every frigging post.

That's so nice of you to say! :D

Why is it that you think I do not have the right to defend myself and my opinions? ;)

I'm entitled to express my views and I'm not actually attacking an individual here but addressing my comments in a general, non-threatening manner. If only everyone else could find the same courtesy in their responses, this forum would be a much nicer and more welcoming place to spend time.

Is it wrong that I love animals so much? Is it wrong that I'm compassionate? :cheers:

Please don't resort to personal attacks, as it's not appreciated and makes you come across as being impolite, dare I say it, even downright rude. I'm sure you are a very polite person...perhaps I've just misunderstood your comments. :eek:

you come across as being impolite, dare I say it, even downright rude.

Hello kettle, this is the pot - you're black! ;)

How to hijack a thread in two easy steps :rofl: Make a new one LM if you're that concerned - you'll get a little more "exposure" that way :cheers: .

Welcome Angelo, how is your girl going now?

Angelo, sounds like you are on the right track and you have been given some great advice in this thread if you can pick through the rubbish :rofl: A little patience coupled with a few strategies and loads of lovin will see things work out.

LM- you may be an animal lover and no-one can deny you are passionate about your beliefs...... but common sense and a shred of manners will see you not force your opinions on everyone else particularly when the thread is not about hunting.

Do the fair and sensible thing and retreat.

ALWAYS with the extreme self righteous opinions, about everything. So frigging annoying when someone is actually looking for some information... ;) every frigging post.

That's so nice of you to say! :rofl:

Why is it that you think I do not have the right to defend myself and my opinions? ;)

I'm entitled to express my views and I'm not actually attacking an individual here but addressing my comments in a general, non-threatening manner. If only everyone else could find the same courtesy in their responses, this forum would be a much nicer and more welcoming place to spend time.

Is it wrong that I love animals so much? Is it wrong that I'm compassionate? :)

It's not that your expressing your opinion, LM. It's that you seem to feel the need to express it when it's irrelevant to the thread and won't benefit the OP, or the GSP, or anyone else for that matter. I'm not one for hunting myself but don't see the need to bring it up at every opportunity ;)

How is your pup going, Angelo?? Has she settled in a bit more now? I know it is hard, especially when she's been with other dogs the rest of her life. My BC pup was with her breeder until she was 4 months old, and has never been by herself (I have another dog here too). The first few times I left her to take my boy to obedience she carried on like a banshee :rofl:

well you seem really willing to help her so im sure you will find she does settle with you. I wish you the best of luck with her...you will find the crate helpful for training and for your ears!

Thankyou for your help she has settled very well I think I have found my first real best friend.

Regards,

Angelo

Great stuff Angelo, these things can take a little time, but when you've got a new best friend it's all worth it. :rolleyes:

Can we have some pics please????

Stick around, there's lots of stuff to learn, and I for one would love to hear her progress with you in all your activities.