Female On Heat

margief

we have always had male gsd dogs and now have our first female. she is now eight months old and i have been to the library and read up on when they come in season but most of the books have not been enough help. where can i get more general information and exaxtly what goes on. any assistance will be appreciated.

A season can last up to 3 weeks with prime time for standing starting as early as 7 days.

Goolge "Bitches in Season" which gives a good explanation of the stages involved.

One very important thing to mention though is that you dont want any accidents to happen so she should be kept somewhere safe that a male cant get to her. If you are at work then lock her somewhere secure e.g your laundry. If you want to take her out for a walk do so by putting her into your car and driving her somewhere away from your property, and preferably where there are no other dogs. Do NOT let her off the lead.

A season can last up to 3 weeks with prime time for standing starting as early as 7 days.

Goolge "Bitches in Season" which gives a good explanation of the stages involved.

One very important thing to mention though is that you dont want any accidents to happen so she should be kept somewhere safe that a male cant get to her. If you are at work then lock her somewhere secure e.g your laundry. If you want to take her out for a walk do so by putting her into your car and driving her somewhere away from your property, and preferably where there are no other dogs. Do NOT let her off the lead.

Our 18 month GSD has just had her second season. Generally, between the 7th-14th day are the days to be extra careful as this is the period when they are accepting of males. The first few days you will notice some pink colored drops on the floor - pretty much like watermelon colored juice drops (pardon the comparison), then the drops will get to brighter red/blood red and at the peak, you will find that the bleeding is more frequent. Occassionally, you might also find 'clumps' of blood. Once you pass this stage, the bleeding will ease off. Be prepared for the smell and this is what attracts males in the neighbourhood to your door. We went through the first one and kept her indoors during the critical period. For the second season, we sent her to the kennel during the critical period. If this is the first time for the GSD, she will naturally clean herself by licking and in the first few days, she will be wondering what's happening to her. Hope this helps.

In the ACT, you commit an offence if you take an entire, in season bitch, off private property for any purpose other than visiting a veterinary clinic. So, before you take her out, check your local laws...

Having a bitch in season is a big responsibility, both for her wellbeing and for the sake of all the entire dogs in your area. An entire dog will attempt to get to any bitch he can smell, and he can smell her for up to 1 km or more.

If she were mine, she would not be left entire, but you may have a perfectly valid reason for delaying her spey surgery.

What is the responsible approach to managing her season?

Keep her secured (that is, within a building) for the whole season. If a dog can get to her, he will. So, please don't leave her outside in your "secure yard" b/c there is no such thing in the eyes of a bunch of "horny" dogs. Lock her inside a house, garage, or other secure building. When you take her outside to relieve herself, have her on lead and in the hands of a capable adult person. Keep her clean, wash her every day using a very mild shampoo for canines, at least twice. She will appreciate this. She will also lick herself and this is something you can try to avoid by putting "pants" on her...they do make sanitary garments for bitches!

When her season is over, be sure to wait six to eight weeks before you have her speyed, but you can certainly book her in now!

HTH. :rofl:

thank you to the people who have replied re my bitch coming in to season, i have been doing heap[s of reading now i know which websittes to look into. Once her seaon starts we have a very big airey laundry where we will keep her when we are working, luckily i do shift work so am home a bit between work and school with my six year old son.

We do wish to breed from her further down the track as she has excellant bl0od lines and papers with both parent being excellent show dogs.It is a new ball game to us after having two male gsds, i have been doing reading on the pros and cons off breeding and will review the situation after her first season in heat. She is a lovely nature dog and passed obedience training with flying colours, girl dogs are certainly more sooky than our males were, but so loving to.

Lilysmum, the poster said

"We do wish to breed from her further down the track as she has excellant bl0od lines and papers with both parent being excellent show dogs"

'We do wish to breed from her further down the track as she has excellant bl0od lines and papers with both parent being excellent show dogs"

I quoted it twice, as you seem to have missed it when the poster originally said it.

margief, when you decide whether to breed or not, ask you breeder which tests GSDs should have, and have them done, you will need some of them to register the pups, and some to ensure your pups are as healthy and soiund as can be.

Meanwhile, watch her like a hawk the whole time she is in season!!

No, Jed, I did not miss what the OP said. But thanks for quoting her twice...just in case! I know we can't know how intelligent members are based upon what we *think* we see on our screens. ;)

I don't condone lay people's breeding intentions...hence my previous post in this thread. If the OP is a registered breeder with a mentor, wonderful! But as she has now posted in general about the "costs" of breeding, I am probably correct in concluding that she isn't a registered breeder. Hopefully these discussions she has here will educate her and she will re-think the idea of breeding her bitch and ultimately desex the bitch.

If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine. We are each entitled to hold our own views and to express them. Thank goodness are all different, the world would be very boring if we were each the same. :laugh:

If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine. We are each entitled to hold our own views and to express them. Thank goodness are all different, the world would be very boring if we were each the same. :laugh:

Yes, the freedom to express our views is a fabulous thing and a right.... I guess the difference is that most of us know the distinction between expressing an opinion and being rude. Lilly - you appear to have a very aggressive way lately of dealing with subjects that you choose to speak up about. I'd like to suggest you take a moment of time to assess your motivations for responding in the manner that you do. I'd also like to suggest you go suck a lemon so that you can experience the bitter taste that some of us have felt when reading some of your responses of late. ;)

• Haha 1

Margief, it's always good to see someone doing their research and going about breeding dogs in the proper way. The purebred world can do with people like you :laugh:

Bitches in season can be a handful. Do you have entire males also, as you may find life is very difficult for a few weeks if so!

Keep an eye on her as Jed says, even if you think your yard is secure, supervise when she goes out for loo breaks. The dangerous time is usually from around day 7 and can least right up to day 21. All bitches are different though and you will hear some horror stories about accidental matings even from the best and most experienced breeders.

Things will get messy around the house so lay down some old sheets and towels or use bitch sanitary pants on her. You may find her behaviour will change also, she may get moody or frisky.

She sounds lovely, and if you decide you want to breed her, seek out the support of your breeder or others who have experience in the breed. Good luck.

Edited by xavier

If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine. We are each entitled to hold our own views and to express them. Thank goodness are all different, the world would be very boring if we were each the same. ;)

Yes, the freedom to express our views is a fabulous thing and a right.... I guess the difference is that most of us know the distinction between expressing an opinion and being rude. Lilly - you appear to have a very aggressive way lately of dealing with subjects that you choose to speak up about. I'd like to suggest you take a moment of time to assess your motivations for responding in the manner that you do. I'd also like to suggest you go suck a lemon so that you can experience the bitter taste that some of us have felt when reading some of your responses of late. :rofl:

And you don't sound even a teensy bit self-righteous or arrogant yourself...never mind rude. ;)

As I keep on saying here, apparently it's one rule for me, but the opposite for everyone else...that is, I cannot be rude to anyone but you can be rude to me. Are you trying to goad me into playing tit for tat? ;)

Hmmm...no, I don't think I'll get involved, thanks anyway! :)

To the OP, please consider the health and wellbeing of your bitch and any pups you may produce...if you genuinely wish to improve the breed, please find a mentor (registered breeder), learn everything you can, enter your bitch into some shows, take it from there. But really consider your motivations before you allow her to mate. :rofl:

hey Margeif

aaaah bitches in season ... get ready for it ;) I have a Belgian Shepherd bitch that is just over 2 years and has had 4 seasons now. You will begin to know when your girl goes into season, her appetite will go haywire, she will become broody and moody. Just take care if you take her for a walk or out in public that their tempers can become short. Mine is reasonably well natured but once in season its on for young and old when it comes to other dogs. She really lives up to the name BITCH ;)

Laundry is a great idea, you will find she'll spend a lot of time sleeping or just moping about. Get her enough toys, spend time with her when she comes out for you and she wont resent the confinement. Conversely a great idea is a steel mesh and steel piping completely enclosed run with a concrete floor. If the weather is nice she can live out there for fresh air and sunshine. Be wary though that some bitches become the type to actively seek out dogs to mate with so any confinement has to be strong, hide anything that could hurt her or be chewed form anxiety.

If you would like to breed her remember:

All hip scores, genetic tests should pass with flying colors

The bitch should be at least 2 years old

She should be obedient and have a good personality> not show any fear, aggression etc

The dog should also comply with these standards and be complementary to your bitches line.

Talk to her breeder about maybe going back to them to do the mating and for them to help you with the process.

Take care!

happy easter to all

thank you to everyones advice, as yes we are new to this side of things having a girl gsd. To all we are doing our researc and homework before and if down the track we do wish to breed from her. i will certainly after the school holidays talk to the breeders were i got her from to look in more details on things. the advise re a bitch in heat is fantastic from everyone that has posted a answer and i thank you all. she will certinly be confined once i know she is in heat, we are fairly lucky that we do not have many male dogs in our nighbourhood as we are a new estate, yes i know they can clim high fences so to all do not panic she will be in our lovely laundry whenever we are not home.

i am aware if we breed her that i have to register etc etc, will look into all that when i know which direction that i go in.

being new to dogzonline i am really enjoying these forum colums as they are great for the help and information from all.

hope evryone has a happy and safe eatser, we live in sunny cairns and it will be a very wet one, just for something different as since cyclone larry visited all we ahve had is rain, rain and more rain

Happy Easter to you too, Margief.

Forgot to mention before - there is an excellent book - "Dogs and How to Breed Them" by Hilary Harmer. Covers everything from genetics to advertising and selling the pups. And the bitch coming into season. First published in 1968. It's been reprinted a few times, and a few tips in it have been superseded, but not many.

It may still be available in bookshops, so it's worth checking Amazon etc, but you may be able to get it on e-bay. Many's the night I've sat through a difficult whelping, Hilary at hand.

I think it's the best book on breeding I've seen. A year or so ago, on this forum, we discussed which books were good, and although others were suggested, quite a few use Hilary. If I could find the thread, I'd tell you of some others.

If your bitch is nice, the lines are good, and you are willing, give breeding a go. Lots of heartbreak, but very rewarding. It's good to see nice bitches being bred, the more good purebred dogs around, the better. If you haven't done so already, join your local CC soon, as you need a prefix for a period of time before you can register a litter. People often think you can register your prefix when the pups arrive, but that is not always the case. Best to check with the CC than find you have an unregistered litter. Rules vary from state to state, so I can't help you with that one.

Don't let anyone talk you into doing anything you don't want to. Animal Activists are alive, well and extremely vocal on this forum. Unfortunately, the people they are castigating are often the very ones who ought to be breeding!! Don't know why they don't spend time on forums with those of like ilk, instead of coming to a purebred dog community where breeding is not discouraged and spreading censure, condemnation and castigation around like lumps in a sewage farm.

Lillysmum

I don't condone lay people's breeding intentions...hence my previous post in this thread. If the OP is a registered breeder with a mentor, wonderful! But as she has now posted in general about the "costs" of breeding, I am probably correct in concluding that she isn't a registered breeder.

The poster has already stated this is her first bitch so she is unlikely to be a registered breeder - to be a breeder, you need to breed. Which this poster hasn't done, and IMO, asking these questions is responsible. Everyone has to begin somewhere, and asking questions on a forum with a lot of experienced breeders is a great way to garner a lot of information in a short time.

What the hell is a "lay person"? Someone not in a religious order, I believe. Puggles, are you a nun??? Does this mean I have to take religious orders?

A "lay person" is someone not expert in a given area or field of endeavour. ;)

Perhaps the term "novice", "beginner" or "inexpert" would have been more to your liking? :)

If the OP is intent on breeding, that does not mean that she intends to become a registered breeder...but with the help of a mentor (or to put it another way, someone that is considered to be an expert), perhaps the OP will forge a name for themselves and their litter/s. :)

The GSD Clubs have worked so hard to improve the quality of their dogs and eliminate hip dysplasia, it is understandable why indescriminate breeding is discouraged.

Just because a dog has good breeding lines does not mean they are breeding quality. I would be attending a GSD breed survey and getting an expert opinion about the bitch, then doing relevant health testing.

Back in the 70's this breed was nearly ruined by backyard breeders breeding bad hips and bad temperaments.

• Like 1