Obedience Training/need School

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Hedds. It kind of got distorted with the argument of having to declare position when recommending. I guess conversation can do that sometimes.

I hope the OP returns here and lets us know how things went and how they are going. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We tried the school in Narre Warren North 3 years ago .l wanted to know if there were any other schools in my area well my husband will give ADT ago . l have to book tassie in for her first timer session.

l read all your post ADT is really close and the times are good (for training).

Cheers

Goldy

l don't like the choker chain either my older dog pulled so hard he really hurt his throat he wouldn't eat and his bark was different afterwards. So l don't know what we will do with that training side of it .l know my husband won't like tassie wearing one .

Edited by goldy

Such a shame Hugh Wirth of RSPCA and the Government banned prong collars in Victoria. Silly them. Although the collars look awful they are, in my opinion, kinder than check chains.

Having said that, ANY piece of equipment used inappropriately can cause damage to the dog, including head collars.

l don't like the choker chain either my older dog pulled so hard he really hurt his throat he wouldn't eat and his bark was different afterwards. So l don't know what we will do with that training side of it .l know my husband won't like tassie wearing one .

Nat - I agree.

I am a trainer. I don't train for ADT.

Correction chains in my opinion should only be sold by trainers who know how to use them (believe me there a few trainers out there who can't) not pet shops. I like to teach people how to use a flat collar and voice control first.

I'm not a fan of the correction chain only due to the fact that many people have difficulty in learning how to use one. Like Erny I wish the prong collar was still available to people, with suitable dogs, as an option.

IMO - pick a school that doesn't teach with one and doesn't insist you use one either as per the school I teach at and ADT (not that I'm advocating any). I advise that you ring all schools in your area and ask questions, go out and visit and make your decision when you are completely satisfied.

Happy training.