Can Anyone Explain This?

BittyMooPeeb

I have a 3month old Maltese pup in my care. She came from a pound underweight and with worms.

She has this bizarre habit of backing up to us (me, my female dog and my male cat :shrug: ) and lifting one of her legs up, then just waiting .... and waiting ...... and waiting ...... She keeps looking around with a 'well, hurry up' expression on her face (with my pets, she backs up to their faces). She obviously wants us to *do* something, but I cant for the life of me think what. Is she hoping that someone will clean her bum (maybe like her Mum used to)? She must try it about 20 times a day, so whatever it is, she want it a lot :thumbsup:

Any ideas?

:shrug: Oh, Bitty...the mental picture I have of this... :cool:

I'm sorry, I have no advice...but really!

I dunno what the answer is, but speaking of odd habits, Molly lifts one of her back legs to pee...she squats but then lifts her *right* leg...much like a male but towards her front end...any ideas on that one? :thumbsup:

:wave::(

I dunno what the answer is, but speaking of odd habits, Molly lifts one of her back legs to pee...she squats but then lifts her *right* leg...much like a male but towards her front end...any ideas on that one? :shrug:

I hadn't thought of the funny side - but yes it is quite a sight :cool:. Luckily she has a pretty bum :wave:

My Nessie also lifts her leg to wee - just like you've described with Molly (right leg angled forward). I've also seen female dogs at the dog club do the same thing. Someone told me it was dominant behaviour :thumbsup: . Not sure about this assessment, I'll have to do some more research. It might be correct though as Nessie also kicks to spread her wee far and wide which is supposed to help with marking (or something like that) and she *does* mark .... only low things though :(

Now, what about my puppies bum?

:thumbsup:

I imagine she's now worm free?

Dieter does the rounds in the morning of, kiss face turn around and stand with bum towards us and we give his legs and back a big rub or he will walk under and outstretched hand and pause when it is on his back for a rub...?

If the other dogs aren't doing any doggie things to her and picking up on cues, it might just be a quirk

That would be funny if she was just asking for a scratch! She must be a bit confused, asking my other pets for a back rub :laugh:

I'll try it out and see if she gives me an 'about time!' look :laugh:

Not sure why she'd lift her leg up though - maybe she actually wants a tummy rub ???

My old Staffy would back into anyone who walked into the yard! he loved getting the base of his back, near his tail, scratched - We gave up any hope of him meeting new people with the front end!!

My tiny dogs wll lift a leg and just stand there to make it easier for the other tiny dogs to do the customary sniff hello. Only seems to be the very short ones. (Chi's and malt/chi and Silky)They don't back in towards me to do it but maybe your girl thinks you are one of the pack and equire the same courtesy. She's only a baby.

My dog definitelly does the same. All in a desperate need of some top of the tail scratching.

He will come over for pets, and in no time instead of his head you have his bum :rolleyes: he moves his body along your hand slowly and you dont even realise that instead of the neck you have the back end to pet

You stop scratching youll have a head nudging you again, you pet him, there goes the bum again.

He does it to any human that lets him to get away with it.

someone told me that it might be a sign of domination, wether its correct or not I dont know.

K9: re worm her again...

Also check the dogs anal sacks, they may be impacted / infected or need draining....

Hi K9

Is is possible for me to do this check, or does the vet have to do it? And if I can ... how do I go about it? I dont have carpet so dont get the usual scooting evidence (unless I visit someone with carpet of course :rolleyes: maybe I should get a rug ...)

(she's been wormed twice so should be ok there now)

ps I found and printed off your 'triangle of temptation' the other day - thank's for posting it! It will be great for the more troublesome fosters :laugh:

K9: without knowing what a good anal sack should look like you may not know if you have a problem (or your dog does) unless its a very badly impacted gland.

Take a look anyway, it cant hurt to look.

There should be no swelling either side of the anus nor redness etc...

Many smaller breed dogs have problems here & it causes the symptom you describe..

At worst a vet can check them quickly for you & express them making sure the ducts are clear...

Your welcome on the TOT, it is what I feel all dogs should be on & all rescue/fosters start on straight away...

Yes, leg lifting in bitches (micturition) is a dominance thing. Also the kicking action after urination or defecation is not spreading it far & wide, but is away of marking the ground with the scent glands between the pads. LOL, Enforcing "I've been here" I suppose!