Playing With My Puppy

Doglicious

Hi everyone,

We have a gorgeous cav boy who is currently 13 weeks old. He is really smart and loves to be trained (not biased...much!) We have taught him to sit and drop and he comes when called (all done with treats and praise). I'm after a few games we can play together in the evenings when we are together. He's always up for anything and I just really feel we should be using this time a bit more effectively. We are bonding brilliantly and he's totally all over us (such a typical cav!!) but I want to play games and do more as we have heaps of time together at night. Should also tell you that puppy school starts for him next thurs night and we can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas would be much appreciated!

p.s.......mother-in-law doggie sits him during the week day and he has her totally wrapped around his finger.....she calls him her hairy grandson!

Edited by becster

what do you mean by use the time more effectively? Sometimes the dog is just happy to hang around you and be in your presence. My two sleep next to my computer chair as I sit on the puter but I dont think of that as wasted :( nothing better then a snoring pair of bumheads hehe

some great games are fetch, obedience games like learning new tricks, anything that involves you being in control and the pup not acting like a complete spazz (although he will do his super happy mega zoomy times lol) or doing something naughty like biting or barking at you.

He looks an absolute sweetheart!!! Have fun at puppy school :cry:

Dont be tempted to play yug of war games as they are not really a good thing and his teeth may get ripped out. Also, if anything have the pup chase you a little if you have to, never chase him or he learns to run away from you is a fun thing! Never good around traffic ...

Thanks guys! They are great ideas. It's not so much that I think we are wasting time hanging out but I really want to be the best mum to him and teach him all I can........he's totally like a sponge at the moment. Its school hols here now so we spend all day together (which I am loving!!) Love the idea of finding treats and stuff though. Also like the idea of fetching. Will give both a go! THANKS!!

Remember dont confuse him with too much.

Whilst he may sit/drop now it doesnt mean he will do so in 3-4 weeks time.

It is important to make sure pup nows & does consistaantly well one command.

I believe the most important is come & this age is great for it plus sit.

Fetch incorparates it & sitting on return also keeps it up to date.

teaching the dog to sit before feeding,sit before getting in the car,sit at he edge of the road.

With our pups we will sit out the front where the distractions are(people,cars,bikes,lawn mowers etc) on a long lead & teach come.In the comfort of the house or backyard they will do anything get them out with distractions & whole new world.

One thing you might do is some separation training. I know you said your mum in law looks after him during the week, but what if you have to leave him home sometimes and she isnt available. It WILL happen.

Great to hear somebody doing everything they can to train their pup and turn him into a GREAT dog.

He really thrives on any kind of training and sees it all as a huge game. He was a bit cautious at puppy school last Thursday night but is getting much better. We took him to my parents place last weekend and they have two dogs. We didn't let him near the cattle dog because she's a bit neurotic and untrustworthy but we let mum and Dad's staffy near him. it was so funny because the staffy is scared and cats and wouldn't look at our boy because he thought he was a cat....kept trying to hide from him, which of course only made our boy bolder!! :rolleyes:

He seems to have the sit and drop thing down pat although he can be a little over enthusiastic at times and pre-empts the behaviour or action I require. It's like he's saying 'C'mon, c'mon I already know this...we've been here before!!!