Introducing New Puppy Into The Household (long)

Cheyenne_Fury

Hi guys,

I'm after some advice and opinions on the best way to introduce a new puppy into a household which already has two dogs.

As some of you will know I have recently gotten a lovely little greyhound pup. Her name is Zahra and she is a real sweetheart. Being a typical puppy she wants to play with my other dogs. Jake a 3 and a half year old dalmatian and Murray a 10 year old beagle. For the most part they do get along reasonably well, but my boys don't seem to want to have much to do with Zahra and all she wants to do is play.

I can understand that Murray is older and is past the playing stage and he is very good with her and just walks away from her if he can or will give a little growl if she is tormenting him too much. I am careful to supervise them fully when they are around each other and if Murray gives a growl I distract Zahra and get her to come away from him.

The real problem is with my other dog Jake. He is the dominant dog of the household, even though he does this in a normally quiet and non threatening way. He was there first and I had him for about a year before getting Murray as company for him. Jake is normally great with other dogs and loves to play and just generally be around them but not so with Zahra. I think that he is majorly put out by me bringing her home and they have had a few run ins. She is very outgoing and mischievious as most puppies are and he has put her back in her place a couple of times by growling at her, but twice now (the second time was this morning) he has "attacked" her. Attacked probably isn't the right word but I'm not sure what else to use. He growls at her and mouths her but has not bitten her or injured her in any way.

When this happened this morning it was when I and the dogs had first gotten up. I was patting Jake and she was in and around my feet and wanting to play with him and he turned and growled and went her. She squealled and cried like someone was killing her and was very frightenend. She cried for about a minute. I picked her up to calm her down and she did after awhile but is now wary of my dalmatian, not that I blame her. I don't want her to grow up being afraid of other dogs and possible develop some fear agression or any other problems. I also don't want Jake thinking that the behaviour he has exhibited twice now is acceptable. I told him NO in a very firm voice and got him off her (he was standing over her) and told him to get out of the room (was in my bedroom at the time)

Sorry for the long run on story but I really need some help and advice on ways to get the two of them to get along so that my household can be happy and I don't have to worry about Zahra possibly getting hurt.

Thanks

Anne

Edited by Cheyenne_Fury

Oh Anne, don't stress too much yet, it takes time

Have you been putting the puppy first? maybe jake is jealous?

They aren't together when you're not home are they? As long as you are there you can watch to see how they get along and if it wears off after a while

I don't know enough about these things to give you real advice though!

Eddie and Molly took a while, and they still have their moments as Molly wants to play more than Eddie, we just keep our eye on them and they are separate during the day

Thanks SM :) They are separated during the day when i'm not home and I do supervise them fully when I am home with them so if anything happens I can control the situation. I have been trying to put Jake first before Zahra but could have inadvertently but her before him. I'll have to be really careful to put him and then Murray and then Zahra. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon.

Thanks Riles :)

Edited by Cheyenne_Fury

My grace who is top dog in this household will do a growl and a mouth to disipline(sp?) the others around here its very handy when mums dog who is an only dog comes to stay she will follow him around growl and mouth him if he tries to hump or get on top of one of the other dogs, after about 10mins mums boy is a very well behaved boy and joins in the pack no worries.

Prehaps Jake was just tring to teach Zahra some manners :) as the others said I wouldnt leave them alone, but also wouldnt jump on Jake and disipline him too hard if Zahra is really annoying him.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks GM it makes really good sense. I do believe that Jake is just asserting his authority and telling her that he's the boss and he will play only when he wants too. Zahra does have a habit of grabbing the boys tails and biting their legs which is normal puppy behaviour but annoys them. I wouldn't leave them alone together unsupervised when I wasn't home because Zahra would probably trash my house and I can't be sure that there wouldn't be an accident and she got hurt.

Might even help to stop Zahra from trying to play too much with him and hassle him as we used to have to do this with Eddie and Tan's Cooper, Eddie would just annoy the crap out of Cooper and it wasn't really fair to punish Coop for it when he didn't do anything

Just as Jake needs to learn it's not acceptable, Zahra needs to know she can't jump all over him :)

Mmmm easy with a pup lol stoppping them from jumping around :)

Good luck!

Guest Piximatosis

Cheyenne - don't worry about it.

When I brought Kaeleigh home Holly loathed her. Despised her. Was irritated beyond all reason by her :)

She growled at her and would often do as you were saying.... mouth her quite noisily and flatten her.

It took about a month, but they started improving and now get on really well. Kaeleigh is now 8 months... Holly is 4 and is a very dominant bitch and she just didn't feel like tolerating puppy behaviour. Kaeleigh has now learned to leave Holly alone when Holly growls :) and Holly now shares her bed with Kaeles, and washes her face for her.

Don't worry about it. I was so stressed by Holly and Kaeles, to the point where I thought they'd have to be permanently separated, but they sorted themselves out in time.

Stella puts the puppies in their place. She'll tolerate them, and play with them, but if they get too much she'll do a little growl.... puppies keep bouncing in her face.... bigger growl.... keep bouncing.... "RARRR!!" ... puppies back off for a second or two.... straight back in and she turns and "RARRRRRRRRRR!" in their face...

.... puppies lay down, wag their tails, and then very quietly start playing together and leaving her alone. Not upset, still grinning like loons, but they've learnt not to be rude.

They are always supervised and only together for short periods, as I figure Stella shouldn't have to put up with puppies all the time and they do want to play like maniacs :)

Her play freaked them out a little bit at first, seeing a huge (to them) dog, bounce up in a play bow going WOOOF! :)

Guest Piximatosis

Kaeleigh and Brody both scream blue murder if another dog even LOOKS like they're going to tell them off.

IGNORE IT. The more you comfort, the more you encourage the behaviour. Trust me :)

If you have to say something... say something like "you'll be right, silly puppy, come on!" and distract them with a toy or something. :)

Guest Piximatosis

It is definitely natural instinct and it can actually be gut wrenching to ignore. It's hard to remember sometimes that they're dogs and not people :)

Yep, sounds like your Alpha is doing his thing - telling the new chick on the block that HE is boss.

Welcome to the world of the Land Shark! They are adoreable and vile at the same time i'm told. Glad to hear youre confining her when youre out cos from all accounts she WOULD trash your place in your absence.

Oh, the Greyhound Scream of Death? get used to that too.... Mine do it occasionally, for the smallest thing, then stand with one foot up till it gets kissed better then theyre fine...

I would supervise their 'play', i feel that Jake is just teaching the babe who is the boss, and how the household works. You said that he hadnt hurt her as such, they seem to be warning 'attacks', and probably quite normal. This little psycho puppy thing has invaded their civilised household and disrupted their lives. It's up to them to teach her the ways... In the wild, the older dogs would teach the pups how things are done and how to behave, mabey its just this instinct coming out in Jake.

If you havnt already, check out www.greytalk.com. It's an american site dedicated to retired racing greyhounds, but theres many on there who have or have had greys from 'land sharks'.

Good luck. I am jealous that you have a greypup - but also thank god that it's you and not me..... know what i mean :rolleyes: ?