Let Me Out.....

How do I teach Rosie to wake me up if she needs to go to the toilet in the middle of the night :rolleyes: She is TOTALLY housetrained however on the odd occassion she obviously needs to go in the middle of the night and doesn't try and wake me (trust me the few times she has I've know, she gives me a lick on my face and I'm straight up).

Thankfully she goes right at the front door which is slate tiles but also an obvious sign she wanted to got out, how can I teach her to wake me up to go out :rofl: I have a friend that KNOWS because her dog yips or barks to be let out if unexpectantly they need to go out.

Thanks in advance.

Love

Riles

Yep not sure how either. We are blessed with Max and if he does need to go he gives a small muffled bark so we get up let him out of the crate and away he goes outside.

Forgot to add....she will probably be okay soon. Once they go over the 12 mth stage they can generally get thru the night without a widdle :rolleyes:

Guest Piximatosis
Put a cat bell around her collar - so that way when she stirs at night, you'll hear it.

Just wanted to add, I tried that with Brody. Problem is you'll ALSO hear it every time she turns around, rolls over, sighs heavily, has a scratch, wags her tail, moves her head... to the point where you no longer wake up when you hear it :rolleyes:

It drove me nuts :rofl:

Yeh but Pix if I teach her to ring a bell, I wont' hear it from the bedroom, maybe a bell with a collar is the way to go :rolleyes: just at night. She has woken me a few times with licks but on the odd occassion she doesn't and we have an accident. I have NO problem getting up in the middle of the night but I just need her to wake me :rofl:

Guest Piximatosis

Shut your bedroom door and teach her to ring it to leave the bedroom?

Or what about a tripwire that turns your bedroom lights on and sets off a siren??

Edited by Piximatosis

I wish Pix, I WISH.... I'll try the bell and see how we go, if only she bark or yip :rolleyes:

I could go back to her being crated each night which guarantees no accidents but I'd prefer the odd accident and her on the queen size bed for cuddles all night. Just wish she knew how to bark. She is a very non vocal do unless she sees Jet (da cow next door at doggie heaven) or strangers on her property. Other than that she just moans when she is sleeping. Not complaining just wished she would bark to be let out or lick me to death.

Edited by Riley

I could go back to crating her at night but I prefer her butt in bed for cuddles, it's worth the odd accident. She is a non vocal dog and only barks at cows (Jet at Doggie Heaven) and strangers on her property..... other than that she only moans and makes funny noises when she is asleep.... I just wish she would bark or lick me to death to wake me up.

toy shops sell infa red tripwires attached to recorded warnings. Set it on low and let the beam go across the bedroom door opening so when she crosses it the alarm goes. Maybe set it on low volume so it doesnt freak you (or her!) out.

Riles the ringing bell would work I reckon that you would hear it :rofl:

I am a pretty light sleeper so I wake up if either of my two boofers get up off the bed (Bubs is in her crate). On the odd occassion that I don't wake up. Muzz bangs on the door to be let out (he's old so has to go out most nights) and Zahra is learning the same by watching him :( I could lend you Muzz for a few nights to teach Rosie if you like :laugh: but make sure that he doesn't nick off into the bush and I can't guarantee he won't leave scratch marks on the door :scold:

Guest Clover

Riles we have the same problem with our oldest girl (8 yr old JRTx), she just wont let us know she needs to go out at night. Hopefully the bell will work for Rosie, if not that trip wire sounds great.

Apolo there is one already, but it is on the security door, being in Melbourne means I have to close the door at night and she can't use it or we'd freezeee this winter.

This morning she got up at 3am and I heard her tags tinkle so I'm definately going to try the bell or trip wire.

Fury - Muz would be off and I'd never find him with all the interesting smells at home :laugh: