*digging For Buried Treasure*

Doglicious

Our 14 week old puppy is presently being toilet trained. We are picking him up and carrying him outside to the place where we want him to go (it's along the left side of the house). He's seems to be getting the hang of it but as soon as he's done, races around to the right side of the house and starts digging frantically at one particular spot. We recently took care of a friends cattle dog while she was away and after she collected her dog I scoured the backyard intensively for any bones she may have left behind. I found all of them (kept count!) so I figured he couldn't be digging up something she'd buried. The first few times he did it I wasn't too worried as I know dogs will dig and I'm not too worried about that, but now he does it all the time. Eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I had a dig too! Turns out it is some kind of poo buried there. It can't be his because he doesn't cover his (do dogs do that BTW or is it just cats?). Anyway, I dug it up and got rid of it but he still goes there religiously. He has his final booster shot next week against parvo and distemper so I'm a bit worried he could pick up parvo from cats getting into our yard. We have tried so hard to keep him quarantined until fully vaccinated and now this! Is there any way we can deter him from this spot? We've taken the dirt out and replaced it and we move him away as soon as he goes near it but he really thinks theres some kind of treasure there.

Also, at what age do male dogs start to cock their legs? He's tried it once, lost his balance and fell over and hasn't tried it since. My mum has a staffy who is 3 and he never does it. She says its because he was rasied by her cattle dog from 4 weeks old (he was a rescue) and he's never had a rolemodel to learn it from so even now he still squats. Could this be true? Iwould have thought somewhere along the line something would 'click' into place and he'd get the hang of it! Any ideas / advice?

As for digging, I have found that placing some of the dogs own manure in the hole or area will stop them from digging. Also try and avert his attention to something else. I guees you need to break the habit. Does he did at other times of the day?

Putting his own poo there didn't stop Kasper...he kept diggin :laugh: but seriously the only way you can stop a dog from doing something it catch them in the act and you have that advantage as you know when he is going to dig.....so next time he does it give a loud argggg or squirt him with a water bottle....hopefully he'll get the picture :eek:

Edited by sheltiesrule

One of my rescue dogs is attempting to dig his way to china :laugh:

We have tried to put his poop in the holes, but it doesnt seem to bother him at all.

He has heaps of bones (you can see one in the pic surrounded by holes) and other toys and there is 3 other dogs for him to play with, but he still digs.

Have tried a water pistol but he loves it so that is no help either......

post-5427-1146023752_thumb.jpg

Also, at what age do male dogs start to cock their legs? He's tried it once, lost his balance and fell over and hasn't tried it since. My mum has a staffy who is 3 and he never does it. She says its because he was rasied by her cattle dog from 4 weeks old (he was a rescue) and he's never had a rolemodel to learn it from so even now he still squats. Could this be true? Iwould have thought somewhere along the line something would 'click' into place and he'd get the hang of it! Any ideas / advice?

I have always thought that if a male dog was desexed at an early age he will never cock his leg.

My friends boy was done early and he is now 7 and still squats

One of my rescue dogs is attempting to dig his way to china :laugh:

We have tried to put his poop in the holes, but it doesnt seem to bother him at all.

He has heaps of bones (you can see one in the pic surrounded by holes) and other toys and there is 3 other dogs for him to play with, but he still digs.

Have tried a water pistol but he loves it so that is no help either......

post-5427-1146023752_thumb.jpg

I have always thought that if a male dog was desexed at an early age he will never cock his leg.

My friends boy was done early and he is now 7 and still squats

Oh my god......I think you might have rabbits ...either that or your doggie thinks he's a hound!! :eek: