Siberian Husky

suzi

hi i have a 10 weeks old husky and a 6 year old maltese they get on great together but after about 20 minutes of play the husky seems to forget to play nice and i have to seperate them as she will bite to hard and the maltese yelps i am not sure if seperating them is best to teach her but i dont want maltese to be hurt either is muzzling an idea i could consider after they have played together for awhile i am not sure as i have been told you should not muzzle a husky. will time sort the rough play out any help would be great. am not sure i have asked this right so please if i have not done so correctly i am sorry

suzi

hi Suzi, welcome to DOL

muzzling is not a good idea, it is only for short term use of for agressive dogs in public.

at ten weeks your pup probably hasn't learnt to control his bite.

let them play and when he get so rought the the maltese tells him off or yelps then seperate them and give the pup a time out in a room by himself and soon he will learn that if he plays too rough the game ends.

i hope this helps.

Christie

HI suzi, I own huskies and I agree with christie a muzzle is not the solution the puppy needs to learn that he/she can't play with her new friend like that so I recommend controled play at all times and perhaps seperate them before your other dog yelps as soon as you can see the husky is being over the top stop the play and let the husky know you will not tolerate that sort of play maybe a stern bad dog and remove the husky and I would take this slow and steady huskies like to dominate and will push the boundry anytime it has an opportunity and they are never too young to show this behaviour I had a litter last november one of my girls wanted to dominate her litter mates pretty much as soon as she could walk and the older she got the more cheeky she become and wouldn't submitt to her mum or my 2 older dogs so I placed her in a one dog home as I felt she would do exactly what your puppy is doing.

I'm just wondering what sort of information you have about huskies, what the breeder may have told you about the breed and dealing with these type of situations, I would be happy if you would like to pm me and I'd be happy to give you some advice about your problem & things that you can do so you can enjoy your puppy instead of what you're experiencing I have some great info on disc about huskies which I'd be happy to post to you and even talk to you over the phone if that helps please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like to talk,

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Michelle

A sibe & a maltese should never be left together & it isnt the sibes fault its plays rough nor is it the malts,more a case of 2 entirely different breeds,needs & age groups.

Muzzling will teach it nothing & most importantky its punishing the pup for doing nothing wrong.

Probably not the best combo of breeds ,i would suggest you have a time out area set up for the maltese because even if the sibe starts to play gentler it wont be gentle enough for a malt & you may find trouble down the track if both try to challenge each other so having sepearte areas for the life of the too will be a safe measure

excuse my ignorance but why cant a siberian husky and a maltese be left together to play. I personally would be mortified if my dogs (and i own hunting dogs)

couldnt be trusted to play with little dogs or any other dogs or cats or whatever. I found that if I was consistant with my boisterous puppies and taught them to be gentle than I never had a problem. rousing on them and time out is enough for my dogs. Its all a learning process for them and its just some puppies who like to feral a bit with their 'mates' who dont always appreciate the attention.

HI suzi, I own huskies and I agree with christie a muzzle is not the solution the puppy needs to learn that he/she can't play with her new friend like that so I recommend controled play at all times and perhaps seperate them before your other dog yelps as soon as you can see the husky is being over the top stop the play and let the husky know you will not tolerate that sort of play maybe a stern bad dog and remove the husky and I would take this slow and steady huskies like to dominate and will push the boundry anytime it has an opportunity and they are never too young to show this behaviour I had a litter last november one of my girls wanted to dominate her litter mates pretty much as soon as she could walk and the older she got the more cheeky she become and wouldn't submitt to her mum or my 2 older dogs so I placed her in a one dog home as I felt she would do exactly what your puppy is doing.

I'm just wondering what sort of information you have about huskies, what the breeder may have told you about the breed and dealing with these type of situations, I would be happy if you would like to pm me and I'd be happy to give you some advice about your problem & things that you can do so you can enjoy your puppy instead of what you're experiencing I have some great info on disc about huskies which I'd be happy to post to you and even talk to you over the phone if that helps please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like to talk,

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Michelle

thank you for your help we are getting there with the dogs and worked out how and when play time is best the husky learns verys fast both dogs now take turns at chasing each other so play time has become a time to share the play. i am not sure if i am replying to this right but any info i can get i am happy about i havent been told alot about the breed but i have done reading and am learning alot and this site has been great with some interesting help. the breeder i got my puppy from didnt have their dogs free they had enclosures so i guess they had different problems with their dogs and were only able to tell me what to expect from experience with their dogs. i am not sure how i would go about the cd and giving you mailing address not sure how that works on here am also not sure if you see my email address or not to reply to me directly and not through here. sorry for not knowing how site works to well is first time i have gone to one but thanks again for all help

excuse my ignorance but why cant a siberian husky and a maltese be left together to play. I personally would be mortified if my dogs (and i own hunting dogs)

couldnt be trusted to play with little dogs or any other dogs or cats or whatever. I found that if I was consistant with my boisterous puppies and taught them to be gentle than I never had a problem. rousing on them and time out is enough for my dogs. Its all a learning process for them and its just some puppies who like to feral a bit with their 'mates' who dont always appreciate the attention.

hi

their is no problem with having a sibe and small dog together provided the owner of the dogs knows what they are doing and the sibe was introduced as a puppy. the thing with sibe is that they need a very special owner, one that understands dogs, pack structure, pray drive, and dominance with dogs. i have 2 sibes and i'm chalanged several times a day by each, the chalanges are so minor, but mean a lot in the relationship with the dogs. a sibe owner must be prepared to deal with this for the rest of the dogs life, and if the owner slakens off it shows, usualy with the rangers knocking on their dore and sezing the dog.

a sibe that is let to do what it want's will think nothing of killing (other animals) except it was fun and lets do it again, this is why some people have posted like they have as they fear for the little dog.

i to have conserns for the small dog but if the owner follows rosepetals advice they can live happaly together.