Cartrophen Injections

Just looked at a receipt from December last year for my boy and it was:

Consultation $44.00

1 x Cartrophen $16.50

I seem to recall the 3 other injections (all one week apart) were @ $10.00 each with no consult fee.

Highly recommend the cartrophen injections - worked wonders for my boy :mad

Edited by caslero

Mine were about $130 for the four jab course... but the boosters thereafter wound up being nearly $50 each because a consult was charged each time.

Cant recall the cost but remember the injections worked well on a Labrador and then he had tabs that were ongoing till he retired from a working role.

Thanks for the feedback, my 10 1/2 year old whippet has just had her third shot, and she does seem to be much better, but my vet just said we'll fix it up at the end of the course, and I was wondering if I'd have to rob a bank or mortgage the house or something similar. Anything for my beautiful girl...............

Trish

At our vet we charge/KG. The first injection also includes a consult fee. So for a 30KG dog, it's approimately $50 for first one, then roughly $10 for each subsequent one until the dog dies. We do 4 x weekly, 2 x fortnightly, then whenever needed. I guess it just depends on your own vet. Do you also give Glucosamine, & Fish Oil capsules, as this will also help with pain.

-WithEverythingIAm

I seem to recall the injections costing around the $16 or so dollar mark, however I can't remember if a consult fee was charged each time. However, I found the Cartrophen injections to be a godsend, and got my little girl through many a month before she was diagnosed with ligament problems. I hope your girl will continue to improve with these shots!!!

And no, you shouldn't have to rob a bank for these shots!!! :thumbsup:

I do give my 3 whippets fish oil, and have been trying to research just which type of glucosmine formula would be the best to give Skye, it seems that a combination of glucosomine and chondroitin is better, do you have any suggestions Witheverythingiam?

I have heard some good reports about Sachsas blend, but I have also heard of some dogs who just vomit it straight up.

Thanks,

Trish

I have my girl on Sasha's Blend, and along with the cartrophen injections it seemed to do her the world of good. Hard to tell now that she has had operations on her leg, but it does seem to help. At the moment though I am looking for another supplement that may be more concentrated than Sasha's. I would really prefer a tablet form so that I know she's getting the right dosage.

My old girl is on Sasha's Blend, and a monthly cartrophen injection. She is 16, and has been on 3 legs since she was 4. It is so obvious now when she's getting due for her shot, that I think this winter we might even give them to her a bit closer as they make such a difference to her quality of life, and its all about quality now for us. :thumbsup:

I have tried different joint foods over the years with her, even equine ones. For her, the cartrophen gets us through winter and has more effect. But I have heard other cases where it is the opposite.

I guess we just try everything we can for our precious furkids. I have given everything on the market a go. Playing around with something like joint food, I honestly believe, is well worth the trouble. The effects of different brands can be very different.

Our vet uses Pentosan which is the same as Cartrophen but cheaper, he charges $100 for the 4 but said we could come back every 6 months for 2 shots rather than 4 so it would be cheaper.

We have been using Joint Guard on our boy for about a month or so and it is brilliant, as good as Cosequin but much cheaper! We just moved to a house with a sloping block and lots of stairs and our boy is doing really well, no probs at all. We are now giving the Joint Guard to our 7 month bully as well as a preventative and they both get Omega 3 and 6 oil which helps their coats as well!