Desexing

Hello all,

We're approaching a date when we'll desex our male pup (we'll keep the bitch as-is for now, and see how it goes, maybe we'll breed later on) and the vet where I plan to do this offered us a whole bunch of options for this procedure. There're different tests and treatments based on price. I can pay the top price, but then our friends did it for a fraction of the cost a year ago and their dog is ok. I wanted to know, in particular, how important is the test that they have to determine whether the dog has allergies to a particular drug - let's say he's allergic, then what? Again, don't take me wrong - if it's better, I'm ready to get the best, but if there's no real difference, then I don't see the point...

Any opinions welcome :mad

I think some vet clinics offer to do a blood work up pre surgery and it is or can be an extra If the client choses.

Also I think some clinics offer the choice of pain meds. These things are optional to the client at some Vet Hospitals.

I think it just confuses people or makes people feel guilty If they pick the less expensive option.

I have never heard of testing for drug allergies, it does seem extreme though because they don't do it for humans as far as I know. Well they have never tested me or my family pre surgery for anything. :mad

True Morgan :mad

Or it could be a butt-covering exercise...... If you don't give people the option then they can come back and bite you if something was to go wrong!

But if you give them the options based on IF something did go wrong, the owner choses not to take them up, somethings goes wrong then the vet can say "well we offered you the option but you knocked it back"

We offer pre-anaesthetic blood tests and it is always offered as an optional and the procedure and cost explained. It is never about trying to get more money from our clients but rather helping them to make an informed decision. I mean, what if something did go wrong and could have been prevented with one test? The client would, quite rightly, feel that we had been negligent in not giving them that option.

DennisV - it all comes down to what you as an individual think is going to be best for both yourself and your dog. And I might add that I hope you don't make your final decision based on the fact your friends dog was ok - like humans, every animal reacts to drugs and anaesthetics differently.

Best of luck :mad

I don't understand what the different options are, can you explain a bit more?

I finally found the paper they gave us, so I can quote them:

- Gold

- surgery

- pain relief during and after surgery

- pre-anaesthetic blood test

- intravenous fluids

- Silver

- surgery

- intravenous fluids

- Bronze

- surgery

So, I thought that pre-anaesthetic blood test is actually a drug test, guess not :thumbsup:

What about intravenous fluids? Is that a good idea? The dog is healthy, but if the result of the operation can be better (easier for the dog?) with those fluids, then I guess I'd opt for them. The prices are 200, 300 and 350$. I guess being feeling safer is worth the extra cost, I just want to know if it actually physically matters to the pup.

I have never heard of testing for drug allergies, it does seem extreme though because they don't do it for humans as far as I know. Well they have never tested me or my family pre surgery for anything. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I guess I confused the pre-anaesthetic blood test with a drug allergy test - I'm not a medical person :thumbsup:

We offer pre-anaesthetic blood tests and it is always offered as an optional and the procedure and cost explained. It is never about trying to get more money from our clients but rather helping them to make an informed decision. I mean, what if something did go wrong and could have been prevented with one test? The client would, quite rightly, feel that we had been negligent in not giving them that option.

DennisV - it all comes down to what you as an individual think is going to be best for both yourself and your dog. And I might add that I hope you don't make your final decision based on the fact your friends dog was ok - like humans, every animal reacts to drugs and anaesthetics differently.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Yes, that's the test I meant... So it is worth to take the test, right? There are cases when somethings do go wrong because of some condition that cannot be visibly detected? :thumbsup:

I guess I'd rather feel safe than sorry, of course I wouldn't want anything bad happening to my pup either during or after the opeartion.

Thanks!

I finally found the paper they gave us, so I can quote them:

- Gold

- surgery

- pre-anaesthetic blood test

- intravenous fluids

- Silver

- surgery

- intravenous fluids

- Bronze

- surgery

So, I thought that pre-anaesthetic blood test is actually a drug test, guess not

What about intravenous fluids? Is that a good idea? The dog is healthy, but if the result of the operation can be better (easier for the dog?) with those fluids, then I guess I'd opt for them. The prices are 200, 300 and 350$. I guess being feeling safer is worth the extra cost, I just want to know if it actually physically matters to the pup.

No surgery is simple, However a dog castration is fairly straight foward.

Most clinics i know generally perform option Three "BRONZE".

IV Fluids are generally only neccasary in lenghthy surguries or for animals 7yo +.

Pre-anaesthetics Blood test is a personal choice and is up to the owner.

There is one test that is vital. Generally only applicable to Dobermann owners. its very simple and its to ensure that the blood clots.

I would strongly reccomend speaking with other Vets (Outside the Bayside Suburbs) and getting quotes and opinions, also speak with your vet and ask for a better understanding of their options and their reccomendations.

The average price for a Dog Castration is $80-150.

IMHO because of your location and the "general" type of clientele in that area, i think you will find that the prices are higher and these options are made available, which are sometimes not neccasary.

Edited by Vizsla

No surgery is simple, However a dog castration is fairly straight foward.

Most clinics i know generally perform option Three "BRONZE".

IV Fluids are generally only neccasary in lenghthy surguries or for animals 7yo +.

Pre-anaesthetics Blood test is a personal choice and is up to the owner.

There is one test that is vital. Generally only applicable to Dobermann owners. its very simple and its to ensure that the blood clots.

I would strongly reccomend speaking with other Vets (Outside the Bayside Suburbs) and getting quotes and opinions, also speak with your vet and ask for a better understanding of their options and their reccomendations.

The average price for a Dog Castration is $80-150.

IMHO because of your location and the "general" type of clientele in that area, i think you will find that the prices are higher and these options are made available, which are sometimes not neccasary.

Thank you for the answer. I own a labrador (actually 2 of them, but we're desexing just one at the moment) and they're 5 months old now (we'll have the operation at 6 month). I had a feeling that the prices were a bit high, but now I know for sure :thumbsup:

On the other hand, we always go to this same clinic, so maybe it's better to have the operation there as well, because the doctors have full animal history? But I'll still check around to see other prices, as it seems that they are cheaper by more than two-fold :thumbsup:

I had two older bitches speyed earlier this year. One had a few growths cut off at the same time, so was anaesthetised longer. I have pain medication here, but imo, neither needed it - they wer both very sprightly, and much as usual.

I don't know that a male dog would need pain medication - certainly not before the op - and probably not after. Only ever done a few boys, and only 1 had a problem. I think the stitches were too tight.

I'd go for the bronze option too!

I had two older bitches speyed earlier this year. One had a few growths cut off at the same time, so was anaesthetised longer. I have pain medication here, but imo, neither needed it - they wer both very sprightly, and much as usual.

I don't know that a male dog would need pain medication - certainly not before the op - and probably not after. Only ever done a few boys, and only 1 had a problem. I think the stitches were too tight.

I'd go for the bronze option too!

Thank you :thumbsup:

At our clinic our "standard" castrations and speys all include IV fluids and pain meds during and after. Off the top of my head I think our castration price is aroung $138. Its a much nicer experience for the animal to have pain relief and fluids - I know I wouldn't want my bits taken out then to be told go home with no pain relief - OW! But then again as has been said it is personal choice and what you can afford.

The pre-anaesthetic blood test is very worth it in my opinion and we charge $80 on top of the castration fee to perform it. Yes, we have had animals come for surgery, had the pre-anaesthethic blood test and had problems found. The majority of the tests come back fine but personally I just wouldn't want to take that risk - George has a test every time even if it is just to have his teeth cleaned - he's my baby.

Have you thought about maybe shopping around to find out what other clinics in your area offer and for what cost?

Wherever you decide to have the surgery done, I'd probably be opting for the pre-anaesthetic blood test. If nothing else, this gives you a nice baseline on your dog's blood levels while healthy - could be useful in assisting diagnosis if the dog in later life has an episode of being unwell (which hopefully will never happen.) Bit like insurance, really.

Good luck to you and the boy!

Edited by Tassie

At our clinic our "standard" castrations and speys all include IV fluids and pain meds during and after. Off the top of my head I think our castration price is aroung $138. Its a much nicer experience for the animal to have pain relief and fluids - I know I wouldn't want my bits taken out then to be told go home with no pain relief - OW! But then again as has been said it is personal choice and what you can afford.

The pre-anaesthetic blood test is very worth it in my opinion and we charge $80 on top of the castration fee to perform it. Yes, we have had animals come for surgery, had the pre-anaesthethic blood test and had problems found. The majority of the tests come back fine but personally I just wouldn't want to take that risk - George has a test every time even if it is just to have his teeth cleaned - he's my baby.

Have you thought about maybe shopping around to find out what other clinics in your area offer and for what cost?

Thank you - your prices are much nicer :thumbsup: I understand your point about the test and it is very valid, it's better to be safe than sorry. Pain relief is also a must, that's for sure (actually that comes on top at an additional price). I think that the vet is just charging way too much from the sound of it. It would cost me close to $400 if I chose all the options :thumbsup:

I think I'll need to shop around as you suggest... The only thing that stopped me from doing this in the first place is that we have the dog's history (however short) with this vet and they're the closest to where we live. Am I being lazy? :rolleyes:

Wherever you decide to have the surgery done, I'd probably be opting for the pre-anaesthetic blood test. If nothing else, this gives you a nice baseline on your dog's blood levels while healthy - could be useful in assisting diagnosis if the dog in later life has an episode of being unwell (which hopefully will never happen.) Bit like insurance, really.

Good luck to you and the boy!

Yes, I see that most people recommend this, so we'll do that :thumbsup:

Thank you!