Snoring...

Hello all,

One of my labs snores a lot (he wakes me up, eventhough he's only 5 months old), while the other doesn't snore at all. I think this is more of an "individual" snore rather than a "breed" thing, so I'm looking into options of trying to get rid of the snore. I was told that there's a simple operation performed on humans (at least in Europe) that gets rid of the snore once and for all. I was wondering if anyone heard of such a thing, but for dogs here in Australia?

There're also some sprays that should stop snoring, but I haven't tried them and I'm not sure that a spray is ok for a dog's nose - they are more sensitive than humans after all?

Any opinions welcome, I'm a keen sleeper, but he sleeps so well that I can't wake him up by simply shouting (and waking up everyone else in the house) - I actually have to get up and walk over to him to shake him a bit :thumbsup: , so I'd love it if there was a solution to this problem (can't solve farting though, but that doesn't hurt my sleep :thumbsup: )

Thanks in advance.

Snoring means he has a problem. It may not neccessarily mean a big problem or even a dangerous problem but it is something that should be looked at by a vet. it is more then just a 'noise' issue.

I would suggest possible soft palate probs or nasal stenosis.....

Hello all,

One of my labs snores a lot (he wakes me up, eventhough he's only 5 months old), while the other doesn't snore at all. I think this is more of an "individual" snore rather than a "breed" thing, so I'm looking into options of trying to get rid of the snore. I was told that there's a simple operation performed on humans (at least in Europe) that gets rid of the snore once and for all. I was wondering if anyone heard of such a thing, but for dogs here in Australia?

There're also some sprays that should stop snoring, but I haven't tried them and I'm not sure that a spray is ok for a dog's nose - they are more sensitive than humans after all?

Any opinions welcome, I'm a keen sleeper, but he sleeps so well that I can't wake him up by simply shouting (and waking up everyone else in the house) - I actually have to get up and walk over to him to shake him a bit :thumbsup: , so I'd love it if there was a solution to this problem (can't solve farting though, but that doesn't hurt my sleep :thumbsup: )

Thanks in advance.

My husband has had the snore operation, where they remove part of the upper palate ( shorten it) he was in incredible pain for weeks, whenever he drank the fluid would come out his nose through the hole that was made by the operation( this happened till the palate healed) He stated he would never go through with it again or anything similar, and he has a high pain threshold!!

Snoring means he has a problem. It may not neccessarily mean a big problem or even a dangerous problem but it is something that should be looked at by a vet. it is more then just a 'noise' issue.

I would suggest possible soft palate probs or nasal stenosis.....

Hmm, yes, I suspected that it could mean some other problems as well :thumbsup: I'll talk to my vet. We're due for desexing soon, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to do any painful stuff (if there's any) while he was sedated for the operation.

My husband has had the snore operation, where they remove part of the upper palate ( shorten it) he was in incredible pain for weeks, whenever he drank the fluid would come out his nose through the hole that was made by the operation( this happened till the palate healed) He stated he would never go through with it again or anything similar, and he has a high pain threshold!!

Oh, very sorry to hear that. I assumed that it's a simple operation that doesn't have any further effects, but I wouldn't want my puppy to suffer for a few weeks :thumbsup: I'll need to do a lot more research on this subject I guess...

Hmm, yes, I suspected that it could mean some other problems as well :thumbsup: I'll talk to my vet. We're due for desexing soon, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to do any painful stuff (if there's any) while he was sedated for the operation.

Yes - good thinking. :thumbsup: If anything needs ot be done it is best to get it done at one time usually.

Hmm, yes, I suspected that it could mean some other problems as well :rolleyes: I'll talk to my vet. We're due for desexing soon, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to do any painful stuff (if there's any) while he was sedated for the operation.

Yes - good thinking. :cool: If anything needs ot be done it is best to get it done at one time usually.

Thanks :thumbsup: Now I just need to find out whether it'll have such long-lasting effect, as described above. I hope not :thumbsup:

A friend of ours had the op for 'fixing' snoring. Not only was it appallingly painful, but his wife woke to find him choking in the night. The op site had opened and bleeding. Fortunately his wife was an experienced nurse & her immediate actions saved him....before he was rushed to hospital.

Like you, we have 2 dogs (tibbies)...one snores & the other doesn't. We've got used to the snorer (sounds like a small freight train).

When LB2's tibbie comes to stay, she also snores. And the two of them synchronize their snores to go one after the other....so no peaceful pauses!!!

But tibbies are only small dogs....no big spaces like a Lab's for the snores to get added resonance & amplification. So I can imagine how BIG your problem is. Maybe the safest way to deal with it is for the Lab & pal to sleep in another room.

A friend of ours had the op for 'fixing' snoring. Not only was it appallingly painful, but his wife woke to find him choking in the night. The op site had opened and bleeding. Fortunately his wife was an experienced nurse & her immediate actions saved him....before he was rushed to hospital.

Like you, we have 2 dogs (tibbies)...one snores & the other doesn't. We've got used to the snorer (sounds like a small freight train).

When LB2's tibbie comes to stay, she also snores. And the two of them synchronize their snores to go one after the other....so no peaceful pauses!!!

But tibbies are only small dogs....no big spaces like a Lab's for the snores to get added resonance & amplification. So I can imagine how BIG your problem is. Maybe the safest way to deal with it is for the Lab & pal to sleep in another room.

Thank you for the reply - that makes it 2 against the operation now... It's quite unfortunate that this operation is so serious and has such bad effects afterwards :thumbsup:

Sleeping in another room is pretty much out of the question, because he won't go :thumbsup: He is used to sleeping with our second dog and she always sleeps with us and it's too late now to change the rules :rolleyes: They would just scratch at the door all night.

Has anyone actually used those anti-snoring sprays or are the bad for the dog's nose (or wherever they're administered to)?

you could always crate your snorer in a different room. I found my dogs accepted the crate very quickly (mind you it was an improvement to outside) ... :confused:

Or better still, crate both the dogs in the same crate. Just make sure there is enough room.

you could always crate your snorer in a different room. I found my dogs accepted the crate very quickly (mind you it was an improvement to outside) ... :laugh:

Or better still, crate both the dogs in the same crate. Just make sure there is enough room.

Um, I wouldn't actually want to crate my dogs :confused: How will they go outside when they need to at night? And they would need a huge crate anyway (2 large labs), which we wouldn't have space for in the house. I'd rather fix the problem by medical means or if all else fails (or is too painful for the dog), I guess I'll try to adapt somehow :confused: Thanks for the suggestion though :cheers:

Speak to your vet before your lab is due to be desexed. The soft palate surgeries I have seen performed have not seemed that painful, with most dogs eating soft foods the next morning. I believe some vets now use a laser to cut and cauterise the soft palate and that this has even quicker healing times.

My mum got so used to our old lab snoring that when he had to be put to sleep (got cancer) mum couldn't sleep as the room was too quiet!!

Speak to your vet before your lab is due to be desexed. The soft palate surgeries I have seen performed have not seemed that painful, with most dogs eating soft foods the next morning. I believe some vets now use a laser to cut and cauterise the soft palate and that this has even quicker healing times.

My mum got so used to our old lab snoring that when he had to be put to sleep (got cancer) mum couldn't sleep as the room was too quiet!!

Oh, that sounds good - the laser I mean, thank you for the good news :confused: I'm sure I'd be able to find someone in Melbourne who can do this once I know what to look for :cheers:

I know about the sound - I moved from an apartment on a busy street to a country house (in Europe, where I'm from) and I couldn't sleep, because there were no cars at 2am :confused: But now I'm the other way around, go figure... :laugh:

shih tzu' snore all the time they r fine they don't have any breavin' problems i snore to and i'm fine should i see a vet alsoZ?Z ha ha ha

LOL!!!! yeah I snore too apparently so does hubby. My son was snoring like an old sow the other night lol..He denied it of course when I told him about it. Both my boofers snore, we are used to it now. We gently nudge with a foot through the night which makes them turn position. This way the snorning usually stops

shih tzu' snore all the time they r fine they don't have any breavin' problems i snore to and i'm fine should i see a vet alsoZ?Z ha ha ha

LOL!!!! yeah I snore too apparently so does hubby. My son was snoring like an old sow the other night lol..He denied it of course when I told him about it. Both my boofers snore, we are used to it now. We gently nudge with a foot through the night which makes them turn position. This way the snorning usually stops

Well, even I snore sometimes, I have to admit :) but I can be turned over by my wife, while my dog sleeps 3 meters from me, so I'd have to get up to turn him over, which I do from time to time now, but then it takes a while for me to get back to sleep.