Woofbix From Big W

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are trying to do the best by the dogs and anything that makes their poo orange/red (meatybites) I figure cant be too good for them.

We have a couple of wholesale places and I am going to speak to them and see what deals we can come up with.

Thanks everyone.

We have a couple of wholesale places and I am going to speak to them and see what deals we can come up with.

Don't forget a bit of the old quid pro quo, GP.

Ask the suppliers whether they will consider offering discounted or free stock (in the case of damaged bags) in return for you displaying their business cards at the Pound, their flyer on the wall, their food drums visible to the public from behind a locked kennel door, that sort of thing. It usually helps and is no skin off your nose.

Hi everyone,

I saw WoofBix in Big W on the weekend for just under $12 a bag. Does anyone know anything about them?

I am looking for a pound alternative to meatybites......Any suggestions at a reasonable price would be great. I am also looking into Coprice. Does anyone know anything about it? Meatybite turn their poo the same colour as the biscuts. It kind of concerns me regarding what colours are in there.

Please dont turn this into a raw food vs dry food debate. Whilst appreciate the information on a normal basis the pound is not the ideal place for a BARF diet. Dry food is the best as far as cost,storage etc. Whilst I know dogs shouldnt just be on dry food I dont have much choice. I dont think my boss would appreciate a huge bill for raw meat :D I do what I can as far as getting bones to them out of my own personal money but I still need a dry food recomendation. Anyone who has worked in a pound knows that Councils are not too keen on spending money on them.......

Thanks

i have used the coprice family in the past for my lab and b/c as it is rice based(opposed to ceral) and contains garlic and kelp also.. it was a brilliant food dogs did very well on it

My dogs get mainly raw, but I always have kibble on hand for when I can't get into the markets to buy them raw. My preference has been the Bonnie Working Dog, which isn't terribly expensive and seemed to agree with all of my dogs.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sometime ago I complied a list of all doggy food retailers with the idea of asking for sponsorship or something along those lines but I figured no one would be interested in smaller countryCouncil pounds. I will definately get onto it and give it a go. It cant hurt to try....

I will let you know how I go

Thanks again

Joanne

Joanne

Let me know how you go I tried last year all the Pet Food Companies for donations for Foster food, but came up against a closed door, however they always help out at Expo time with heaps of prizes. The RSPCA over here have a lot of luck at Supermarkets with the crushed dog food cans and out of date biscuits, they always have heaps donated to them, as our local lass always throws a bit our way!!

• 3 weeks later...

We feed our poodles on Coprice and they do well on it, with lots of fresh food too. Coprice are now making a good puppy food. I think the BigW food is made by Coprice as well, just a cheaper, lower protein recipe. Haven't tried it, Coprice is reasonably priced and we are happy with it.

I did try feeding my Dogs the Big W product, but I'm not happy with the nutritional value of it. I know its difficult to tell but they didn't seem the same after a few weeks. I've never had any issues with Chum - which is great value from Big W less than $1 per kilo.

I've noticed recently they have a new Natural Pedigree Meaty Bites product in Big W. Its more expensive but nothing artificial - the dogs really enjoy it. I'll give it a few more weeks to see how they go on it but I think its great. I've never had any problems with the normal Pedigree Meaty Bites though?

I just grabbed some of the Pal Pedigree from the shops. I was undecided about which brand to use but now I bought the Pal I dont thionk I want to use it after reading all the bits and pieces here about cereals being the main product. I think it is in Pedigree. I think I'll stick to Bonnie. I was just hoping to be able to buy it in smaller packets but the places around here sell it in 18kg bags for $35 ... I also saw some Coprice 20kg for $22. That seems really good value, but honestly I just dont understand ingredients and nutrition info on the dry food to decifer it all. I also feed Ecopet roll which is very good for dogs so I'm probably not as fussed about feeding a 'premium' dry. I dont think I'll buy Pal again and I'm reading all this stuff about introducing brands of foods and not chopping and changing so not sure if I should just ditch the Pal or just use it up and then switch again once the bag's gone, only grabbed a small 3kg bag today but didn't get the receipt to return !!!!.

I've never had any issues with Chum - which is great value from Big W less than $1 per kilo.

I would rather feed pedigree pal (the new natural line just out) than Chum anyday. (imo)

My dogs would not eat pal dry adult-but would eat the puppy one or for small dogs. Sometimes in the colder weather I would feed the puppy one to my SWF because of weight gain needed.

I think Supercoat is a cheaper alternative and many dogs I know do very well on it.

• 16 years later...