Nail Trimming.

Let me preface this with.... I screwed up.

To continue....

I have a bouncy, healthy Vizsla who, at 11 months old, has not really had his nails clipped. Firstly, I was advised by my vet that his nails did not need to be trimmed, that they would wear down naturally. Well, they didn't. He spends a lot of his time on grass, not pavement.

The next bit of advice was to walk him on pavement for about an hour a day, but not to cut into his play time (which is two hours a day).

I have not been able to fit in the extra hour, unfortunately, AND... I did try to do his nails once. He bled like a stuck pig and now panics any time I have attempted it since. I have a Dremel (thinking I could grind them lightly), which I attempted to use today, that sent him into a pretty panicked state.

:rofl:Has anyone else screwed up like this and been able to eventually convince your dog they need a trim?

I would use the dremmel.

Take your time at first (you may need some one to hold him) just have the dremmel running and just pat and reward him, don't try to dremmel or touch his feet. Try to keep it a very low key event and reward him with some really yummy treats when he is calm. You may need to do this every day for a few days. Its a good idea to do it before something that he finds really rewarding like going for a walk. When he will let you do this and doesn't appear to worry try picking up his feet with the dremmel running but stil don't touch his feet with the dremmel. When he accepts this calmly, I would start to dremmel his nails but ony just a quick touch of the dremmel on his nails so he can slowly get used to the feel of the vibrations from the dremmel. I reward with a treat after every paw.

If you take your time and don't rush you will be able to get him over this, be patient. You really need to do it everyday until he gets over it and try to make it very rewarding.

When you get to the point that you can dremmel remember the dremmel makes the nail very hot so don't dremmel the one nail for more than three seconds. I keep the nail secure between my thumb and fore finger so it doesn't vibrate as much. I work around the dog paw by paw.

Good Luck

I think most of us have cut nails back too far at one time or another thats why I love the dremmel.

I would use the dremmel.

Take your time at first (you may need some one to hold him) just have the dremmel running and just pat and reward him, don't try to dremmel or touch his feet. Try to keep it a very low key event and reward him with some really yummy treats when he is calm. You may need to do this every day for a few days. Its a good idea to do it before something that he finds really rewarding like going for a walk. When he will let you do this and doesn't appear to worry try picking up his feet with the dremmel running but stil don't touch his feet with the dremmel. When he accepts this calmly, I would start to dremmel his nails but ony just a quick touch of the dremmel on his nails so he can slowly get used to the feel of the vibrations from the dremmel. I reward with a treat after every paw.

If you take your time and don't rush you will be able to get him over this, be patient. You really need to do it everyday until he gets over it and try to make it very rewarding.

When you get to the point that you can dremmel remember the dremmel makes the nail very hot so don't dremmel the one nail for more than three seconds. I keep the nail secure between my thumb and fore finger so it doesn't vibrate as much. I work around the dog paw by paw.

Good Luck

I think most of us have cut nails back too far at one time or another thats why I love the dremmel.

Thank you for your solid, practical advice. We will take it slow and steady! I'll update with our results in a week or so...

No problems at all. :D

BTW Pax's beauty tip of the week.

Dremmels are great for removing hard skin from your own feet plus it lets you know how hot it gets and how long to keep it on the one spot for. :D

:confused: :rolleyes:

I have a great attachment for dremmeling dogs nails but I don't know how to attach it. If some one knows how i could email it to them so they could attach to this topic.

Edited by PAX

I have a great attachment for dremmeling dogs nails but I don't know how to attach it. If some one knows how i could email it to them so they could attach to this topic

Which attachment do you use? I assume it's not the drill bit :D

I've never actually got close, as Chloe won't let us near them!!!

We have to have them done by the vets. Generally when she is under anaesthetic for xrays etc, or just for a check up. I think she trusts them more than her family!!!

Good luck!!

Dremmels are great for removing hard skin from your own feet plus it lets you know how hot it gets and how long to keep it on the one spot for. :D

:confused: :rolleyes:

I have a great attachment for dremmeling dogs nails but I don't know how to attach it. If some one knows how i could email it to them so they could attach to this topic.

Is that the doberdawn article? It's good. I think you can highlight the webpage address, then 'copy' and 'paste" into the test of your reply.

I agree with the beauty tip above :D

I've stuffed up with making my minature poodle's nails bleed- they're black, so it's hard to see the 'quick', but have since successfully used the Dremmel- can't say he likes it, though. Poodles have long memories. Have also used it with bigger dogs- much easier than nail clippers IMHO. Just use it in quick bursts on not-too-high setting for your dog. Must use fine sandpaper as the metal attachments get way too hot. The sandpaper gets hot if used for too long, too.

Another vote for the dremel here, makes life so much easier and I havent made one black nail bleed yet :D At first my guys were a bit concerned but now they lay in my lap as soon as I sit on the ground with the dremel.

As for the attatchment i use the round sanding band its like a ring of sandpaper

I've just started to use the Dremel on Zedley, I am doing one nail at a time, and not doing it too far. He is adjusting just fine, and he gets a treat when he stays still. He has really long nails and they don't wear off on the pavement either :D

Also I'd suggest reward training for being tolerant of this exercise, rewarding for being still when holding paw, increasing the length of time between command and reward then step up to being still while tool (dremel on or nail clipper touching nail) reward and then onto actually trimming the nail and reward.

I had to do this with my wei whom seemed to be born with a phobia for nail trimming.

Also remember to do a little at a time at quite often over an extended period of time the quick has moved down the nail so trim little and often.

goodluck !

Jinta has issues with nail trimming too....why are some dogs so protective of their nails???

Ok I admit I screwed up slightly when she was a pup and went too short on 1 nail, but 3 yrs later, if I pick up the clipers, she runs off, or growls at me( this is the ONE time she will or has shown agression towards me)

I doubt a vibrating tool will be any less stressful...i rely on vet visits to keep her nails trim, and walks on concrete help a little but not much. Id invest in a dremmel if I thought she would let me use it.

I have been a dog groomer for sometime and alot of dogs don't like the preasure on the nails I'ld also recomeand that when she is resting for a pat, play with her feet every night so she learns that having her feet touch if a good thing. :D not only to learn that it doesn't always hurt when you touch them . this is not only important just to dog thier nails but to have inbetween thier toes and pads check for grass seads, ticks ect.if the dog has no back problems try having someone hold her on a lead to comfort her and keep her distracted ,and do it like u r shoeing a horse sometimes what they can't see don't hurt. that way seemed to work good for me and the dogs can't fight you as hard. and sorry most dogs only need to get 1bleeding nail and they never forget. good luck

also if they do bleed try condies crystles it does hurt a little bit but stops the bleeding quicker then any thing else I have tried just a few crystles on the tip of your finger and count to 10.it quaterizes it shut you can get it from the chemist. falling that if your stuck cigeret ash will work to.

Edited by SHIHTZUSHELL

Thanks for the info guys. Will purchase a dremmel as I have two black nailed dogs.

this is not only important just to dog thier nails but to have inbetween thier toes and pads check for grass seads, ticks ect.

I already handle Bella's feet reqularly as my "Delicate Little Angel" (all 30kgs) often comes to me with sticks and stones stuck between her toes. A half metre one once. I check her feet and toes all the time cause she has had so many of these :D

You can buy Dremel copies at Bunnings for around $40. I also use the sandpaper discs.

Caslero, thanks for putting the dremmel link up, Its a 'must read' if you want to dremmel nails. :thumbsup:

Good to see I am not alone!

Well, turned the dremel on today- Shiloh stayed as far away as possible! I will just be really gradual- get him used to the noise, give him something extra special when the noise happens so to help him change the association... baby steps.

Some friends of friends had a dog who could barely walk as his feet were all twisted because his nails were so long. Their excuse was; "Oh he doesn't like us clipping his nails..." !!! (I felt like driving nails through their feet.) No dog likes having their nails clipped. My dogs don't mind me touching their feet, even using the clippers on their feet, but they don't like their nails being clipped. I understand, I hate going to the dentist, but it has to be done. Good on you, BellasPerson, first for realising he needed his nails cut, no matter what the vet says, and second for not giving up easily. I often think of that poor dog shuffling around on his twisted feet.

BTW Pax's beauty tip of the week.

Dremmels are great for removing hard skin from your own feet plus it lets you know how hot it gets and how long to keep it on the one spot for.

Excellen tip Pax. I'll be able to catch men with foot fetishes now cause my feet are all soft :thumbsup: . Have been doing some Dremel "knockoff" acclimitisation using myself as test subject.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Rob 6014 giving up is not in my vocabulary, I just find another way to do what has to be done..