Triangle Of Temptation

Thanks for this K9,

I have been really keen to try some of your 'stuff' since Lablover has been telling everyone of your virtues!

But being away travelling I couldn't really do anything about it until now.

I have only had the boys on this programme for 3 days but already I am seeing differences, I am also learning more about my boys.

The big surprise for me is that Clancy my 10 1/2 month old Whippet is just soaking it all up, just won't take his eyes off me and has voluntarily thrown in a sit for good measure! While the older lad Carlin is taking longer to 'catch on', despite his additional years of obedience and retrieving training.....that surprised me.

So far no probs though, but if I do hit any 'brick walls' it is good to know you are here!

Thanks again

Annie and her boyz

K9 You're a champion for sharing this stuff!

But l have a conundrum for you. I was telling a friend about the TOT today, she has 5 dogs who all have issues of one sort or another....some sort of bully cross, adoption greyhound, adoption border collie, addoption cattle cross and a great dane. (BC is speyed male, all the rest are speyed females except the great dane which is entire bitch) To sort her issues with being alpha and to cut the squabbling down, which dog would you start the TOT with? The alpha, the meddling middle hierachy, or the most subordinate?

I'm no expert, but from what steve/K9 has taught me, i think you would do each dog seperately to decrease the level of distraction - in the beginning at least until you have built up time and distance.

steve/K9:

The rule you need to remember is:

Time before distance before distraction.

...hope this isnt far from the truth lol

Should I keep them on the tie-back?

S: If you have no problems tying them out at say a coffee shop etc, then no...

Should I be asking for different commands before I start asking for time?

K9: to keep it simple I like to get one command solid with everything I want including distance & time before I add to others, seems to be clearer to the dog...

After seeing your dog, this wont take but a few days...

And when I did try and ask for a "down" ... 2 of my dogs were obviously in overdrive (peak) and didn't comply ... what am I doing wrong here?

K9: possibly that they are distracting each other, or that the food is still too close...

Should I just be happy to get them to sit and look and wait for up to and over the 3 minutes while still on the tie-back before doing anything else different?

K9: yes there isnt any reason not too...

K9: when giving my dog the food. Do i need to be around while he eating?

When my dog eat.. if i walk around the room (i feed him inside my room as that's the only place is quiet).. my dog will follow me and see what i am doing.

I got to redo the method again and watch tv not doing anything else then my dog will quietly eat.

How about, if my dog ate 1/4 portion of the food (my dog have habit take long hrs to finish a meal). Do i take away the food or leave it there?

Edited by Haze

H: when giving my dog the food. Do i need to be around while he eating?

K9: no by then the excercise is over...

H: When my dog eat.. if i walk around the room (i feed him inside my room as that's the only place is quiet).. my dog will follow me and see what i am doing.

K9: your dog is not in food drive, fast the dog one night & try again...

How about, if my dog ate 1/4 portion of the food (my dog have habit take long hrs to finish a meal). Do i take away the food or leave it there?

K9 place the food on the ground for 10 minutes, every day after 10 minutes, pick up the uneaten food & throw it away...

No, its not

• Cruel
  • mean
  • or anything like that.

No, your dog will not

• Starve
  • hate you.

I don't have any questions..........but.... thank you k9 for your words of wisdom........I have used these techniques with great success for awhile.......

Great thread :thumbsup:

Edited by rottywoman

I want to say thankyou for your words of wisdom to :thumbsup: I have saved all your articles and will be putting them all into practice when our new puppy arrives. Not to mention it makes very interesting reading and definatly gives you stuff to think about.

Edited by veanna

This is great stuff K9. I have been away for one month in NZ and Ben has been getting away with blue murder while I have been absent. Two nights of this and he is back to being an obedient (if opportunistic) dog!