Triangle Of Temptation

Even dumber question. Where will this take us?

better/longer sit stays?

Xena seems to be coping with this quite well. I can tie her out, walk away ( I got distracted by neighbours last weekend and left her for 10 minutes). She puts up with other dog wandering about.

What are the other benefits?

K9: take a look at the first post, it details some of the benefits there...

Told you it was a dumb question, especially when i have a copy of this pn my office and re read it often.

I can especially relate to this 'It enhances the Alpha status of the person who commands the triangle

My dog seems to be continually looking at me as if checking that everything is ok.

oi k9 i asked a question further up which you must have missed...that age must be catching up with you lol (hope i didn't mss the answer lol)...this is basically it:

does she need to be in drive thru the whole exercise?

This is my 12 week old pup doing the TOT. We removed the back tie around 2 weeks ago and are working on increasing the time. He watches me the whole time until I say ok, the worst he's done is snuck a few steps forward towards the bowl and then sat quickly again and looked at me as if to say "You didn't see that, it's a figment of your imagination............." So I moved the bowl a few more steps away........................ :thumbsup:

post-8098-1151477181_thumb.jpg

Ok, either I'm suffering from a mental block, or I'm just thick. :rofl:

I've read K9's TOT post about 10 times now (gathering as much info as possible before I get a dog) and I just don't get how to do it.

I'm more of a learning by doing/having someone show me, then try it myself person rather than a read it of a screen/book/paper etc person. :bottom:

And I agree with an earlier post - where's the demo dvd? lol

Steve - what if they fidget?

Do I ignore the fidgets or add it to her time? She's running through her "repertoire" of skills ... sit drop back to sit, switch sides etc when I ask for time. I get the impression she's not 100% comfortable with the constant eye contact??? She will eat without watching me.

Just out of interest I do this on the deck where all manner of exciting things happen - where I put her collar on for walks, dinner time, brekky time, fetch when its raining, so getting her to sit completely still there is often an issue anyway - is this adding to the problem?

She'll do a nice sit stay or drop stay at class and out on walks. No fidgets.

Steve - what if they fidget?
Do I ignore the fidgets or add it to her time?

K9: Depends on your end goal, but it will stop anyway, provided the food isnt too close....

She's running through her "repertoire" of skills ... sit drop back to sit, switch sides etc when I ask for time. I get the impression she's not 100% comfortable with the constant eye contact??? She will eat without watching me.

k9: well she is supposed to eat without watching you, the excercise is over when the dog starts to eat?

She can show you any ob move she wants the only one that will bring the "yes" from you & then the "ok" will be the one you want...

Just out of interest I do this on the deck where all manner of exciting things happen - where I put her collar on for walks, dinner time, brekky time, fetch when its raining, so getting her to sit completely still there is often an issue anyway - is this adding to the problem?

K9: could be, but make sure dinner brekky & every meal is done in the TOT

She'll do a nice sit stay or drop stay at class and out on walks. No fidgets.

K9: yes, when she isnt in drive...

K9 force,

I have been pondering again, especially with my young dogs, in this case yes and OK. Instead of the fetch command, maybe I should simply use OK on marks. The sequence for blinds I still think should have a different voice cue?

OK. I seem to have the dog training happening. Now to work on training my husband ... who fed the dog inside last night, in the laundry.

Jack must have thought all his Christmases had come at once. He didn't sit, didn't wait, just chowed down :rofl:

I've had a wee chat with my husband about consistency ... :dropjaw:

I have been pondering again, especially with my young dogs, in this case yes and OK. Instead of the fetch command, maybe I should simply use OK on marks. The sequence for blinds I still think should have a different voice cue?

K9: no dont do this, the ok command is the free command, ie do what you want... Your dogs should in theory go for the ball not the bird...

It will only confuse them...

Ok when you release the ball is good..

OK I've got a question on this. I've been doing this with both dogs for the past month or so I guess it's been...Daegon is MUCH better than Kovu, Kovu is a fidget bum and he just wants that food and the drool that comes out of his mouth is making a rather large mess. But that's OK.

My question is with Daegon. When it's dinner time he wont look at the bowl at all, he follows me to the feeding spot, sits, then eyes on me...eyes never come off me. I've built him up to a 2 minute sit stay with me about 5 metres away, he does it perfectly. Will keep working it until it's a 5 minute sit stay, then I want to work it out of site.

Now, my question is...when I say OK as the release command...he wont eat. He wont move or take his eyes off me or eat his food until I've walked away. What's going on here and should I be doing something different?

Edited by shekhina

K9: ok your dog doesnt get the free command, you need to us eit in all your training.

Something went astray in the beginning... Change the word to FREE & say it with a lot of enthusiasm... You must excite him ti break then when he does (on the free command) priase him & walk inside..

If he still doesnt add the second dog closer & when you say ok, & the otehr dog runs off to eat he will get it... :confused:

K9: ok your dog doesnt get the free command, you need to us eit in all your training.

Something went astray in the beginning... Change the word to FREE & say it with a lot of enthusiasm... You must excite him ti break then when he does (on the free command) priase him & walk inside..

If he still doesnt add the second dog closer & when you say ok, & the otehr dog runs off to eat he will get it... :laugh:

Yes, it does seem to me that he just doesn't know what "OK" means...just sits there staring at me still. OK, will do a word change and try and get really excited by it all so that hopefully he gets what it means.

Adding a second dog in around food could possibly end up in a fight here, and although all pack fights are sorted out quickly between these two I don't particularly want to risk any kind of injury. And a cat wont work because neither dog will eat anything when there's a cat around...the cats rule the roost here :confused:

Thank you :confused:

Ok so she kidna got the idea, only took us two weeks :thumbsup:

But....

I place the food, she sits automatically before I place the food or at my sit command while Im putting the food down.

She gives me great eye contact for lets say 10-15 seconds. If I dont release her she goes into a drop puts her head on her front paws and doesnt look at me any more, nor at the food.

I have a feeling that if I keep her like that she will fall asleep as she knows she cant go anywhere.

Food is right in front of her 1cm out of reach.

Hey Monika.....

Bear was doing this when I first started him as a puppy in the TOT.

Is she still on the tie back?

As the the rule is time before distance, I'm guessing you are still by her side? Yes? If that is the case, can you just pull up on the leash and get her back into a sit as soon as she moves to the drop position? Teach her she has to stay sitting to be released to the food?