Triangle Of Temptation

What do i do When my dog doesnt do anything. She barks a little when i'm inside, but when I come out she turns completely silent and just stands there and lifts her head up slightly to smell the food. Doesnt she have any food drive? how do I get her to be more interested. she loves food but not that much that she will go crazy over it.

What do i do When my dog doesnt do anything. She barks a little when i'm inside, but when I come out she turns completely silent and just stands there and lifts her head up slightly to smell the food. Doesnt she have any food drive? how do I get her to be more interested. she loves food but not that much that she will go crazy over it.

Mollylabb, I am sure K9 will give you a more accurate response than I can, but if she's showing no interest in the food when you bring it out, can you move the bowl closer to her? Will she actually eat the food when you release her to it or is she not interested in eating it at all?

Edited by huski

She eats it in one bite and loves it, but it seems like she dosent want to work for it or somthing? its like she knows she is getting food anyway so no stress with getting so exciting for it.

I have been standing 1-2 m from her.

but we have just strated it so mabye she was abit confused about why she is getting food outside and tied up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi K9,

Just wanted you to know that using the triangle method I've been able, in one day, to teach my friend's labrador to take treats without snapping them from my hand and have gotten her loose leash walking with me in less than half an hour. I will keep up the training of course, and spending the time to play with her and walk her (my friend is very ill and can't do much) is now easy and enjoyable for both Elysia and I!

Thanks!

(I've also managed to do it in front of my friend who now knows just how eager her girl is to please and be trained, hopefully in time, Elysia will be loose leash walking most of the time, and her owner will be able to take her on walks :D)

Hi K9,

Just wanted you to know that using the triangle method I've been able, in one day, to teach my friend's labrador to take treats without snapping them from my hand and have gotten her loose leash walking with me in less than half an hour. I will keep up the training of course, and spending the time to play with her and walk her (my friend is very ill and can't do much) is now easy and enjoyable for both Elysia and I!

Thanks!

(I've also managed to do it in front of my friend who now knows just how eager her girl is to please and be trained, hopefully in time, Elysia will be loose leash walking most of the time, and her owner will be able to take her on walks :D)

K9: Great work, hopefully your friend will be able to run the TOT as well :)

Hey K9,

So I am doing really well with Elysia and she's improved greatly. The only issue is that she still pulls ahead when she can and wont walk by my side? Can you suggest how I might be able to get her to walk at my side? She doesn't strain as much as just pull a little, and the liver treats don't seem to hold a high enough value to her when we're out in the "world" walking down the street. I walk her on the same 1 block section each day so she can get used to it but do you think its just that she's not used to being out on walks and wants to smell everything or is this something I can correct?

Hey K9,

So I am doing really well with Elysia and she's improved greatly. The only issue is that she still pulls ahead when she can and wont walk by my side? Can you suggest how I might be able to get her to walk at my side? She doesn't strain as much as just pull a little, and the liver treats don't seem to hold a high enough value to her when we're out in the "world" walking down the street. I walk her on the same 1 block section each day so she can get used to it but do you think its just that she's not used to being out on walks and wants to smell everything or is this something I can correct?

K9: Training the loose leash walk is something you can reinforce in the TOT but you really would be better teaching it and then proofing it under distraction. This is the point in which you should engage a trainer near you to help.

hi k9pro

I started TOT with Digby this morning.

When he saw the food bowl he automatically sat.

The program says though that in a few days I should ask him to sit when I am standing beside him.

So what should I do? should I just tell him to sit before he sits, or should I give him a different command when I get to his right side (drop for example)?

hi k9pro

I started TOT with Digby this morning.

When he saw the food bowl he automatically sat.

The program says though that in a few days I should ask him to sit when I am standing beside him.

So what should I do? should I just tell him to sit before he sits, or should I give him a different command when I get to his right side (drop for example)?

K9: Just work from where you are, whether he sits or he doesn't, mark the eye contact and go from there :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been working on TOT for the last few days, and my dog is responding nicely. I taught her earlier to wait for permission when I feed her. Now she can sit for about 30 seconds looking at me until I say "yes" and "ok". Mind you, sometimes she bolts to the bowl after "yes", but she is only four months old, and I am trying not to demand too much too soon.

post-42212-0-68183700-1324267519_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...