Triangle Of Temptation

K9: You train one in the Triangle then the other.

This wont fix your problem, it is a foundation program, that by using this with other training, you will get the results...

Thanks for that, Um another thing is it necessary that I prepare his food out of his site? I could do this by locking him in the bathroom while I prepare it and feeding him there but I would like for them to eventually be eating back in the kitchen would thi be a problem, breaking with the pattern???

Bek

• 1 month later...

Further to my previous thread, my brother has begun the TOT with Rusty but would like to ask a question.

Rusty has gotten the idea very quickly, he will sit and watch his owners non-stop from the moment they start the process. Sits quietly staring up, is doing it for quite a long time and they can even go inside and come out again. Problem is, when marked and released he continues to sit and stare - he doesn't go for the food.

He knows the release command from obedience, so he shouldn't be confused. I'm wondering whether he's still trying to be boss by eating when he's ready, not when released. What, if anything, should my brother do if Rusty doesn't go for the food when released?

• 2 weeks later...
M: Further to my previous thread, my brother has begun the TOT with Rusty but would like to ask a question.

Rusty has gotten the idea very quickly, he will sit and watch his owners non-stop from the moment they start the process. Sits quietly staring up, is doing it for quite a long time and they can even go inside and come out again.

K9: So, my TOT worked again.. Good to hear...

M: He knows the release command from obedience, so he shouldn't be confused. I'm wondering whether he's still trying to be boss by eating when he's ready, not when released. What, if anything, should my brother do if Rusty doesn't go for the food when released?

K9: dont let the dog run the triangle, after the release command, the handler goes inside & comes back in ten minutes & takes away the bowl, eaten or not. The dog will get the message...

Hi K9,

Great stuff.

I have just (2 days ago) bought home a 3 yo staffie male not desexed. Oscar is replacing our previous staffie Dunstall who we had since a pup for 8.5 years and had to be put down because of Cushings disease.

Oscar was a show / breeder star and he doesn't seem too trained. He appears dumb when we try to teach him obediance but we know that he's an intelligent one. He can sit but not for long and thats about it. He constantly tries to stand up putting his paws on your body for attention. We think this standing up is not desirable and have discouraged it by saying NO and turning away.

Given his age and previous duties what tips could you suggest. In the meantime i will try the TOT method.

Thanks in advance.

I: He can sit but not for long and thats about it. He constantly tries to stand up putting his paws on your body for attention. We think this standing up is not desirable and have discouraged it by saying NO and turning away.

Given his age and previous duties what tips could you suggest. In the meantime i will try the TOT method.

K9: Start with the TOT, it will tune the dog ino you & then when yo say "no" it will mean something to the dog other than your taking away the reward he wants..

Thats a good starting place...

M: And yes, it seems to be working, they are very surprised by how fast and easily, in fact they've come around to my way of thinking on Rusty.

K9: thats great to hear...

• 1 month later...

I started the Triangle of Temptation with my Greyhound a few days ago. I have not had problems getting her to look at me - she does so fairly quickly without me needing to say her name. However, I have a problem with her whining. I wait and wait and wait for her to stop and she just won't. I end up going out to her when she is having a short break from whining. How long should she have stopped whining for before I go out to her? Is there anything I can do about the fact that she won't stop? She just doesn't seem to understand that the sooner she stops, the sooner she gets food (which thankfully she is always excited about). Thanks in advance!

P.S. She bit her lead the other day because she was so upset about being tied up, so I had to tie a knot in it and put it back together. I will try to purchase a less destrucable one tomorrow!

Okay, so she's still whining a bit but it's much less! Also, ealier this week I was holding a treat and asked her to sit and she did so immediately! I was previously unable to get her to do this - even though she absolutely loves treats, she would just refuse to sit!

IF Steve or anyone else could answer my question, that would be fantastic!

I just started tonight, and thought I understood everything, but when I went to do it I realized I wasn't sure... When I am going to release the dog and say 'ok' do I say ok as i take the tie off, or after? You said in your instructions that they should be responding to my ok rather than the snap of the lead so I'm not sure.

Also do they need to make eye contact with me, or just a general look at my body, as they are quite short and have to look up a fair way ;) I noticed they glanced in my general direction quite a few times, and then eventually made eye contact with me.

I think thats all for now! Really hoping this gives me a bit more authority and control with them, as they go absolutley berserk at walk time, when anyone comes anywhere near our house, or even when I just put on a pair of shoes or get dressed...

Thanks for the complement :) they can do A LOT more than that :D , its was taken for someone to give them an idea, so I made it very short and only one comand.

Divani (the brown one) is now 10 months old, Rex is an older dog and he is 7yo.

I cant really tell you how long I have been doing it (as in train before the dinner), but I do it somewhat every day. Even if its just sit for 5 sec than release.

I started this with Rex when he was about 4yo, with Divani when she was 4 months old.

The most important one for me is that I do it with the gate, they are not to go through the gate untill I say they can.

• 1 month later...

One of my dogs is doing really well, after six weeks I can leave him off lead next to his food for three minutes, during this time I can go inside, wander out of sight in the yard, bring another dog out etc. and he won't touch the food until I say 'OK', I am really proud of him.

However the other dog is starting to play up. I got him to the stage of sitting for three minutes and I could leave him off lead and go to the other end of the yard and he wouldn't touch the food until I returned and said 'OK'. Now he appears unwilling to sit and is actively avoiding having to do the TOT. He will run away and hide in the bushes, try to go inside and if I go up to him he rolls on his back and acts very submissive. I have started putting the lead on him and making him sit for the three minutes, he does it but doesn't look happy about it at all. Have I gone too far too soon? Do you think he's generally unhappy about the situation and that's why he's practicing avoidance or is he just trying it on? I once corrected him for lying down during the sit, I said "uh-uh" and lifted him up and made him sit, did I do the wrong thing? He's quite a submissive dog by nature, he'll go to pieces if I just raise my voice, but he's not timid or anything, just a normal, happy dog.

Any suggestions from the experts, I'm at a bit of a loss about how to deal with this as he was doing so well at first and picked it up really quickly.

Help!!!!

One of my dogs is doing really well, after six weeks I can leave him off lead next to his food for three minutes, during this time I can go inside, wander out of sight in the yard, bring another dog out etc. and he won't touch the food until I say 'OK', I am really proud of him.

However the other dog is starting to play up. I got him to the stage of sitting for three minutes and I could leave him off lead and go to the other end of the yard and he wouldn't touch the food until I returned and said 'OK'. Now he appears unwilling to sit and is actively avoiding having to do the TOT. He will run away and hide in the bushes, try to go inside and if I go up to him he rolls on his back and acts very submissive. I have started putting the lead on him and making him sit for the three minutes, he does it but doesn't look happy about it at all. Have I gone too far too soon?

K9: the submission suggests that byour using Alpha pressure, (ascertive body language) to force the sit, this is causing the submission. The TOT is about the dog offering the correct behaviour, not you making it happen.

Do you think he's generally unhappy about the situation and that's why he's practicing avoidance or is he just trying it on? I once corrected him for lying down during the sit, I said "uh-uh" and lifted him up and made him sit, did I do the wrong thing? He's quite a submissive dog by nature, he'll go to pieces if I just raise my voice, but he's not timid or anything, just a normal, happy dog.

Any suggestions from the experts, I'm at a bit of a loss about how to deal with this as he was doing so well at first and picked it up really quickly.

Help!!!!

K9: I havent seen your dog, but what I would do is next time he runs off, take the food inside & keep it for the next day... Maybe a bit more hunger will hurry him along.

When you also get him positive again, I would randomise the commands you give, it sounds like this started with him getting bored.

K9: the submission suggests that byour using Alpha pressure, (ascertive body language) to force the sit, this is causing the submission. The TOT is about the dog offering the correct behaviour, not you making it happen.

K9: I havent seen your dog, but what I would do is next time he runs off, take the food inside & keep it for the next day... Maybe a bit more hunger will hurry him along.

When you also get him positive again, I would randomise the commands you give, it sounds like this started with him getting bored.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated :) Is it also ok to vary the length of time that they have to wait for the food, maybe 1 minute on night, 30 secs another night and just do the 3 minute waits a couple of times a week? It's getting mighty cool standing out in the yard these evenings :o

Thanks muchly for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

would this work in my situation and if so, how would i change it slightly to do so.

buster gets very worked up about other dogs. not the ones he lives with. the ones he see's when out walking or the ones barking at him through fences. i have done some basic work, like getting him to drop when he acts up too much. and also a lot of heel work at home.

on leash he seem squite dog agressive, but off leash he is a lot better. i have been teachin g him the "focus" command but am interested in strating this program if you think it will benefit

Is it also ok to vary the length of time that they have to wait for the food, maybe 1 minute on night, 30 secs another night and just do the 3 minute waits a couple of times a week? It's getting mighty cool standing out in the yard these evenings

K9: sure is. "randomisation" is the key to good dog training..

Keep in mind all readers that this is the BASIC starting point to develop a foundation for leadership & training.

Once this is established I design the next steps to achieve the desired goals, competion obedience, recall improvement, more leadership, training in drive & self control to name a few...