Hot Spots

Vin

agreed Skysongtollrz BUT ( there always seems to be a but :laugh: )

foods containing grains and corn in particular are implicated in the development of hot spots in susceptable dogs. so looking at diet is worthwhile. If checking for corn in a product..you need to look for maize, corn, and the by products some manufactuerer can be devious and conceal the high grain content of the product by listing individual ingredients under other neams but it is the total amount that is important.

SkyesongTollrz.

I do apologise.

As i do remember the member asked for help and advice? I am an animal lover and strongly believe in helping people understanding how to help their pet. Our formulas have been created for problems such as what this member was asking advice for and unfortunately sometimes dry food can pay a part in hot spots. It was only a reccomendation as is everyone elses replies and reccomendations.

I will word my replies and reccomendations from now on in a way which is not directed at advertising and speak to members via private chat. I do apologise if anyone has been offended and annoyed. As for the support i thank you all again, We wish not to annoy people, only help

Agreed CavNRott- unless someone can prove that a particular brand of dog food will not cause XYZ, leave it out!

My Rotts get occasional hotspots, I wash w Melaseb, pat dry and put the absolute TINIEST dab of Pawpaw ointment on the spot. Warm the ointment tube in your hand so it spreads easier. I tend to use Pawpaw ointment on almost everything with my dogs- callouses, cuts & scratches. And on everything for me too! :laugh:

They can be agreesive little buggers, hotspots, and once had top shave a BIG patch of hair of a show dog. Very bad hair day for that poor puppy.

Edited to add: EaglePack, thanks for the reply. No-one said that you were trying to annoy, but pushing a particular largescale commercial enterprise is not appropriate. I'm sure that those who receive your PMs regarding a particular product will take it as the specific advice that you intend.

Edited by Rottshowgirl

[Hi Rotti,

Thanks, I will not be posting anymore Eaglepack on live forum chat. I do again apologise. All will be done via private message to save burdoning the board with our reccomendations. Apology to all who have been having to sift through it all!

We had trouble with hotspots in our first poodle as a puppy. The best remedy was Fuciderm ointment, from the Vet, cleared them up very quickly. The same has worked for other friends poodles. You still need to clip the hair around the hotspot and keep it clean and dry.

Vin

I have had shelties for 18 years and as I said earlier I have never seen a hot spot on them before, they are regularly groomed.

My vet suggested that the cause of Panda's was in fact a spate of humid weather, which caused the "bacterial infection" to errupt.

Concerning the feeding of dogs and whether or not a food can be seen to be clearing and managing hot spots, mine are on a superior commerical food, Nutro (no I am not a sales rep), which has no corn, no animal by-products, no chemial preservatives, no added colourants, no pork meal or chicken fat, and no chicken meal.

Considering the above I cant see how another "Natural" food would clear and manage a hot spot. (Sorry to bring up the food aspect again but just stressing a point)

Vin, Panda's have cleared up now, bar one spot on his back which is just two small scabs.

I have used Fuciderm in the past but didnt realise good for hot spots, must remember that one and hopefully no more!!

I've skimmed all the posts and been surprised that no one has mentioned what my vet said was most important . . . getting air to the affected area. I had a lot of trouble with hot spots before I settled on a diet that seems to prevent them. Each time the vet SHAVED the area around the hotspot and gave me something to dry out the affected area. I don't think it matters a whole lot what you use to dry it out, so long as it isn't toxic or painful for the dog. Something that disinfects -- eg, containing chlorohexadine or peroxide -- is also useful. Harsh soaps work too. The last few times I had to cope with hot spots I clipped around the area with scissors (Labrador people don't generally have clippers) and used whatever I had around to dry the area out. Everything seems to work.

Continuous hot spots may require that diet is looked at - or at least immune system status. Leave off the bloody dog food promotion.

A single hotspot can happen to any dog. All it requires is the right conditions - a break in the skin (even a flea bite) the right bacteria and constant licking. Often from the "surface" it just looks like a continuously wet patch of fur.

First line treatment for a hotspot is to break the cycle of moisture. Shave the area and stop the dog wetting it with saliva (E collars are brilliant). Application of an antibacterial solution may help (quit itch or betadine). The vet sells a great cream that is antibacterial AND has a local anaesthetic in it. It stops the itch for a few hours. If you can break the cycle of MOIST pyoderma you will generally see a huge difference in 24 hours.

If you suspect that your dog may be a bit run down or stressed then try daily vit C tablets. They work wonders. If you have a diet that works for your dog there is no need to change it because your dog develops a simple hotspot.

Edited by blacklabrador

(Labrador people don't generally have clippers)

After my last effort at scissoring around a hotspot on my dog... I failed miserably and couldn't really visualise the edge of the hotspot. I took him to the vetnurse to have the area clipped (I insisted on no vet consultation as it wasn't required). It cost me $25 to have his rump shaved. :cry: I bought my own pair of clippers for $18 and will be using them if I ever need them again!!!! They might be cheap and nasty but they will serve the purpose if required.

ETA for $25 I could have gotten a bit of a grooming job done huh??? ;)

Edited by blacklabrador

God I'm getting sick of the advertising for dog food on all these threads. She asked for a hot spot remedy, not advertising for dog food.

I agree with you. There's been a lot of advertising going on under the cover of advice. I'm surprised the advertising hasn't been deleted.

I just woke up to this fact after your post. Thanks. Sue

I have shih tzu's and three off my dogs have suffered with hot spots I'ld trim the hair around as short as posible and dab it with proxside(4 on human saws)it would dry them up great.although they will leave a bald spot after they have cleared, and some times the hair grows back darker.