Praise For New Kibble

I know there's a bit of hoo-ha about plugging food brands but since I have no vested interest in any dog food companies and have a dog with weight and skin issues, I thought I'd post a praise for the brand I'm now feeding.

I swapped to Nutro a couple of weeks ago after the woman at my local pet supply store was singing its praises. I decided to give it a go and see how it went. My boy now has his waist back (still has a bit to lose off the chest, but he's doing well and losing weight at a safe and steady rate) and his coat is in really great shape!!

He still has allergies to grass (which tend to flair up in the warmer months), which makes him a bit red underneath. He has sensitive skin and is prone to ear infections too. Since swapping him onto Nutro his coat feels cleaner and healthier. He is scratching a lot less and his ears, while still requiring a lot of cleaning, are doing well too. He's still getting the occasional barf patty and bone so it's not just a change from red meat either (which he's never had an issue with). Since I used to feed him a super premium food, I didn't expect to see much of a change, but he's looking really healthy. He's leaving less hair mess on the floor (right up to when we started feeding it to him, the floor was a mess and had to be swept all the time). OH said to me "I know it's winter and he wont be dropping as much coat, but check out the floor - I haven't swept it yet!"

Just my :rofl:. I know I rely a lot on this forum for opinions on brands so I felt it necessary to add mine. If you live in Qld, it's really worth giving a go.

Guest Piximatosis

:rofl:

I know at least myself and Norksgra have been converted as well :clap:

It's available in NSW now too. Our store is the only one I know of that sells it but there must be at least a couple of others.

Which type are you using? The Lamb & Rice Large Breed?

I'm using the Rice & Lamb Lite at the moment and will switch to Lamb & Rice large breed when he's at a weight I am happy with.

I'm going to put my toller boy on medium breed puppy.

Definately converted!

Yes, I have been converted to Nutro for some of my dogs. The others are still on a raw diet.

It is fantastic and you can notice a difference within 2 weeks. My pregnant girl is being fed both raw and Nutro Puppy and I intend to feed the pups on Nutro. I will also recommend it to the new puppy owners.

It is the only dry I will feed my kids now.

Its good to hear your dogs are doing well on Nutro, I have been feeding it to mine for about 6 years and they do very well on it. When my middle two were puppies I tried weaning them onto Eukanuba and Science Diet and they wouldn't touch it.

I have a number of friends in NZ who also have their dogs on Nutro and are pleased with the results, as are the owners of the litter which we had here last year.

This is why I tend to mouth off about Nutro as it is such a great product and the added plus is that it doesnt have any chemical preservatives, animal by-products, added colourants or corn.

We no longer feed Nutro, but when we did we switched Brodie from Science Diet to Nutro Natural Large Breed(Chicken and Rice flavor) and the difference after about 2 weeks was amazing. His coat was very dull on SD and he used to shed alot after the switch it was much more shiney and the shedding was reduced a lot. Instead of feeding him almost 6 cups per day we were down to about 4.5. His poo was much smaller and didn't smell as bad, and he was pooing less, 2x a day instead of 4 or 5. The only thing that Nutro made worse was the gas. He had very nasty, room clearing gas, very frequently while on Nutro. We have since switched him to a brand called California Natural (Chicken Meal and Rice flavor) and his gas has decreased greatly. We also feed him about 1 cup per day less than when he was Nutro and his coat is still shiney and soft like it was before.

If we did need to switch him to another food for some reason, I'd definately go back to Nutro. Would just need to get a supply of clothes pins for the nose.LOL

WOW JD19 I am surprised as have never had a problem with either dogs or cats on Nutro.

At one time we had five shelties, a standard poodle and a birman cat, all house dogs and if they had gas problems we sure would have known about it, I mean we had a two storey house and you know how hot air rises. :mad

Love it... :rofl: My fur children have been on it for a little while now too and the transformation is just amazing :rofl:

Chloe after just having her pups has the softest fur and it just shines...

I cant wait to start the pups on it..

Poopa scooping also now only takes half the time :thumbsup: which leaves me more time to play with the dogs.

BIG :mad

The fat and protein for the sample of Choice Puppy Lamb and Rice for Skin and Coat Quality is - Crude Protein 27% and Crude fat 13%

Not sure if that's what you are after considering it's a puppy food...

ETA - Adult version has Crude Protein 21% and Crude Fat 12%

Edited by KitKat

Pix may not have said because it might come under promoting? since she works there? Not sure - either way if you jump onto the Nutro.com.au website it will bring up a list of places you can purchase the food from :mad

ETA - Nutro Website

Edited by KitKat

As for price, I am not sure in full comparison because I never used to shop around much for dry food, but it costs me about $4 less than Royal Canin. (eta - this is in comparison to 2 x 2kg bags Nutro v. 1 4kg bag of RC. I'm going to get a big 15kg bag next time)

Edited by Mel774

WOW JD19 I am surprised as have never had a problem with either dogs or cats on Nutro.

At one time we had five shelties, a standard poodle and a birman cat, all house dogs and if they had gas problems we sure would have known about it, I mean we had a two storey house and you know how hot air rises. :mad

Maybe I should clarify the frequency of the gas. While on SD he had "episodes" of gas maybe once a month and would last for a day or two, just as smelly as when we switched him to Nutro. On the Nutro it increased to 2-3 times a month, normally lasting a day or two also. On Cal. Nat. his "episodes" happen once every couple of months and last for a day, also just as smelly as when on Nutro and SD. So it's not going to matter what we feed, I guess we just have a gassy dog. Maybe there was an ingredient in the Nutro that affected him more, doesn't make it a bad food at all, it just wasn't the right food for him in regards to the gas.

Jaime