Puppy Coat Changing To Adult Coat

Hi Helen,

My Goldie is 13mths and I don't know if it's puppy coat or not but it constantly looks like we've had a snow storm in our house - just in the last month or so. Maybe it's the change of season :thumbsup: . I'd like to know at what age they do get their adult coat, so I hope someone can give us some indication when this happens (or if it already has).

Ha ha must be the time of year as Holly is losing heaps of hair everywhere as well and she is only 10 months old......I thought she must be losing her puppy coat because she is going a darker colour...will be interested to find out when it happens too.

I'm afraid this is normal behaviour, and will continue into adulthood. I run a boarding kennel. The hair yield from Goldies is quite high. :confused:

You mean this is a "forever" thing. Am I going to be living in a snow storm for ever and ever :p !

i find that unless a goldie is grooming regularly (bathing, racking and blasting the hair out) they will just shed alot! seems you need to keep on top of that dead hear coming out. same for corgis. but this is just my opinion.

i find that unless a goldie is grooming regularly (bathing, racking and blasting the hair out) they will just shed alot! seems you need to keep on top of that dead hear coming out. same for corgis. but this is just my opinion.

I love grooming him and he loves it too, but it just doesn't seem to make much difference. In fact the rest of the family feel it's worse just after I've groomed him :p Never mind, I'm not complaining, he's definately worth the work.

Yep, I can vacuum the carpet and it will be covered in balls of hair within a day!!

Maybe I should take up knitting!

:laugh: Sounds like an Old English Sheepdog I babysat once.

Does a slicker followed up with a coarse (i.e. wide-tooth) comb or rake help?

I realise a poodle's coat is nothing like a Goldies- :D Bless the non-shedding coat- but the combing afterwards gets rid of a fair bit more hair. About as much again as a slicker for me. Dead poodle fur won't end up around the house, but stays trapped in the coat so it doesn't look as healthy and will matt.

I tried adding the combing to a friend's labXpoodle who shed a little- more fur in comb, less around house (allergies here). Make sure it's a decent comb with rounded tines or it will pull out hair good hair/fur as well. Sorry, I don't know about rakes, but perhaps they're even better for a goldie?

Good luck!

I usually brush every 2nd day when they're shedding heavily. I hadn't used an undercoate rake for months, and finally used one yesterday and got almost half a plastic bag off my girl!! A rake is a real necessity,even if you use a slicker. Also, the odd hydrobath and blowdry doesn't go astray.

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Stevie the lab/gr is 9 months old and starting losing heaps of hair THE WEEKEND I PUT DOWN CLEAN RUGS FOR WINTER!!!!! I read somewhere that it should stop in a couple of weeks, but it hasn't. She's black, the rugs are pale - oh well, we love her anyway.

She isn't happy with any sort of brushing, I've tried a couple of different types of brush but none of them seem to get the fur out, just annoy her. I'm sure that the slicker type brush is scratching her somehow, but it doesn't seem to get any fur out.

I'll try the rake and see how it goes. She has longer fur than standard Lab, not the full floaty style GR coat, but definitely lots of short and medium fur. Very hard to get to skin underneath!

Will keep watching this thread for any other ideas.

Thanks