Sign in to follow this  
Texinity

Border Collie Pics

29,057 posts in this topic

CaseyKay   

So that would make him a cryptic merle? I'd not heard the term until someone used it on a FB colour group ages ago, but I've never seen a photo of one before.

I read somewhere recently that ghost tan is more visible on merles, Bowie has a touch of it on his face and around the front of his back legs.

I would call him cryptic (or phantom) merle if the definition of that is "not immediately identifiable as merle".

I have seen a few dogs online of very similar colour to him where they have been called "wild sable" or "blue sable" or "seal sable", he does kind of look sable in real life. If you look up the pedigrees of the above mentioned dogs they have all had a merle parent. It must be some kind of mutation of the merle gene.

post-8662-0-15299100-1450382926_thumb.jpg

post-8662-0-80560700-1450382913_thumb.jpg

Oooh a puppy! I'd love a puppy - but for now having my older dog time! Cute little baby though.

My baby is a big boy now, and showing with the big boys. There's obviously been some changes with him as he has matured over the last few months, we are now getting some much better placings in shows. I mean I know Hamish is perfect, I just need everyone else to recognise it!!!

He has stopped embracing his "inner spitz" when showing and now only feels the need to embrace his "inner retriever"!!! I do like him on the move, and I keep getting comments now that he moves really well!

post-34437-0-52182500-1450695241_thumb.jpg

Casima   

Hi everyone, how are all your lovely BCs going? very quiet in here lately I thought I would bump us up.

A pic of my Kiwi on her first beach outing 16.5 weeks old.

post-3321-0-51516200-1454668861_thumb.jpg

Tassie   

Hi everyone, how are all your lovely BCs going? very quiet in here lately I thought I would bump us up.

A pic of my Kiwi on her first beach outing 16.5 weeks old.

Growing up gorgeous .... look at those legs. :D Looks like the beach was a hit.

benshiva   

Hi All. I thought I'd share Nahrof's latest cuteness. i'm raising these little cuties at home here and they're 5 weeks old now. Hope you enjoy

post-4866-0-34193800-1454824872_thumb.jpg

Tassie   

Hi All. I thought I'd share Nahrof's latest cuteness. i'm raising these little cuties at home here and they're 5 weeks old now. Hope you enjoy

Cuties! Look forward to a few more pics as they grow. :heart:

CaseyKay   

So cute! I love the one on the left, looks like a nice happy squishy sort of puppy :) one on the right looks like they are thinking naughty thoughts!

Mr Kep had his first agility show 2 weekends ago, it was a 6 x jumpers champ. He is quick and typical for a young dog just starting, he went around some jumps and got eliminated in 3 of his runs. The next two he came back and I put him over what he had missed. But his last run he was very good and got his first clear and second place. He is a nice dog to run, less reactive to body language than my 6 year old girl Gael who I am always accidentally pulling off obstacles. We have another show this coming weekend, 6 x jumpers again and a 3 x jumpers one day the following weekend. His weave training is going well and he is learning to control his body a bit better after breaking several of my poles. His first agility show (with weaves!) is in March.

BC Crazy   

Gorgeous puppies Benshiva ????????????

What an awful job you have taking care of those beauties. Suppose someone has to do it LOL Thanks for sharing...????

My beautiful Nana Gem was attacked by a dog on Friday afternoon. She's all ok, she has a big bruise but luckily the skin wasn't broken (a couple of grazes is all) and psychologically she will recover best out of all my dogs.

But as many of you know I decided she would just stay with us til her time comes to an end. And honestly I am not as attached to her as I am Kenzie and Hamish. But Friday gave me a bit of a wake up call as to how attached to her I am and how much I've grown to love her! When I saw blood in the attacking dogs mouth and realized that he had no injuries I could see I really had a big moment. I know Nana is only going to have a relatively short time with us on the whole scale of things, but I am no where near ready for her to go (thank goodness she isn't going anywhere at the moment!!) and definitely if it isn't on my terms.

She may have only been here a few months but she sure is making a big impact on all our lives!! I will try to post a picture of her soon when I'm on the computer!!

Tassie   

Oh poor old darling. So glad she is not badly hurt PME.

Good start young Mr Kep .. look forward to hearing more about how he goes.

My Rory (the misguided missile) .. slightly less misguided since we're half way H360 :) .. had his first agility trial for 3 months a couple of weeks ago. He hadn't seen a full course in all that time, and hadn't seen the contacts at all, except the week before, when he got to meet the new height seesaw. So I was quite pleased that he only had a couple of bits of craziness .. first course was GDX .. didn't get enough points because of the crazies, but was the only dog to nail the gamble .. good boy. One other complete shambles, but most of the mistakes on other courses were my fault == bad lines, late cues. He picked up 3 first place Qs .Snooker, Excellent Jumping and Excellent Agility. Held his contacts on all bar one run, and nailed his weavers on all bar one. Not a bad start for the year.

We brought home our lovely miss Flair, a mature age BC girl yesterday. :D she's a very sweet girl, quite calm and very good with the cats. I do however have a couple of questions for you more seasoned BC owners.

She tends to pace around the house a lot, she's a bit tricky to settle even after some exercise and training. It would be nice to get her to relax by my feet or nearby after our walk/play/training sessions. Any tips?

How do you teach a dog to play? She has no interest in toys or balls which makes it a bit hard to give her some zoomie time to tire her out.

Unfortunately she will bark constantly if left alone. We found out the hard way when we had her in the laundry overnight - it was a sort of constant, monotonous bark which I'm taking is loneliness or boredom rather than outside stimuli like foxes or cars. I ended up putting her in a crate in our room which worked well. I'm happy for her to sleep in our room at night but I do need to put her in the laundry while we are at work to keep her separate from the cats. I give her chews and puzzles to keep her occupied but once she finishes them she starts barking again. Again, any tips?

She is an ex show dog and has come from a home with several other dogs as company.

Here's a pic :)

image.jpg

We brought home our lovely miss Flair, a mature age BC girl yesterday. :D she's a very sweet girl, quite calm and very good with the cats. I do however have a couple of questions for you more seasoned BC owners.

She tends to pace around the house a lot, she's a bit tricky to settle even after some exercise and training. It would be nice to get her to relax by my feet or nearby after our walk/play/training sessions. Any tips?

How do you teach a dog to play? She has no interest in toys or balls which makes it a bit hard to give her some zoomie time to tire her out.

Unfortunately she will bark constantly if left alone. We found out the hard way when we had her in the laundry overnight - it was a sort of constant, monotonous bark which I'm taking is loneliness or boredom rather than outside stimuli like foxes or cars. I ended up putting her in a crate in our room which worked well. I'm happy for her to sleep in our room at night but I do need to put her in the laundry while we are at work to keep her separate from the cats. I give her chews and puzzles to keep her occupied but once she finishes them she starts barking again. Again, any tips?

She is an ex show dog and has come from a home with several other dogs as company.

Your answer is largely in her history, she has not been a house dog, is used to canine company and has been taken from the only environment she knew to another which, normal as it might seem to you, is not home as far as she is concerned Give her time to adjust, and teaching her to settle by you is training, I have taken on dogs like this, they act as if all they want is to go home............but they always seem to know they are on to a good thing and have become wonderful family dogs

Might be worth asking a knowledgeable vet about some medication for the anxiety whilst she adjusts, it may speed the process

Willem   

Unfortunately she will bark constantly if left alone. We found out the hard way when we had her in the laundry overnight - it was a sort of constant, monotonous bark which I'm taking is loneliness or boredom rather than outside stimuli like foxes or cars. I ended up putting her in a crate in our room which worked well. I'm happy for her to sleep in our room at night but I do need to put her in the laundry while we are at work to keep her separate from the cats. I give her chews and puzzles to keep her occupied but once she finishes them she starts barking again. Again, any tips?.....

...if she is a healthy dog a normal walk won't tire her out - it helps, but it needs more exercise to work her out. Locked into the laundry for hours for such an energetic breed is at least 'unpleasant' - we have a dog flap in the laundry and our BC can access the backyard on her own terms and entertain herself (she loves chasing empty plastic flower pots, throwing them meters in the air trying to catch them before they hit the ground). Wrt toys: I use a 'flick pole' (somewhere else they call it also a 'flirt pole', but that might be a typo?): 1m long 1" PVC pipe from Bunnings, running a rope through it with a rag as a lure on the end (cost you not more than AU$ 5)...she loves to chase it, and the pipe and rope allows great control so I can work her out even on a smaller patch - good training for all the basic obedience cues too (if she drops immediately in the aroused state while she is chasing or pulling the lure you know your training is working).

If you wanted a dog that settles easily I'm afraid you might have picked the wrong breed.

Unfortunately she will bark constantly if left alone. We found out the hard way when we had her in the laundry overnight - it was a sort of constant, monotonous bark which I'm taking is loneliness or boredom rather than outside stimuli like foxes or cars. I ended up putting her in a crate in our room which worked well. I'm happy for her to sleep in our room at night but I do need to put her in the laundry while we are at work to keep her separate from the cats. I give her chews and puzzles to keep her occupied but once she finishes them she starts barking again. Again, any tips?.....

...if she is a healthy dog a normal walk won't tire her out - it helps, but it needs more exercise to work her out. Locked into the laundry for hours for such an energetic breed is at least 'unpleasant' - we have a dog flap in the laundry and our BC can access the backyard on her own terms and entertain herself (she loves chasing empty plastic flower pots, throwing them meters in the air trying to catch them before they hit the ground). Wrt toys: I use a 'flick pole' (somewhere else they call it also a 'flirt pole', but that might be a typo?): 1m long 1" PVC pipe from Bunnings, running a rope through it with a rag as a lure on the end (cost you not more than AU$ 5)...she loves to chase it, and the pipe and rope allows great control so I can work her out even on a smaller patch - good training for all the basic obedience cues too (if she drops immediately in the aroused state while she is chasing or pulling the lure you know your training is working).

If you wanted a dog that settles easily I'm afraid you might have picked the wrong breed.

... thanks Willem. I have actually had a border before and do understand their energy requirements. And I know that a BC can be taught to settle, as our family dog when I was younger could settle on command, despite being considerably more drivey than Flair. I'm just a bit rusty as it's been some time since I've owned a dog and would appreciate some helpful advice. I appreciate the other tips. If anyone has some hints to teach her how to play with toys that would be wonderful, as she has no interest I'm having a lot of difficulty engaging her in play - balls, tugs, plush toys - she ignores them all.

Our house yard is a work in progress, until then I can't let her out while I'm at work.