Sign in to follow this  
Texinity

Border Collie Pics

29,057 posts in this topic

Willem   

things just lying dead on the ground and even don't move when barking are not much of an interest ...the BCs want to run and chase, so it requires the interaction with the owner (or other dogs or animals)...have a look here:

...you don't need the PVC angle and the washers, and I also appreciate that I can pull the rope through the pipe to accelerate the lure when required. Note: the use of the pole can lead to a lot of twisting, jumping and stops and might not be suitable for heavier or not so agile dogs - you have to adjust the training to the dogs capability and skills to avoid injuries. Edited by Willem

Thanks for the link.

Not sure what you think I'm doing with her - just pointing at a toy and standing there? I'm running around, throwing it about, playing with it myself, showing it to her, trying to make a big deal about it and make it seem very exciting. I've even tried rubbing the toy in something tasty to make her more inclined to hold it in her mouth, and praising heavily when she looks at or sniffs it.

Willem   

it took me a while to teach our dog to fetch a ball...she does it now, but it doesn't - and never will - have the same fun factor as the lure...dogs are different, even if it's the same breed, but that is (the lure) what works for our dog (beside allowing here runs with other dogs when possible)...

Edited by Willem

denali   

She is gorgeous Mr. Mr!

WIllem, they are called flirt poles, that's not a typo :D

The pacing and settling may not be energy related, simply just a new environment. Give her some time. I am right reading that she has only been there 2 days now?

Similarly to the toys, she just may not be comfortable enough yet.

Does she like food? If so, one of those tugs that contain food may be needed. Or a sock filled with food. Or you can shape a retrieve.

Otherwise, you will look like an idiot, but grab the toy, run around having SO much fun with it for about 40 seconds (all by yourself, while she hopefully watches and gets excited/ a bit confused at first :laugh:) Put it away, then repeat a few times a day for a few days. Eventually they get "jealous" and want to join in the fun/ think it looks like a great game. It was something someone told me, and it worked well on one of my dogs :)

EDIT: sorry just read one of your comments mr. you have done all that i would have suggested already.

Short of just giving her some time, not sure there is much else.

What kind of toys are you using?

Tried squealers? real fur? Sponges?

I was once told that someone taught their dog to tug using horse poo in a sock :laugh: give that one a go :laugh:

Edited by denali

JulesP   

4 out of 5 of my border collies have had no interest in toys. The only annoying thing about it is you can't just go to a park and chuck a ball to try and wear them out. I have to be moving at the park for mine to move. If I stop walking I have two border collies laying at my feet. (sooo hard to get them to settle).

They will chase another dog that is chasing a ball. Well not really chase more like stalk and stop. They are only allowed to do that with friends btw.

Poppy will sometimes play ball to make me happy but she isn't really in to it so I can't see the point of doing it.

She might learn to play though. I wouldn't push anything on her for a couple of weeks though. Just hang out and give her lots of pats. She also might not do much for you until she decides you are her owner. Neither of my current girls would do anything for anyone but me.

She is gorgeous Mr. Mr!

WIllem, they are called flirt poles, that's not a typo :D

The pacing and settling may not be energy related, simply just a new environment. Give her some time. I am right reading that she has only been there 2 days now?

Similarly to the toys, she just may not be comfortable enough yet.

Does she like food? If so, one of those tugs that contain food may be needed. Or a sock filled with food. Or you can shape a retrieve.

Otherwise, you will look like an idiot, but grab the toy, run around having SO much fun with it for about 40 seconds (all by yourself, while she hopefully watches and gets excited/ a bit confused at first :laugh:) Put it away, then repeat a few times a day for a few days. Eventually they get "jealous" and want to join in the fun/ think it looks like a great game. It was something someone told me, and it worked well on one of my dogs :)

EDIT: sorry just read one of your comments mr. you have done all that i would have suggested already.

Short of just giving her some time, not sure there is much else.

What kind of toys are you using?

Tried squealers? real fur? Sponges?

I was once told that someone taught their dog to tug using horse poo in a sock :laugh: give that one a go :laugh:

Yes I don't think the pacing is energy related, she really is quite chilled. I guess because we are new to each other I am always a little paranoid about new pets pacing around the house - I tend to follow them around like a shadow making sure they don't toilet anywhere. You may be right about the settling in. Though the barking when alone is something I need to try to address. :(

I have balls, a rubber ring, tug toys with fluffy bits coming off them and a squeaker plush. This may sound silly but I was loathe to get any toys that mimicked a real animal (fur etc) as I have three cats and don't want her to look at them as fluffy toys! That does actually sound a bit silly when I type it out. If anything, she goes out of her way to avoid the cats, I guess I am just being extra careful.

Edited by mr.mister

4 out of 5 of my border collies have had no interest in toys. The only annoying thing about it is you can't just go to a park and chuck a ball to try and wear them out. I have to be moving at the park for mine to move. If I stop walking I have two border collies laying at my feet. (sooo hard to get them to settle).

They will chase another dog that is chasing a ball. Well not really chase more like stalk and stop. They are only allowed to do that with friends btw.

Poppy will sometimes play ball to make me happy but she isn't really in to it so I can't see the point of doing it.

She might learn to play though. I wouldn't push anything on her for a couple of weeks though. Just hang out and give her lots of pats. She also might not do much for you until she decides you are her owner. Neither of my current girls would do anything for anyone but me.

Thanks for the info. Yes I guess I really do need to give her an adjustment period, poor thing. That is exactly what she does, when we're out in the garden if I stop moving she will just stand there and look at me.

piper   

Ditto to all of this. 1 have only ever had 1 ball mad border collie and even he would not play with them when away from home. Piper and Jazz both learnt to retrieve as a clicker trained exercise and grew to enjoy retrieving games at home (Jazz carries a frisbee around a lot - I call it her dummy. She is quite happy to just carry it around though and let you look at it and give it back to her, she doesn't always want it thrown.)

It hasn't been long. The pacing, barking etc sound like she is unsure where she is and where she fits in. Give her a safe place to go and time to settle. A crate is something probably familiar to her as an ex show dog so would explain why she settled in that.

I am sure it won't take long for her to realise good things come from you and to want to be near you constantly.

Tassie   

I'd echo what piper and Jules P have said. Don't stress too much for a couple of weeks. It's a huge adjustment for her.

If you're worried about what she might get up to in the house if you're not with her, you could try the umbilical cord technique I had to use on my naughty Kirra as a baby puppy .. partly because she was an escaper and I only have stock fencing, and had doors left open for my ancient girl. So when she was loose (i.e. out of her puppy pen) I used a light tracking lead tied round my waist so she had some freedom of movement but I was aware of her and what she was doing.

I think if you have some time to do it, I would be spending time working closely with her, building the new bond that will replace the ones she had with other dogs. My experience is that BCs just love to learn stuff, and if she likes her food, you're laughing. There are some great trick training videos on Youtube - thinking of kikopup (Emily Larlham) and Donna Hill, although there are others. You could use a clicker with her as something different, to mark the action you'd like, and tell her a reward is coming. Here's a link to a

one I was just watching, to give you an idea.

And yes - while my boy is toy oriented because he's been trained to be, he's not obsessed about chasing things for the sake of it, and my girl has never been a crazy toy girl .. I didn't teach her to tug until she was a bit older, and even now, toys are only interesting when I'm doing something with her. And both of them are like Jules' and piper's kids - really super off switch .. right now they could be outside chasing roiund an acre .. and they are .. asleep within a metre of me. :laugh:

You can definitely teach them to settle, that's one of the first things I focus on now with my fosters and my own pups! I want a good off switch, especially because my mobility is a little limited at the moment.

Make sure there is somewhere she is happy to settle, but also reward the settling (in a way that she finds rewarding, for some dogs this is attention for others it is being left alone!!). I would just ignore any pacing while she is new because it is likely to be a stress related behaviour rather than looking for something to do. My foster Coco did this because she couldn't figure out what was going on and why she was here. When she figured out that I didn't need her to do anything and she didn't need t be worried about anything she started to settle, and then she started to become a major couch potato!!! And currently I have 3 BC's here who haven't had a walk in a very long time (I can't walk them at the moment) who didn't even ask to play ball and they are all in their own spaces having a nap or keeping themselves busy!!

As for toys, agree with what others have said. To get Kenzie to tug really well I needed to use a jackpot tug - you put food inside it to initiate interest. She is now a super duper tugger!!! Mine have always loves chasing balls, so I struggle to give advice on that one!

Anyway enjoy your pretty girl! How old is she? I may have not been paying attention if you mentioned that!!

Tassie   

What a lovely family photo. Hamish is looking very handsome. And the girls are just gorgeous.

Mim   

Thanks for the comments. She's about 4.

She's stopped pacing and has settled a lot.

How's she going now, mr mister?

benshiva   

The most ball mad dog in my yard is my baby Whippet!   My Borders usually have little to no interest in balls.  They're far more interested in the Bullocks in the paddock next door.

auir   
On 1/18/2017 at 11:49 PM, DeltaCharlie said:

Wow, what happened to this thread? It used to be so active!

no idea, i check the page every now and then but dont want to disturb the crickets :)

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, DeltaCharlie said:

Wow, what happened to this thread? It used to be so active!

I got busy!!!

But our BC household is still going as it was for now.  Exciting news is that I should have a new BC baby coming later this year!!!  I can't wait!!  She is going to be perfect - well of course she will be because she will be mine!!

• Like 1