My Pet Peeve

This is one issue that I find very annoying. People that cancel their dog training after only a month or less with the excuse, "We love the dog and all but he's just too much for us right now so we had to rehome him because he's just too much dog".

I'm not an advocate of strict pet ownership laws but excuses like this sometimes make me wish for licensing to own a dog like they do for wildlife and mandatory obedience.

I understand that some dogs are villians and it takes great effort for people to learn to control them but I see to much evidence of quick disposals that it makes my head spin.

My rant! :rofl:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my dobe puppy at a local park a few days ago and it's school holidays here so there were kids everywhere! A little girl came up and asked if she could pat the puppy and she said she had been given a puppy for her birthday last year (She was 7) I asked her all about the puppy, it was a female Labrador they named Charlie. So I asked where Charlie was today and she said "Oh mum and dad got rid of her ages ago because she kept wreaking stuff and digging holes and barking all the time" :rofl:

People really do have NO idea what having a puppy is like! I had my pup in at work with me yesterday and the cleaners were here. They admired the pup and said they had just bought a $500 puppy from a pet shop for their daughter as it was school holidays and she was getting bored and the puppy was so cute. I asked what breed it was and they had NO IDEA!! :eek:

I give up now. And yet it seems so sad to me that these people will never know the full joy of having a working partnership with a dog, and having one as part of your life. Coming from me who has just lost a much loved canine family member, it makes me so mad when people just get rid of these dogs because it's too hard for them :eek:

it makes me so mad when people just get rid of these dogs because it's too hard for them :rofl:

Ditto!

I can only tell you that once in a while something makes up for it, such as meeting some complete stranger (in love with their dog) and finding out that they have my boys son.

I instruct at the club and I had an extremly unrully young dog in one of the beginners classes. The woman just had no control, I showed her tiny little bit on how to control the dog, make him not jump on her and told her to come next week with an update.

She did and thanking me, saying that last week she was in tears ready to rehome the monster.

She now comes to the club and the dog has improved heaps.

Not everyone should own a pet - I think there should be a licencing system for someone to get a pet, Info courses and exams.

Edited by myszka

At ADT we have hundreds of those "make a difference" moments where owners get shown techniques to get their dogs under control. Unfortunately, the issue that is annoying me at the moment is, Pure ugly laziness! Just couldn't be bothered, interrupts with my life schedule bone laziness.

My favourite saying is, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I always give full marks to a person I see train their dog to an Advanced level with any trainer as they have proven their resposibility. Hell, I even give marks to people who just stick with training but the percentage of people who look into training, decide that it's to much, to hard, to cold, to hot, to crowded, to few, to far, to many dogs etc etc.

These people should own a cat or better still, a slug

I used to have slugs!!! :rolleyes: :thumbsup: I know....... I was denayed pets when I was a child and most I managed to get was a stick insect, slugs and at some stage an aquarium.

My fav saying is - there are no stupid dogs just stupid owners.

I just taught an introductory class (8week intro) at dog training.

I was very lucky that all eight dogs were under 12months with most around six months. :rolleyes:

For something different I added some basic tricks to the course. I had all handlers just loving training, with them demo'ing their tricks in the final week. They were all amazed at how smart their dogs were and hopefully will become addicted to training (I live in hope). :thumbsup:

Hi

I know exactly what you mean but it is even worst when the person says to you, "do you think I shopuld get a Dobe pup?" My answer after finding ot how much spare time they had and watching their kids I said NO!!! and gave my reasons and suggested other breeds or an older dog from rescue. Anyway they got the dog and as I predicted the dog at 7 mths was feral. They rang and asked for advise, I told them to come and see me, again I explained the reason, they arranged a time, them cancelled without even coming to once and I have found out since the dog has gone to rainbow bridge :thumbsup: :rolleyes: The dogs crime, being a boisterous, uneducated young dog with @#$wits (scuse the french but they deserve this title) as owners. The dog was registered and wasn't cheap, but they didn't care he was annoying.

I have 2 dogs in my yard at the moment a Dobe rescue and A GSD foster both lovely dogs, they have been a little bit of trouble but we are working, managing our way through though these problems. With both of these dogs, I believe if the previous owners had a little bit of doggie knowledge these problems may not have occcurred.

I agree about the licences and mandatory training, I think you should HAVE to do the training for x amount of time and I think they should be also be made to do reviews once a year for a few years, if they don't they should be fined. I believe it would be a great revenue raising exercise if nothing else:))......for rescue groups *ironic laugh*

cheers

M-J

I agree about the licences and mandatory training, I think you should HAVE to do the training for x amount of time and I think they should be also be made to do reviews once a year for a few years, if they don't they should be fined. I believe it would be a great revenue raising exercise if nothing else:))......for rescue groups *ironic laugh*

Even if the Government introduced this and told people that the revenue raised would go back into better ammenities for dog owners etc would be great. The only problem is that when the government get involved with regulating anything they tend to create more problems and take things to extreme levels by only getting advice from the idiots that run the RSPCA.

The only problem is that when the government get involved with regulating anything they tend to create more problems and take things to extreme levels by only getting advice from the idiots that run the RSPCA.

Yep, that would be the biggest problem!

cheers

M-J

As I have just purchased a puppy I can tell you that I have signed a contract that specifies that I have to feed my dog BARF, that I have to do this that and the other as well as not to this that or the other (all with the dogs wellbeing in mind) and that I have to take my dog to obiedience .

If I dont live up to the contract the breeder has a right to take the dog back.

And I have signed it (almost in blood)

that is something, at least some "regulation"

that is something, at least some "regulation

That is great!!, pity the breeder of the Dobe pup I was talking about didn't have the same contract in place, he may have been in another home.

cheers

M-J

Not sure if i am allowed to voice my opinion here, but i will and see what happens :rolleyes:

I have a 12wo jrt and we have been to puppy playgroup and are beginning training this saturday :thumbsup:

I also agree that training should be mandatory, both for the dog and the owners.

Too many people don't research the breed they are buying as it is an impulse buy and don't know what they are getting themselves in for, so when the dog gets unruly they just give it away or dump it becasue it is easier to do that than spend 30 minutes a day training hte dog.

If council registration was dearer for untrained dogs (ie a minimum of 8week course?) then many more people would do the training, i know it may increase unregistered dogs also but if the cost of the training program was offset by the councils it may work. Or if with registration you got an 8 week course included that you had to complete or pay higher rego fees the next year.

Or something similar to give people incentive to train there animals.

My sister has a pup 4 weeks older than mine as well as a 14mo, both x breeds of unknown origin, but 'training is not her thing and the dogs don't need it cause they are small.

THey are unruly and misbehaved at the best of times.

It is people like her that need to be educated and made to train their dogs/themselves for the better of the community.

As I have just purchased a puppy I can tell you that I have signed a contract that specifies that I have to feed my dog BARF, that I have to do this that and the other as well as not to this that or the other (all with the dogs wellbeing in mind) and that I have to take my dog to obiedience .

If I dont live up to the contract the breeder has a right to take the dog back.

And I have signed it (almost in blood)

that is something, at least some "regulation"

I have something very similar in my purchase contract for a Rottweiler puppy that states that they must enrol in a social class and train there pup to at least a Basic level. If this has not been done by the time the dog is 3 months old I take it off them at their expense. Before any money changes hands, before they even look at the puppy, this clause is explained in detail. From 45 pups that I have bred, 2 have been collected by me and rehomed.

Hell hath no fury like a Herr Rottweiler scorned :thumbsup:

I can't imagine having a dog and not doing training, it's like having a car and never driving it. :thumbsup:

If that's what people want they should get a remote control dog that they can switch off. I also think that most people wait too long to start training, when the dog is out of control.

I have spoken to people about traing their pups and they honestly think they should wait until the dog is one year old or more.

Its great that breeders are letting people know about early training.

I also believe training needs to be fun for people to stay interested and they need to see some results to feel they have some ability as a handler or it all becomes too hard for most.

I know what you mean and agree, too many people make a spur of the momment decision about a cute puppy or a perception of a particular breed and forget the pup grows to a juvenile , then and adolescent and then an adult and they need to be taught what is acceptable and unacceptable as well as given some form of mental and physical stimulation. I like the idea of applying for a dog registration before you get a dog and having to attend responsible dog ownership seminars, puppy rearing info sessions and commit to compulsory basic obedience, exclusions for breeders and long term foster carers, proff dog trainers and guide/customs dog puppy trainers and the ilk. I 'm a bit tired of being jumped on by over enthusiatic, non trained dogs whose owners say "she/he just loves people" GREAT but people would love them more if they sat instead of jumped :thumbsup:

There is too much shutting the gate after the horse has bolted and too many good dogs being wrecked by irresponsible owners. May be I am being a tad overzealous with this ideal but if it was harder to get a dog it would help solve several issues

1. BYB and pet shop who sell animals out of business,

2. Increased awareness in breeds and understanding of canine physiology/psyche------> less dog attack incidents------>less breed related reports t/fore report by deed not breed

3. Increase in market share for breeders b/c BYB anbd pet shop out of the picture

Very simplistic I know and lots of pros and cons for discussion I am sure but nothing is evenr black and white

Maybe parts of it are due to ones upbringing?

I mean I have never ever in my life considered purchasing a non pedigree dog, it was either that or a rescue, none of the pure no papers stuff.

Perhaps it came from my parents teaching me about quality stuff and value for money? Dont know.

Edited by myszka

I have something very similar in my purchase contract for a Rottweiler puppy that states that they must enrol in a social class and train there pup to at least a Basic level. If this has not been done by the time the dog is 3 months old I take it off them at their expense. Before any money changes hands, before they even look at the puppy, this clause is explained in detail. From 45 pups that I have bred, 2 have been collected by me and rehomed.
What if I want to train my puppy for schutzhound work... or bite work and I decide social class would go against the training I want to imprint on it, would you not sell a puppy to me? :rolleyes:

Also, a three month old rotti would be entering its first fear period. If I enroll the puppy in this class you want and some dog attacks my puppy, would you give me my money back if the dogs becomes fear aggressive towards other dogs? :thumbsup: