My Pet Peeve

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohh see and thats why you have all these women who stay at your club and all guys come train with us hehehehe

When we had horses we used to tell our male instructor if he wanted more business all he neded to do was go topless and carry a stock whip

Edited by caninecoach

Interesting read this thread, and a good giggle. :rofl::laugh:

One point I'd like to comment on please, if thats ok. Its stated quite a few pages back that you shouldn't have a dog or recommend anyone have a dog unless you/they can give it one hour a day of their time.

Is one hour a day enough interaction to have a well behaved, socially balanced dog? Would be interested in your opinions.

(sorry to drag the topic away from visuals of HR topless with stockwhip in hand) :rofl:

Is one hour a day enough interaction to have a well behaved, socially balanced dog? Would be interested in your opinions.

I was not the one to say this, but IMO, one hour should be the minimum and I believe (without resourcing back to the person who said it here) that it would have been meant on the basis that there is general interaction with the dog whilst the owners are home (ie an indoor dog), but that ONE full hour of dedicated interaction (walks, training, play etc.) be given to the dog each day (for the most part).

Just my opinion though, and assuming the original quoter's intended meaning.

ETA: If the dog is an outdoor dog only, I believe more time needs to be dedicated by the owners to being outside with/around their dog, given they preclude the opportunity by prohibiting access to the human dwelling.

Edited by Erny

Interesting read this thread, and a good giggle. :eek::o

One point I'd like to comment on please, if thats ok. Its stated quite a few pages back that you shouldn't have a dog or recommend anyone have a dog unless you/they can give it one hour a day of their time.

(sorry to drag the topic away from visuals of HR topless with stockwhip in hand) :laugh:

My story, boring I am sure. I like my dogs company. Obviously I like dog hair too. The reason my husband and I purchased our first dog, was because we loved dogs, and throughout the years I have heard many stories of working dogs, working best, if they are kennelled when not trained or worked. Phoeey. If I had to leave my dogs outside, I would give up trialling.

That being said, one hour of training, it depends on the trainer. If I were to do obedience training, I would break up the hour into 2 half hour sessions. Probably three. There is a lot of obedience type exercises which are easily performed in our homes. Good distractions too. LOL

When training your own dog, time is irrelevant. There is no such thing as time when I'm training my own dogs as I often finish when I get what I believe to be the best out of my dogs. Even in private lessons, I will stop the exercise if I feel that the dog has peaked and we will either move to a different exercise or we will spend the remainer of the time discussing stratergies for what comes next.

I understand that in class scenarios we are bound by time, however I make sure all clients I deal with understnad that the result is far more important than the time.

I have only been taking my pups to trianing for 3 weeks, Barker had his first lesson on saturday.

I spend time with them every day going through what we have learnt.

I make them do something before they get anything from me, whether it is a sit before dinner, or stand at bathtime (cause barks likes to lay in his bath).

If you want well behaved dogs and trained dogs you need to put itme into them. You get out what you put in.

I was going to be taking Mitchi to 2 training sessions on the saturday, and probably will as she is too distracted having Barks in the same class as her at the moment.

Or should i perservere?

post-11136-1153115712_thumb.jpg After training on saturday

( :rofl: I iknow that they should not be on the couch BUT... well look at the angels.)

Get those dogs off your couch!!!!. She who has 15 sofa covers to choose from.

Take the dogs separately for a while so you can concentrate on one at a time. I have taken up to 3 to obedience but the "restees" were used to be staked.

My husband has one and i have the other but because she is so full on I will see how she goes this saturday. I think Barker will be put in young dogs in the next couple of weeks as he is a lot larger than Mitchi, then we shouldn't have this issue so much. We are also going to swap dogs this saturday and see if she does better with me. I am the firmer of the 2 of us when it comes to training, so that may also make a difference.

Another of my 'pet peeves' are owners/handlers who seem to think that 'training' doesn't start until they actually GET to class. I, as well as many other instructors are regularly and often pointing out to dog owners that training begins THE MOMENT the lead is attached to the dog. However, I constantly see people who ignore all the training advice given and techniques used to teach their dogs not to pull on the lead .... Instead, they allow their dogs to pull all the way to class and THEN their handlers put their learnt technique into action.

And this counts for NOT ONLY beginners, but ALSO for handler/dog combo's in the higher level classes as well. :rofl:

And then the people ask why their dog still pulls, or why their dog is unreliable in this respect. Not to mention that it's simply not fair on the dog - too much inconsistency. :rofl:(Erny searches for "pull hair out" emoticon)

ETA: I guess what I'm really saying here is that there is so much inconsistency in training by dog owners, on behalf of the dogs, I find it really frustratingly maddening. :rofl: :D Please don't do it.

Edited by Erny