Shayla Cuddles

MrBobsMum

Its been a year today that my girl Shayla a Border Collie x went to :angel: . She was just over 2 years of age but her life had been full and fun.

She was adopted from the AWL in November 2000, she was a 9 week old pup. On the way home she cuddled into Samantha's shoulder, I wanted to call her cuddles.

My stepson who was only 7 at the time spoke up and said why dont you call her Shayla, and that became her name. She was an adventurous girl, her and her adopted sister used to go swiming in summer down the Nerang river that is a block from us without telling us that they were going. Unfortunately my neighbours didnt take kindly to this and they had more than just a couple of visits to the pound :rofl:

She was a very intelligent girl, she worked out how to open our back sliding door, latch on or off. She would lift it with her teeth. She also cost us a fortune with our security company too. Phone call from the security guard telling us the black bandits had infulltrated the compound again :angel::angel::rofl:

Shay also loved her soccer ball, spent hours chasing it with Molly.

Shay wasnt without her problems though, she had major flea and food alergies, and ear infections, put on steriods to help with the alergies she put on over 10kg's but it didnt stop her from being active. In the week leading up to her getting very sick, I noticed she had started going off her food and occasionly being sick, didnt think too much of the sickness because sometimes thats what dogs do. It was when she couldnt drink water and hold it down made me realise how sick she was. She was taken to the vets, and it was found that she had pancrianits. I was so upset the poor girl had been through so much and now this.

Against my better judgment, I let the vet treat the illness, she had explained that this can sometimes be a result of the steriods. She was to stay in overnight, then they were going to take it from there. I prepared my camera to take down that night, sometimes you just know.

I woke up about 8.15 the next morning, and then drifted back to sleep. 15 minutes later there was a phone call. I am sorry but shay went into cardiac arrest.

I had woken up around the time it happened! At least my girl was finally at rest.

The hardest thing for me is that I dont have a picture of her anywhere, not even video footage that I had thought I had taped, and most of all is that I never got to say goodbye to my girl, as I did with her sister Molly 5 months later.

I received a beautiful card from the vets ALL THINGS BEAUTIFUL IN THIS WORLD ARE NEVER REALLY LOST! Its so true. Shayla I look foward to meeting you Molly and all before you on the Rainbow Bridge.

Love

Colleen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:):) :D Colleen!

~*~ALL THINGS BEAUTIFUL IN THIS WORLD ARE NEVER REALLY LOST~*~ I love this saying Colleen!! I will remember it always ;)