Grooming A Poodle

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Kavik - I must have read more into your comment than was intended. Apologies if I was on the defensive.

It is amazing how different poodles look when they've got their scruffy faces on. I'm just dreading having to clip him back when the coat change happens. No more fluffy!

Edited by Natashja

My mum used to have a toy poodle and we would do a lamb trim on her, just shorter than in the picture. She only had slightly baggy legs, shaved face and short fringe.

She looked great adn didn't matt as we kept her trimmed.

But definitely get bum, face, and tummy down top stop matts/knots adn stuff getting stuck in there.

*hides* We had a Labradoodle at the daycare that looked identical to your dog Natashja! They also liked to keep him scruffy, but they NEVER brushed him and he was always such a mess. My feelings every time I saw him was the same as poodlefan :thumbsup: That and give him a good brush! The owners actually got mad if we brushed him because they didn't like him fluffy (sometimes I did it anyway)! Which made it interesting when they booked him in for a bath or a clip . . .

EFS

You can see Chomsky's coat is well-cared for. First time I saw his photo (b4 reading post) I thought he was a labradoodle, too.

I often let Oscar air-dry if it's warm and like the curly/ rastafarian look he has afterwards. No knots or matts allowed here, either. You'll be suprised how quickly the coat will grow back when u clip him for the coat change (I learned this when making mistakes with the clippers).

My ideal would be a nice, blowdried coat in puppy trim. Once I was asked to babysit a black standard pup that was at a dog show for practice- :champagne: I've never felt such a soft, fluffy coat- he was gorgeous! Closest comparison I can think of is our alpaca rug (sorry alpaca). I've not been able to replicate the fluffiness, but it'd only last a day or so b4 Oscar'd be sandy or wet, anyway.