When Will He Stop Squatting

It is like asking how long is a piece of string. My male Elkhound started lifting his leg when he was about 8 months old. His brother has only just started recently and he is 2 1/2. My Afghan is 16 months and he has only lifted his leg about 3 times. All dogs are different.

Our 3 year old entire GSD male still squats like a girl ... unless there is another dog around and then he lifts his leg (he probably doesn't want to look like a girl) :laugh:

He didn't start lifting his leg until he was about 2.

Edited by Tilly

My little boy doesn't cock his leg and I must say I like it this way. I know when he wants to go to the toilet when he starts looking for a place to squat. Plus he's inside most days and he can go on the paper. I dont think it's possible for him to wee on the paper if he cocks his leg.

He did half cock it a few times but that's gone now.

Just curious :laugh: but Why do you want your boy to cock his leg?

My boy who is 19months old started to cock his leg at 9month. I know that with my boy, my brother wouldn't walk him because he was embarrased.

I know that I liked it when my boy squated, very easy toilet training when he was a puppy especially on cold nights all in one spot rather than all around the back yard.

All I can say he will do it when he's ready and he may not ever cock his legs ever!

Nat

I have 2 male Springers who still do girlie squats :love: one is 4.5 years and the other is 20 months. It doesnt worry me that they dont cock their leg, at least they dont pee on car wheels, plants or your leg :laugh:

Hey dont worry as long as he can pee that all that matters :cry:

I have 2 male Springers who still do girlie squats :cry: one is 4.5 years and the other is 20 months. It doesnt worry me that they dont cock their leg, at least they dont pee on car wheels, plants or your leg :love:

I never thought of it like this :laugh:

I have 2 male Springers who still do girlie squats :cry: one is 4.5 years and the other is 20 months. It doesnt worry me that they dont cock their leg, at least they dont pee on car wheels, plants or your leg :cry:

I never thought of it like this :laugh:

The 4.5 year old only pees on a walk when he needs to. It makes the walk great, the 20 month old pees every chance he can, it suprises me as to how much they can hold in their bladder, do a little bit and another little bit and another little bit.......................Gee wish i could do that :love:

My Rottie alternates between squatting and cocking. If he is trying to mark(such as on a tree) then he cocks but the majority of the time he squats when he's out to go potty. He didn't start cocking until he was almost 2.

My 5 1/2 month old pups are just starting to lift their legs on the odd occasion. You will find that dogs will lift their legs at a much earlier age if they live with other males who do it, the behaviour is as much imitative as hormonal.