Very Sick Great Dane

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hav'nt worried this week but when he gets over exited he likes to crash tackle me to the floor, and he did it 3 times tonight so he must be feeling better.

Bet that was the first time you were thrilled to be thrown to the floor by a dog!!

So glad he is doing better.

That is great news :thumbsup:

There is a Vet in NSW that is also a Homeopathic Vet and very good, they are at Russell Lea and their website

is naturalvet.com.au( Dr Barb Fogure(sp?) and Dr Sue Hunter)

Drop them an email and they will get back to you very promptly. I have used them a couple of times and because they are Conventional Vets they know what you are on about.

An update

King relapsed a little bit over night, however he is still eating well and drinking and has some energy. It seems that the infection has moved back into his sinuses. I have a feeling that he has a virus and secondary infection, since he is on two strong anti-biotics.

He is also on mucohexine for the mucous, norocarp and the main antibiotic he is on is clavulox (spelling?)

There are a couple of other tablets, and he is going onto extra courses of medication even after the symptoms clear.

I am still looking at supplements. There are so many. I am looking to see if a canine equivilent of sustagen exists?

I am actually trying to get condition back onto a very old horse aswell and saw a couple of things that are for canine and equine. Thrive D was one.

I will go and have another look.

In the past I have actually given dogs sustagen (vanilla, not choc cause of the caffine) with success - mixed either in water or with pet milk, I have found that when my old girl is off colour or is not in an eating mood for some reason this picks her up pretty quickly. Otherwise, there is an electrolite product used for greyhounds called Recharge that may be of help too.

New age outlaw,

didn't know that about the choc sustagen?? In any case would have thought it(caffeine) would work like a pick me up?? Ignorance speaking.

The vet nurses advised me once, to give Bear, gatorade,to help bring up the electolytes. It did help. To help with energy and rehydration.

jls

I'm glad King is doing ok, cross my fingers for him.

Thrive D is fine.

With the old horse, providing it has good teeth and no worms, and access to roughage (ie, grass, hay etc), you will do better with a high protein food. Also consider boiling whole barley and linseed (not together) and adding Denkovite (calf milk powder) + soy bean meal, and mixing this through the food, which I presume is chaff etc, or hay. This will make a wet feed, and you can add some molasses. More or less balanced, and the remainder of the ration - depending on what you are feeding, will balance it more. Bit of a hassle, but the results are worth while.

On the topic of the skinny horse, I was given a thoughbred just over 10 years ago, that had been badly neglected, we fattened him up with Pollard. Don't know if you can still get it, but we mixed it to a paste and added that to his chaff etc.

I am feeding the horse on weight lifter (just started) mixed with wheaten chaff. She also gets lucerne hay. I was advised to add half a cup of canola or veg oil to her feed each day till she has fattened.

I am sure the weight lifter has pollard in it. It is a high protien feed. If it dosn't work though I will look at some of those ideas, I think she needs a biotin supplement for her feet. I have seen some but they are very expensive and no garrantee they will really do much for her now.

TGD so glad to hear your puppy is on the mend, in fact I'm sort of glad I didn't read this post up until now, since all I would have been good for is wringing my hands with anxiety.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

(just a note on caffeine in coffee, tea or chocolate - chocolate is a no no because of another toxic component - tea and coffee generally bad for dogs due to caffeine being toxic in big doses - but if after a shock and there is no internal injuries half a cup of weak coffee - quarter teaspoon - can be given as a one off dose to help kick start the system a bit.)

Hi

An update on King.

He had a check up today and the vet said he is doing much better. He expects him to make a full recovery. He may have some scarring in his lungs but probably not too much. If he ever catches a cough or cold again though I have to rush him to the vet, as he has an increased chance of pneumonia again now.

But he has put on 3kg this week and is up to 45kg now. Once he is getting close to 50kg I am cutting his food back down a little.

He has decided all by himself that he will let people know if he likes them by offering his paw and shaking hands. I taught him to shake hands, but I always had to ask him to. Now he just does it when he wants to who he wants!

People are very impressed and he knows it :D He had about 20 people stop to admire him, pet him and talk to him today, in the space of 25 minutes while I was waiting for someone outside woollies.

Now he is sleeping, it was his first outing in weeks.

And King says a big thankyou to everyone who wished him well and was worried about him.

To you, he offers his left paw :rofl:

Sincethe night after his last vet trip, things have slid backward a bit. The vet gave him a good review and says he was much better. That night though the mucous came back in his sinus... quite badly. His coughing and wheezing started back up too.

I have just been up all night, His breathing earlier was really terrible. He shook and trembled on each inhalation. I could hear his wheezing and crackling in the next room.

He stopped after a while.... now he is sleeping peacefully. He was quite dozy today and lethargic. Had a bit of troube convincing him to eat.

If he is still like this in a few hours when he wakes up, mum is driving back down from Syd again and it's back to the vet again.

Please keep praying for his recovery.

:rofl:

TGD ... I haven't posted here before and until now, haven't followed your thread. I did see your original post but at the time did not have the clarity of mind to respond due to my own heart wrenching loss of which I know you are aware. But please know that, in amongst my own grief, I did send well wishes to you and to King and continue to do so to see him out and through his relapse into full health once more.

Sounds like King is receiving all the help and good nursing one could wish for. :rofl:

Get well soon King .... we're all rooting for you.

PS I too Vote 1 for thermomaster coats. My girl (who hated the cold) had one and no matter the weather, always felt toasty warm underneath it. In times when I had to go and train in the coldest of weather was envious of her coat and daydreamed about having one made for myself. :) She had the 'dry-as-a-bone' variety which was great as it was both waterproof but breathable.