Anyone Feeding Their Dogs On Raw Food Only?

ls_l

After reading lots and lots of things on whats best to feed my dogs, I have come to a conclusion that a raw diet only would be best, but first, I'd like to know if any of you do feed their dogs that way, and what are the weekly cost for large breed dogs(one is still a pup, but not for long!!).

Thanks for all your inputs! :rofl:

I have 2 medium/large dogs (30 kg and 19 kg) and a cat and it's $25.50 for their food (mince plus chook bits plus brisket bones) per week. But I do buy extra bones for the dogs and Vets All Natural mix for the cat. Plus every now and then I do up a batch of vege pulp so that can work out a bit exy depending on the price of f&v. It lasts for weeks though (I freeze it).

I just buy most of my stuff from the same pet food supplier I've been using for years, because I'm too lazy to shop around. It's possible to buy chicken cheaper than I'm paying for it.

We're big believers in the BARF diet for dogs - but since we buy the meat quantities in bulk and keep it in a huge freezer, its difficult to calculate exactly how much the per day cost would be... but whatever it is its worth it for the wellbeing and longevity of our beloved pet.

I feed the Dobe on a veg mix with lots of "extras" including some offal (but no mince) and on raw meaty bones. She is about 30-32kg.

It costs me a little more to feed her that way as opposed to the tins and kibble I used to feed, but if I were to compare it to the more expensive "quality" kibble, I don't think there would be any difference.

It does take a bit extra time and effort.

Kaisie does well on it and is actually inclined to gain a bit of weight. However, there have been other owners here who have reported that they need to feed a whole lot more to keep their dog in good nick - so I guess there is a variation between dogs and, possibly, different reactions to different mixes.

We buy commercially prepared BARF diet direct from manufacturers. Because our Boxer is a performance dog, we use a Greyhound BARF mix, which is higher in fat.

Manufacturer's suggestion is 20g/kg of dog/day. So our 25KG Boxer gets 500g/day.

So that makes it just under $1.40/day for him x 7 =

Just under $10/week.

He could easily be sustained as just this diet alone, but we also like to buy chicken carcasses/necks/maryland, Beef/Lamb bones & offal, and also Eagle Pack dog food, mixed with Lactose Free Milk (Cheaper than pet milk), and eggs, & sardines, as well as Glucosamine, Fish Oil, and Sprint Oil for a bit of Variety.

But yes the BARF diet is the main staple.

hope this answer's your question?

-WithEverythingIAm

Hard to say how much it costs.

I have 5 little ones ranging from 3.6kg - 10kgs.

It can costs me $1.25 per day (4 chicken frames for a dollar) to $15.00 or $30.00 per month.

It depends on how lucky or unlucky I am that week/month.

Once I got 4 chicken frames for .04cents. Silly supermarket weigh scales were off wack and they put them on the shelves. So I picked up all of the packets. Only three.

Of course they have to sell them at that price.

Thanks for all your inputs everyone, its great to have some personal experience from all of you:)- I'm still looking to buy a secondhand freezer to stock all my pets food in it.

PS. Flames_Daddy - - -> I really love your dobs!!!

I buy 12kg boxes of chicken necks for $21.60, 12 kg box of wings, drumsticks, peices for $21.60, chicken mince for 60 cents per kilo. Beef mince is $1.50 kg

Vegetables are free from my local greengrocer, I blend all to pulp

I do not feed rice or pasta

and I feed dry food Advance Turkey and Rice for the adults $80 and Advance Puppy Growth for the pups $90 15kg bags

I could not tell you how much per week but much, much cheaper than tins and dry kibble only

I can feed 5 x 20-25kg medium size dogs, 6 x 4-10kg dogs and 4-6 puppies for about $50 per week on a semi BARF diet

The chicken necks and pieces in boxes comes from Slick Chicks and the mince (chicken and beef) comes from Wallsend Produce, but I get a reduced rate on the mince because I do rescue

The boxes are the same price for everyone, benefits of living in Newcastle

Believe me BARF is cheaper than feeding commercial, packaged, pre-prepared foods. Also fewer & less odorous faeces to pick up! Better health, long lived dogs, fewer visits to the vets, less need for worm & flea preparations; basically cost effective all round!

Guest Clover

It cost me about a $1 - $1.50 each to feed my dogs a day on RAW ;). That includes vegies, meat, bones, yogurt, and supplements etc.

we feed our 1 yo staffy on a completely raw diet it costs under $10 a week because we buy everything in bulk from the markets then freeze a months supply in the freezer. she has chicken necks, chicken carcasses, offal, beef bones, chicken feet, fish, yogurt, and vegies.

Pretty much what others have said. Chicken necks, very cheap, we get for our amstaff about 6kg/week-10 days, mince (mixed lamb and beef) and sometimes hearts (I have to boil these for few minutes, he wont eat them raw :banghead: ). Rice I cook and sometimes put veges in with rice (once rice is cooked) so that they soften a bit (my dog hates veges).... In any case I started cooking for my dog all meat, I leave it for 10 mins, these days I give him maily raw (but he gets sick of it so from time to time I will boil it a bit). MUCH better than comercial food if you have time to prepare it every day.....

I feed mine on a modified BARF- they are still both young so get 2 meals a day. The BARF mix costs me $2.10 for both of them per day, chook frames are $12 for 36, wings $2/kg (the whippet won't eat frames, she just buries them- same with red meat bones). They get about 3 cups of advance between them in the morning- my last 20kg bag cost $65 thanks to Ish. So for the one evening meal plus bones it is roughly $2.50 per day for both of them, if you factor in the advance brekkie its about $4/day for both.