Adam Katz's Books

PM "Herr Rottweiler" here on DOL. I'm fairly sure he's mentioned him .... and if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think his comments were favourable. I've tried doing a search using the DOL search engine, but had no results. I'll check in the "general forum" for the same, as I'm really not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me. ;) I'll post back here if I can find where comments were made.

There's nothing revolutionary about Adam Katz. He just depends on marketing hype from his web site to help him sell books. He was on a forum I was on in the USA and for a guy that claims to have all the answers he didn't appear to know all that much when push came to shove.

There are trainers in Australia that you could learn more from. Save your money and go and get a few good private lessons

There's nothing revolutionary about Adam Katz. He just depends on marketing hype from his web site to help him sell books. He was on a forum I was on in the USA and for a guy that claims to have all the answers he didn't appear to know all that much when push came to shove.

There are trainers in Australia that you could learn more from. Save your money and go and get a few good private lessons

Easier said than done, you can also pay heaps for private lessons that are supposedly 'good', only to discover the so called expert was no expert at all and the cost of the private lessons are going to be much more than Adam Katz' book. So you can still lose out big time. Katz may use web based marketing hype but I dont have a problem with the content of his book or the methods he advocates. Certainly not the worst book on dog training I have ever read..

I thought advising clients to spit in their dogs food was one of the funniest, (and stupidest) things i've ever read! :banghead:

As far as private lessons go, there's a few good trainers on here that should be close by to you that could teach you plenty. A good demonstration speaks a thousand words. Many people who have had dog issues have tried advise through books only to find that they are still appliying techniques through their own perspective which tend to lead to failure and frustration until they learn from someone who can give valuable pointers

I thought advising clients to spit in their dogs food was one of the funniest, (and stupidest) things i've ever read! :swear:

:banghead: The point of this "method" being?

A good demonstration speaks a thousand words. Many people who have had dog issues have tried advise through books only to find that they are still appliying techniques through their own perspective which tend to lead to failure and frustration until they learn from someone who can give valuable pointers

Agree, HR. And a book can 'put it over' someone more easily and believably. Unless the reader is already knowledgeable to some extent, there is no 'yard stick' for the reader to go by. The 'real maccoy' however, needs to be able to demonstrate his/her worth.

Edited by Erny

I thought advising clients to spit in their dogs food was one of the funniest, (and stupidest) things i've ever read! :mad

:banghead: The point of this "method" being?

Accoding to Katz, when an Alpha eats he covers the kill with his saliva and being that he is the first one to eat, all the subordinates who eat afterwards will smell and taste his saliva. In his opinion, this is one of his methods to ensure dominance over your dogs.

I don't know about you Erny, but I find spitting in my dogs food quite unsavoury :swear:

It has certainly never been anything i have had to recommend to any of my clients to establish pack dominance :whip:

Accoding to Katz, when an Alpha eats he covers the kill with his saliva and being that he is the first one to eat, all the subordinates who eat afterwards will smell and taste his saliva. In his opinion, this is one of his methods to ensure dominance over your dogs.

the mind boggles. :(

Easier said than done, you can also pay heaps for private lessons that are supposedly 'good', only to discover the so called expert was no expert at all and the cost of the private lessons are going to be much more than Adam Katz' book.

Touche Pippi - completely agree. :(

Easier said than done to find people who can genuinely help, without waiting months/travelling miles or both. :rofl:

Its certainly not easy to find good information, whether that be in book format, DVD/video or private lessons. :rofl:

Good thing I have this forum.... :rofl:

Its certainly not easy to find good information, whether that be in book format, DVD/video or private lessons. :rolleyes:

Good thing I have this forum.... :p

Who do you think are the many that give advice here on the topics you raise?

Erny - what I was referring to is the people around me.... i.e those within a 1.5 to 2 hour drive of me. I would love to have the opportunity of people like those on this forum at my fingertips "face to face" - but I'm a 3 hour drive from the city. As a result, I have to rely more on people at my "local" dog traning schools (45 minutes away ATM - my last was 1hour+) for the regular "face to face" information and hope to god they are correct in their teaching. I've so far learnt that they aren't always right. :confused:

As a newbie dog owner back in January (before I joined this forum) I had no idea who was good and who was not so good in terms of books/dog trainers etc... as a result I have several books in my "doggie library" which I've since found are in the not so good category.. i.e Bark Busters Guide to Dog Training :p

Which is why I said "good thing I have this forum" :eek:

Since I have joined this forum, thanks to some good recommendations I now have some very informative books and DVDs, and some idea on who to go to should I decide that I will have a private lesson. Sadly, I have contacted several people on this forum for training/lessons etc, out of 3 people I have attended one workshop several months ago (Thanks Steve!), the second never bothered replying and the third was going to check dates and never heard from again.... :confused:

Bring on November!! :rolleyes:

Edited by feralpup

Since I have joined this forum, thanks to some good recommendations I now have some very informative books and DVDs, and some idea on who to go to should I decide that I will have a private lesson. Sadly, I have contacted several people on this forum for training/lessons etc, out of 3 people I have attended one workshop several months ago (Thanks Steve!), the second never bothered replying and the third was going to check dates and never heard from again.... :thumbsup:

Looks like you're knocking on the wrong doors

Clearly Mr Katz has never observed African Hunting Dogs feeding (I love those critters). They actually allow the young to eat first. Come to think of it I've never observed a wolf salivate over an entire Caribou before allowing others to feed either.

Observations on wild wolves actually have shown that who is "alpha" changes according to the task. One dog might lead the pack in protecting territory but another, more skilled hunter, may lead the pack to hunt.

Anyway hate all this "act like the same species" kind of training. As Patricia McConnell says, dogs KNOW we aren't dogs. The key to training is to communicate clearly and effectively in a manner the dog can understand, not to try and become a dog.

I'm certainly not going to spit on my dog's food, or overpee all their pees.. :rofl:

I'm certainly not going to spit on my dog's food, or overpee all their pees..

Slightly:offtopic:

:rofl: I have to share a funny story with you all. We have 4 dogs and they each take it in turns to urinate over the previous dog's wee - starting with the youngest whose 20 weeks through to oldest 13 years. Anyway, it seems that our 13yo GSD is always the last one - he watches and waits patiently until the others are finished, then he urinates last over what becomes a puddle in the backyard. My OH and I were watching this scenario one particular day and he said "you know what, I'm gonna do what they've all done" - so he promptly got up and wee'd over the GSD's efforts. "That's gross" I said as I sipped my wine.

The funny thing was, our GSD waltzed over, sniffed the puddle and walked away.

Now I certainly don't advocate this - well only if you enjoy the sweet arome of urine - but it was certainly an interesting "chain" of events!!