Premium Dog Foods...too Expensive!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kristie,

Is the holistic better than the normal eagle pack?

Of the eagle foods, the holistic line is much better than their regular line. it's right in line with the other high-end foods. The holistic range contains no corn. The non-holistic ones are still good, definitely much better than the usual mainstream foods. But I prefer the holistic range.

If you contact Eagle Pack they will give you samples to try. They recently gave me heaps of samples of the Holistic Duck & Oatmeal, as well as the Holistic Anchovies, Salmon & Sardines to try with my IBD afflicted boy. So far we have only tried the Duck & Oatmeal but he's fine with it. Previously I was feeding him Hills Z/D Ultra which is only available from vets, he was fine with it but I like to vary his protein sources every now and then. They also supplied some Chicken & Rice but as Duncan is Chicken intolerant I will try that with my girl instead.

Regards,

Corine

I only feed Premium food.

It is not costly at all , people see the initial price and go OMG.. But you save as it is very concentrated and dont need to feed as much. I feed twice a day and they only ever poo twice a day. Their poos are always consistent , i never have trouble with the runs or constipation. It saves on vets bills and has the added bonus of being easy to prepare and store.

The best way is to go shopping with them and add up how much crap that they are feeding now and the cost of it. Then check the back label of a premium food and compare the 2 , break it down in to a daily figure i think you will be very suprised at the cost. Then add in the better condition the dog will be in and the suffering that is being caused and see what the end result is.

I always recommend my puppy buyers to put X amount away in an envelope each week with the weekly cost, by the time they are ready for more that money will be available. So if you work out it will cost $10 a week , put that in an envelope by the time they are due for more the money is there ready and waiting

They always recommend to change over in around a week 7-10 days , so mix x amount in and lessen the one they are on. I have found though myself with my dogs i just change and havent had any problems YET!!!

Cheers

Julie

Thankyou so much everyone. I never realised that a bag of premium would last that long. If you're right (and I don't doubt you at all) that might just prove to be the deciding factor for them buying better food.

I think I'll go ahead and buy them a bag of the good stuff (what ever is easier for them to get a hold of where they are) and make sure they know how to introduce it to Bexley and how much to feed her.

I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks and then again at xmas so maybe I'll get a second bag and bring it up at xmas too. ;) No excuses for them after that. lol

Cheers guys & gals! You really helped me out, I was just about to give up on them.

Oh and I've told them repeatedly how bad the food they feed her is....they don't listen though. :rofl: I'll never understand these 'non-doggy' people. Hope the change in her (the dog) proves my point though. :rofl:

Cass.

Premium foods arent actually more expensive, they are cheaper....

They just seem pricey for the initial purchase but they will last you longer, hence save money because you have to feed less than supermarket brands. I feed Eukanuba and it costs one dog like $1.50 per day.

exactly.

I have a frequent buyers card buy 10 bags get the 11th free and I'm not a breeder, but the place I buy it from have the VIP cards.

Cheers,

Mel.

Hi Mel, where do you buy yours from? I buy from www.petdeli.com.au I might enquire about that VIP card.

We feed ours proplan and i will agree with everyone else here.......its cheaper than the cheap stuff as you dont need to feed them as much........i converted my mother in law over to proplan for her little guy.....hes a lhaso x maltese and i worked it out that he needed to eat 1 cup a day and she bought the 9kg bag for around $56 and it worked out to costing her 0.62cents a day to feed him........you couldnt feed him the cheap crap for that......

I am feeding 2 saints on proplan and i worked that out to be costing me $38.00 a week.......for the amount of cheap stuff i would have to feed them to satisfy them it would cost me about $70.00 a week.......its a big difference.....

Kellie

ETA.....Proplan is available in all sorts of varieties at Pet Stock stores.....

Edited by ablenath

Hi Mel, where do you buy yours from? I buy from www.petdeli.com.au I might enquire about that VIP card.

Hiya, I'm in Melb and I buy mine from a do-it-yourself dog wash/pet supply. They have stocked it for many years as they train in Sledding and have always fed it to their dogs. I'm not sure if it's something the company is doing because they have stocked it for so long..??

Sorry I can't help any further,

Cheers,

Mel.

ETA: Cassiepeia the reason why they are more expensive as well is that you are paying for better quality ingredients, and the same amounts of those in each bag. The quality control in many super premium foods is much more stringent. My dogs never ever have tummy upsets, as the food is always the same, bag after bag.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I am feeding 10 dogs that range from geriatric Great Dane down to chihuahuas and a silky terrier. (She is 3.5kg) I have not tried eagle pack yet but I have them all on eukanuba. Every now and then I'm tempted with something cheaper but I always regret it. The poo quantities just increase amazingly and the dogs need to eat so much more on the cheaper stuff. I always go back to premium. My old Dane gets horrible diarrhoea on cheaper stuff and Dane diarrhoea is just so bad cause it comes by the bucket full.

Because I have so many, a 15kg bag lasts 2 weeks at my place. Its really only the big dogs that cost a few $$ to feed. In the grand scheme of things, the tiny amount eaten each day by a chi or by my silky costs a few cents. Most of the pet food warehous tupe places around here do a loyalty type programme, Buy 10 and then you get a bag for free.

My 6 tinies (chi's, chi x's, silky and mini foxy none of which weigh more than 4.5kg) share about 1 and 2/3 cups, twice a day. So you can see that even buying the little 3kg bag, it will last one silky for weeks. (They all do get bones etc but not every day, the dry is their main food.)

My silky has great skin and a lovely coat, in fact even though I have ten dogs, some poundies, some purebreeds and some mixed breeds, theres not a skin problem amongst them.

Sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread, but I'm curious why some of you include Eukanuba & Purina ProPlan... as 'premium' foods. Everything I've heard about them is that they are two of the worst foods you could possibly feed. Both having whole grain Corn, Corn meal or Corn gluten meal as one of the biggest ingredients.

Surely the addition of corn removes them from the premium list?

Cass.

I have a frequent buyers card buy 10 bags get the 11th free and I'm not a breeder, but the place I buy it from have the VIP cards.

Cheers,

Mel.

I buy from the Pet Depot in Leichhardt and they have the Frequent buyers card for EP. :laugh:

Hi Catzatsea,

I buy from the Pet Depot in Leichhardt and they have the Frequent buyers card for EP.

Do they have home delivery service? I buy mine from www.petdeli.com.au Free Delivery Sydney Metro for orders $60 and above. I made an enquiry about the frequent buyers card and they said they'll let me know as they will need to speak to someone in Melbourne next week about it.

I'm in Bondi and it can be a lot of traffic going to Leichhardt to get a bag of food. But if they do home delivery, it will be worth while to order from them to have the free bag later.