Mrs. B & I Lost Our Dog

Bonzawani

Andy, our 3½ year old Cocker Spaniel, was hit by a car while I was walking him this past Saturday night.

It happened on our way home from the local park.

He would always stay "at heel" until I'd give him the release command to run around (on a 16' retractable leash). He was trained not to go off the curb without me. There is a large patch of grass just a 100' from my house, so I gave him a release. For some reason, he decided to go into the street and bark at a passing car. (Something he never did before.) He hit the side of the car, and I thought the worst would be a broken hind leg. There was no external bleeding.

It being a Saturday night, the only place I could take him was the Univ. of PA Vet Hospital, a ½hour away. He died in my lap on the way; I guess from internal injuries/bleeding.

andy4.29.04a.jpg

RIP Andy. We loved you so much.

Bonz

:):):thumbsup:

So very sorry to read your sad story.

I have a fairly good idea how you're feeling, I have also lost a dog suddenly... it is never easy at any time, but suddenly really knocks you for six.

He will be forever in your hearts.

RIP Andy :wave:

What a beautiful photo of Andy, Bonza, he was a stunning dog and it's easy to see how much he was loved. I can understand where you're coming from with regard to the car, my Lab is also well trained to sit at the kerb but the other day he just stepped out onto the road without a thought, fortunately no cars but it only takes a second, and dogs will be dogs. Mrs. B will feel terrible that she didn't get chance to say goodbye, I know how that feels my 5yr old Shepherd was put to sleep with cancer while I was a work and I never got to kiss him goodbye, beat myself up about it for a long time, and there's always lots of "if only's", but sadly we have to accept fate, I can see Andy will be setting hearts on fire with all the ladies at the bridge, hugs to you both for your sad loss.

:rofl: :D :p to you and Mrs. B. I feel so sorry for your loss of such a handsome boy, no wonder your hearts are breaking, out for time together and this terrible accident Oh God.

Andy you beautiful boy take your angel wings and fly to the :laugh: and be a guardian ;) for your heartbroken Mum and Dad.

Hi bennie!

Good to see you join this fine doggy forum.

The DOL'ers will enjoy talking to you. Especially since your dogs are working dogs.

I know you'll keep them laughing here.

I won't be around much for awhile. (Just here now for this thread.)

I hope to be back in the near future.

Mrs. B & I know we can't replace Andy, but a new puppy will help us recover from his passing.

Until I have new pics to post...

Bonz

Thanx Mooper & jls.

We're now discussing a call to the breeder to see if she has any pups.

I just have to wait a liittle longer so I don't cry when I tell her what happened to Andy.

We know we can't replace him, but another dog will help fill the void.

Otherwise, it's just me and the Mrs.

And that's just... :confused:

Bonz

Oh gosh my heart breaks for you. My son was driving home the other day and he saw a dog off leash run straight across the road. The dog had seen a cat on the other side of the road and run as fast as ightening after it. The owners were right there with the dog and they said he never ever would go on the road like that and was highly obedience trained. It was German Sheppard and he died right there.

Such a tragedy. Give yourself time. It will be ok. He was a beautiful dog and his life was filled with love and joy with you and Mrs B. He will be your angel now watching over you.

You know if you are ok to get another puppy right away. Its the best thing for some people. One tip - I lost a very special cat under terrible circumstances. I blamed myself and I missed her terribly. I went and got another kitten, same gender, same breed, identical colour. I found it really hard to bond with the kitten (now she and I are fine but was very complicated and difficult). Maybe it was just me, but my advice for what its worth would be to get one with as different colouring to Andy as you can, and maybe even a different gender.

Once again, I'm so sorry for your tragedy.

Edited by Sky

All the best Bonzawani, You can never replace these special ones, but I agree with you,a healthy pup,brings a little healing. When you finally, get that new addition,I wait with baited breath,to meet them.

We'll be doing the same ourselves,helpful near years end. Your in my thoughts an prayers.

I love cockers, my mum used to breed and show them. Sweeties aren't they??

:laugh: jls

Edited by jls