Herding Training

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am coming up to Qld for two days training with Steven Rowell - 1st time out of NSW (Friday and Saturday morning). Will any of you be there as I would like to meet other DOLS. Please email me or post reply on this thread.

Hi Hesapandabear, I think on the flyer where is says bitches only, I belive that is only for the vetting.

It would have been nice to meet you Bindibu, but I won't be there on friday or saturday mornings. I hope you enjoy it. :mad

Perry and I have been going to classes for 15 months now and she is becoming quite good. We started at Echuca and have been to classes in Binalong, Bungendore, Michelago, Bungonia and Uralla. We still have not done the HIC or HIT because I have absolutely no idea how to organise it for a Koolie who lives in the ACT. Can anyone give me any advice please?

Have you contacted the ACTCA office and asked them about the sporting register?

If your dog is registered with the Koolie club she may be eligible. If not, and if she's desexed, register her as an associate.

You may have to describe her as a kelpie cross, I'm not sure, as the rules don't mention Koolie's, just working dog crosses. There are a fair few Koolie's doing ANKC herding at the moment so there is definately a way to enter her.

quote name='Perry's Mum' date='26th Aug 2006 - 09:11 PM' post='1194230']

Perry and I have been going to classes for 15 months now and she is becoming quite good. We started at Echuca and have been to classes in Binalong, Bungendore, Michelago, Bungonia and Uralla. We still have not done the HIC or HIT because I have absolutely no idea how to organise it for a Koolie who lives in the ACT. Can anyone give me any advice please?

Jack and I had a great session with Charlie Cover at Yass yesterday. It was for beginners, with no pressure whatsoever, and was great (as ever) to see some brand new dogs switch on to sheep :cry:

There was a 6yo kelpie bitch who just wouldn't switch off after that! :D

Jack was noisy in his first run, just in the round ring, but working OK. The second time around, Charlie asked me to bear with him, and he suggested that every time Jack barked for no reason (as opposed to barking while working) I should take him out of the round pen.

Well, the first time, we didn't even make it in! :swear: Jack barked straight away, we calmly walked away from the pen, then stood until calm and went back in. On round 2, Jack started barking once in the pen, before release. So out we went again. This went on another couple of times, but Jack eventually did get the message and worked the sheep much more calmly after that. Still using his voice, but only when justified and not as an "up yours" to me. :eek::rofl:

I was also apparently honoured to have the family guard-dog, a male chihuahua, not only approach me but try to get up on my lap. :rolleyes: This particular dog, I'm told, takes at least a year and up to two years to accept a newcomer to the property but he must have decided I was all right. Charlie and his wife were both gobsmacked and decided I must be a nice person :eek::swear:

We had a great day. Jack stinks from his swim in the dam, and he seemed to sleep all afternoon yesterday. But we'll keep going back for more :eek:

Pardon :) Panda has had his mind on other things this last week, and so have his sister and niece, nothing like two bitches in season together. ;) .

Our instructors are s pretty confident however that they needed no more work this week. Hope they are right :banghead:

Keep an eye out for the sheltie mob on www.petographer.com.au next week

Our herding training is very sporadic - get to a clinic about once every 2 yrs.

I went in June or something and vowed then to enter an upcoming trial.

Must get off my butt soon as my dog is 12 ys, going on 13! Still runs around like a mad thing but the clock is ticking!! ;)

Go Elly!

post-2908-1157623189_thumb.jpg

:) Mooper, they all passed their H.I.C., see also under W.D.C.Q. Herding Trials post.

LOL, three went through yesterday in under 2 mins, but Jemma took over 6 before she switched on. Had some really good comments about Panda :D , can you tell we're chuffed?.

Think with the rain around today the judge was keen to get it over and done with 3 came in under 1 minute and Jemma just over the minute.

Now the harder work starts :thumbsup: