Desexing.......

Mum 2 Bailey n Chelsea

My boy Elverton went in about two weeks ago now and has recovered very nicely.

I reckon Elverton should be nominated for an Oscar! With all his yelping and carrying on, he fooled the vets into thinking he was in pain to the point where they wanted to keep him for another night. When I went to pick him up, he put on a nice little show for me too but as soon as we got home he was a normal as can be.

Your little girl will be fine. Lots of love and cuddling and she'll forget what happened in no time at all

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Stevie was fine, we dropped her off the night before and she almost gnawed her way through a wall at the vet surgery which they swear they'd never seen even scratched before, but when we picked her up the next afternoon she was a little bit sleepy but otherwise no problems. She didn't even seem worried by her stitches, she ignored the whole thing, but seemed happy to go back and visit the vet to get the stitches out, he loved her and called her his 'blessed one'! Yay Amon at Narwee!

Only thing is I wish we'd known about some of the other things that could have been looked at while she was under the anaesthetic, such as hip x-rays and dewclaw removal. Will just keep our fingers crossed and on the alert about hip/elbow problems, and if there are any other reasons for anaesthetic then we'll talk potential dewclaw removal then.

Otto was desexed yesterday, he is 5 months

He came home alittle wobbly and got a good licking from Jewel (my Shar Pei girl) who is his mother hen and had been crying for him all day

He curled up in front of the heater for an hour, ate dinner and then started to play zoomies and wanted to go for a walk at 7.00. You would not know he got desexed that day

The younger and healthier they are when they get desexed the easier, and faster they recover. Females are normally more sore than the males, obviously different operation

She will be fine

my little guy was done about 4 weeks ago. He came home a bit quite. Then the next day he was back to his normal self. He had to get one of those cone things to go around his head because he kept licking his stitch. He hated that. He looked very funny

We had our 5 month desexed about 3 weeks ago. He was in quite a bit of pain for about a week. Took him to the vet the day after he had the operation and they took the top layer of stiches out because they were too tight. Didn't relieve the pain though, he wouldn't walk. He's stand up, cry, then fall down. As the week went on, he would try to run then fall over and cry. He wouldn't even goto the toiler often. When he did it was pretty bad, he'd just explode doing both at the same time then lie down and cry.

At one stage, he'd stand up and run but then stop and lick his wound. Hekept doing that over and over and each time he did it he squeeled... high pitch screams. He didn't stop until I jumped on him to calm him down, after that he was shaking like mad for a few minutes. The worst part was, I was home that entire week and had to see him go through it all. He has recovered fine but we were really worried. I think he worked himself up too much, he started beathing like humans do when they panic. The vets basically told us he was a bit of a sook and it was more in his mind than because of the pain. I think they were talking a whole lot of BS. Yes he is a sooky dog, but not the type that sits on his ass for a week... which is what he did.

I've probably got you all worried but I thought I'd post because if it happens to your dog just keep in mind he'll be fine in time. Some dogs take longer to recover and some can't take pain as well as others hehe. Most dogs I know were running around the next day.

Devo just got his stitches out yesterday. He was fine.. The only way you could tell he had been in to the vets was the giant bucket on his head!

HE was fine as soon as he woke up. I had the added extra on IV fluids in the opp as well.

Good Luck

my golden retriever, Tilly, was desexed yesterday. She went in the morning, and I picked her up in the afternoon. She was quite sleepy and sorry for herself last night, she threw up quite badly too for a little while. probably just getting rid of the anaestitic (sp?)

this morning, back to her normal can't sit still for a minute self and running around wildly with my other dog - I'm trying to keep her quiet as per the vet notes!!!!! I did take today off work just in case but only enjoyed a day off, no nursing duties :-)

she turned six months old last week.

We had my dad's Chocolate Lab, Milo, desexed and when we picked him up the next day all the nurses were in love with him (he's still that kinda dog) lol...

We walked him out to the car and he was wobbling all over the place, bumping into me and looking at me as if to say "Geez, canya walk in a straight line?!" then crashing into the back of dad's legs... It was cruel to laugh but he was just too damn heavy to carry. He was fine by bed time that night. No vomiting, no licking... No elizabethan collar either.

Pepper goes in next month, I'll tell you all all the horror stories then... If his vaccination/microchipping two weeks ago was anything to go by, they'll pay me not to bring him in again! He screamed something shocking when she jabbed him with the needle... Took him out the back to the "Sound proof booth" for the microchip he was that loud.

I bet he'll be one of those "sit on his butt and cry for a week" ones

f his vaccination/microchipping two weeks ago was anything to go by, they'll pay me not to bring him in again! He screamed something shocking when she jabbed him with the needle... Took him out the back to the "Sound proof booth" for the microchip he was that loud.

Now I am glad I have decided to get Bailey's microchipping done while he is under getting desexed!!!

My Boy got done aout 2 months ago

He came leaping out of the vets surgery :rofl: he was so happy to see me, it didnt even seem like he had anything done at first but over the next few days he was sleepy and spent most of his time inside only going out to go to the toilet (it was pouring down the first week and i had to keep him dry) normaly he likes to bbe outside but after his little op he was sleepy and sooky until we went back to the vets for the 3 day check up

but he is fine none he worse for it :rofl:

I took Tilly back yesterday to get her stitches out, I'm sure they told me to bring her back in 10 days time to get her stitches out, BUT she has no stitches only internal ones - I felt such an idiot but the vet said they tell people to bring them in 10 days time to make sure the wound is healing. It must have been dry blood that I thought was stitches and which I thought she may have pulled a couple out!

She was only really sore for one night then back to normal high energy Tilly speed!

I've had to look after a 'freshly' desexed girl...

poor little thing was doey as all get out when I got her home...

after a few hours she got back to normal - but put on the biggest sook show...limping around...whining...lookin at me as if to say "this is all just too painful aunty kb!"

I took her back to the vet just to make sure, and she said "no, it's okay - she's just being a wuss."

I left her sleep for a few more hours...woke up and was like a ping pong ball! I had to keep confining her so she wouldn't rip her stiches out.

Nothing like a nap to forget about the big act :) lol