Sashas Mum

Kelpies

4,636 posts in this topic

Weasels   

Haha they weren't far away! Probably standing behind me trying to get me to throw a ball instead of taking photos :p

Any news on Jerry's skin biopsy results yet?

Fox has healed up nicely, thank you :) She had her stitches out on Friday and got to go to herding Saturday, which made her quite happy :D

Edited by Weasels

Nope no results yet, I was told they would be back sometime this week. We will find out for certain when we go back on the 24th to get his stitches removed.

We would kill for a flat surface backyard, then maybe we could practice a little more agility stuff :p.

I'm glad Fox is feeling better!

Your playground looks great. Did you make all the equipment yourself? I've been meaning to start making stuff for Reggie, I've got a book from Cleanrun on how to make pretty much any agility equipment..... Only problem is my woodwork/ building/ making skills are severely lacking! Sigh......

mirawee   

I really need to set my back yard up... but I need to put top soil in so the ground isn't quite so hard, level it and get grass to grow so it isn't that high on my list at the moment :rofl:

Well Miss Jive suprised me yesterday earning 4th place in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes out of 31 entries (not sure how many scratching but there were lots of pups there) :thumbsup: And then was looked at by our judge for Baby in Group for ages until Jive decided she didn't want to stand still anymore and so broke her stand and then didn't want to fix it quickly :rofl: So at that stage she was the bestest Baby Kelpie in the world :D

Then she decided to rip the last few pages out of a book and chew the corners(luckily not eating any of the text...) so she lost that title briefly :rofl:

I do love the little munchkin though :D

Weasels   

I'm glad Fox is feeling better!

Your playground looks great. Did you make all the equipment yourself? I've been meaning to start making stuff for Reggie, I've got a book from Cleanrun on how to make pretty much any agility equipment..... Only problem is my woodwork/ building/ making skills are severely lacking! Sigh......

Why thank you :) :curtsey: I bought the A-frame from a DOLer who was moving house, the rest is just poly pipe, connectors, plus some spike/pipe connectors to stick in the ground that I bought from Clean Run. The jumps are all a fixed height because I was too cheap to buy adjustable cups for them :p The pause table is a very temporary solution at the moment, I might stop at a hardware store on the way home to find some better materials and another chain to reinforce the A-frame some more.

Well Miss Jive suprised me yesterday earning 4th place in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes out of 31 entries (not sure how many scratching but there were lots of pups there) :thumbsup: And then was looked at by our judge for Baby in Group for ages until Jive decided she didn't want to stand still anymore and so broke her stand and then didn't want to fix it quickly :rofl: So at that stage she was the bestest Baby Kelpie in the world :D

Then she decided to rip the last few pages out of a book and chew the corners(luckily not eating any of the text...) so she lost that title briefly :rofl:

I do love the little munchkin though :D

Yay Jive! :cheer: Yes they can get away with a lot when they are that cute can't they :p

mirawee   

Horray for Jive :thumbsup:.

Maybe she was trying to tell you something about that book :p.

That I wasn't paying enough attention to her?? The funny thing is it is the first paper book I have read since I got her - and she doesn't chew the e-reader :p

Jive is a lot more energetic tonight :laugh: For the last 4 weeks we have had a 9 month old Lappy staying with us while she has been in season and Jive and Anikka spent all day playing so both were tired by the time we came home from work :p Today Jive was alone with my parents' older dogs (their yard is safer to leave her in unsupervised while we are at work...) and she is brimming with energy :p I had a couple of good training sessions with her though :D One using a tug toy and then for her dinner before having another long play :)

Got our results back earlier then I expect :thumbsup:. There was a lot of big words being thrown out at us :p, our report says chronic hyperplastic ulcerative dermatitis with folliculitis and furunculosis. Chronic hyperplastic and parakeratotic dermatitis with spongiosis :eek:. Never seen so many big words in my life in the one sentence :p. We will get to find out a lot more once we go back on our next visit to get his stitches removed :).

:eek: ....... Omg! And in English? :laugh:

I find big words always make things scarier/ more serious. Fingers crossed for Jerry! Guess we have to wait to find out what it is when someone can translate!

Apparently it's not as bad as it sounds there :laugh:. We didn't get a huge amount of info from the vet because it wasn't our regular vet since we were only meant to be there for a post op check up. But something I made out were, it was possibly genetic, and the lab was results were almost 99% certain it's an allergy of some kind and not an auto immune disease. Hopefully we get a fairly easy to treat allergy because some of the costs I heard for certain allergies made me cringe :eek:.

I'm no vet, but it sounds like it's a skin reaction (dermatitis) which is being irritated, possibly by scratching (ulcerative), causing swelling from a build up of extra cells (hyperplastic) and boils (furunculosis), which is damaging the hair around it (folliculitis) and it has been going on for a while (chronic).

Parakeratosis and spongiosis are seen in psoriasis and eczema. It's the silvery flakey skin stuff.

Those big words always sound hugely dramatic, but once you get an understanding of what they relate to, they don't seem so bad. The only problem I guess is how to deal with it...but I'm sure your vet is already on to that.

I've heard that diet can have a huge impact on allergies and immune system problems.

I hope your vet is able to figure it out for you. It's never fun watching animals with skin problems.

That seems to sound a bit like what I took from our post op check up :thumbsup:. We are currently on he Hills Z/D Ultra, once we finish the bag we will probably change to something else as it doesn't appear to be helping and we've been on it around 2-3 months now. Someone recommended we try Eukanuba FP(?) if the Science Diet isn't working so we might look into that one.

I've been reading about raw diets a fair bit lately and there seems to be some weight in that argument.

Most of the people I've been reading have said that if you are using dry food or canned food, make sure it is made and proccessed in Australia as we are more strict on what goes into pet food. Also, I've heard that "pet grade" raw meat may contain more chemicals than regular butcher meat.

I wish Jerry was that brave lol.

Weez certainly wasn't :laugh: He had his scaredy-pants on just from being in the vet waiting room so I had to put him in the car until the real patient got seen to :grimace:

My mum's dog - not a kelpie admittedly - he's SUPPOSED to be a big, brave white german shepherd LOL - has to be dragged in to the vet's... literally. He plants all 4 legs and mannnnnn, he is extraordinarily difficult to get inside the building. It does not matter which vet either - the bugga KNOWS! Must be a smell about their places.

My sons ACD x Kelpie does exactly the same thing - and they have NEVER gone together either. It's almost like she has given him instructions on what to do to try and get out of going in! :laugh:

tessa403   

Just watched a show with 300 sheep being herded and as they were making a hell of a racket my tin dog had his ears up and he was ready to go get em sorted, the poor puppy needs a run on a farm.

Weasels   

My sons ACD x Kelpie does exactly the same thing - and they have NEVER gone together either. It's almost like she has given him instructions on what to do to try and get out of going in! :laugh:

:laugh: I had an ACD x kelpie as a kid, she did exactly the same thing! Ever since we took her to get desexed, she decided it was a Bad Place.

Just watched a show with 300 sheep being herded and as they were making a hell of a racket my tin dog had his ears up and he was ready to go get em sorted, the poor puppy needs a run on a farm.

:rofl: Poor puppy! Being teased with those fake sheep :p

My two had almost the perfect kelpie day today - got to sniff around in a paddock and chase a ball all morning while we did some fencing, then a swim in a dam followed by a bit of sheep herding, then home for some almost-off raw steak for dinner and they're now both snuggled on the couch, one of them on top of my legs :) Plus they get more sheep tomorrow! Such lucky puppies.

Well Reggie and I went to the local Million Paws Walk today. We had a good time, but his heeling went out the window! :laugh: :o

I have also found out that He is such a showoff! There were quite a few cameras around, and my god does he play up to them! "Oh you're taking my photo?..... well this is my best side, and this one, what about this one?" The camera would click and he'd pull a new pose! :rofl: He can be such a tart!

We also claimed 'best trick' in the after walk competitions.