Sashas Mum

Kelpies

4,636 posts in this topic

I haven't posted for a while (moving to Castlemaine has taken up a lot of time), but I just heard from Mary at Noonbarra and I'll be getting my pup in mid August! I can't wait!!

Congrats! Ive met Mary and Steven, they seem like nice people. The dogs of theirs that ive met seem lovely too.

Do you know what your getting yet? Male/ female, colour? What do you plans with the pup?

I've asked for a bitch and they are all red/tan. As far as plans for the dog, she's going to be a companion dog but I'll give her a run with sheep here and there and I want to do some search and rescue stuff too. Basically I figure that if I'm going to have to keep her mentally stimulated, I might as well teach her things that will be useful.

Kelpie people - do any of you have any Koolie experience? :) Our first foster dog arrives on Friday and he's an 18 month old Koolie cross. Energetic and what you'd expect from the type of dog, I guess :) I don't want to ask in the other threads because I don't put much stock in anyone who says that Koolies are "Kelpies with an Off Switch" given that if my two Kelpies had off switches that were any larger - they'd be dead :p

Any differences that I should be aware of in terms of training and handling? I'm hoping to teach it household manners, basic obedience and some very basic tricks.

Jumabaar   

Kelpie people - do any of you have any Koolie experience? :) Our first foster dog arrives on Friday and he's an 18 month old Koolie cross. Energetic and what you'd expect from the type of dog, I guess :) I don't want to ask in the other threads because I don't put much stock in anyone who says that Koolies are "Kelpies with an Off Switch" given that if my two Kelpies had off switches that were any larger - they'd be dead :p

Any differences that I should be aware of in terms of training and handling? I'm hoping to teach it household manners, basic obedience and some very basic tricks.

Based on the ones I have met you will be fine! Similar thought patterns to that of Kelpies IMO unlike BC's that seem to talk a different language lol. I can't comment on energy level or off switches- The ones I have met have ranged a lot in craziness but not in a bad way!!

Good luck!!

I've had a fair bit to do with coolies and they seem slightly more energetic but calmer in disposition than the kelpies. That's with people, however with cows they're INSANE! You'll be hard pressed to find a kelpie that will hang off a cow like a Coolie. But that's just the working strain I know.

In other news I took maybe out to work the sheep today and she's backing like a pro and going through! A bit too much bite but we're working on that. Pictures next week!

Simply from a herding point of view, I find the koolies to be a bit softer than kelpies - get hurt feelings more easily and are a bit less tolerant of pressure i.e. switch off more easily. Otherwise, not really a lot different!

I have heard the opposite of you, that they are kelpies on speed. Haven't seen any that fit that description yet though.

Visit any farmer, they'll have coolies on cows rather than kelpies, especially rough cattle they tend to hold on, where as kelpies will bite and let go. Haven't worked with the sheep herding strain. Have met a few agility coolies, they were lovely but HIGH energy.

Thanks all. We asked for Kelpies and Kelpie crosses but given that we had a few pre-requisites for any foster dog (must be fully vaccinated, can't be straight from the pound, must have been tested with other dogs), this dog was the most suitable despite not being a Kelpie. The reason we asked for Kelpies or variants was that we feel we have a better understanding of how to motivate/train a Kelpie but I'm pretty keen and happy to try with a Koolie if they're not toooooo far off a Kelpie. Crazy high energy doesn't bother us - but smartness, trainability and an eagerness to please would be great. Will keep you posted :) I'm nervous but pretty excited about finally fostering - it's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

Coolies are like a mix between kelpies, BCs and a tiny bit of Cattle dog. They have a high trainability though

The difference in Maybe is amazing!

From about 6 weeks ago to today. Physically she's slightly more robust and her coat is wonderful but mentally she's come leaps and bounds. She was wound so tight when I got her that the slightest growl would set her off into attack mode on any dog nearby. She couldn't stop whiny and moving, she had no idea how to play with another dog and thought all dog noises were aggressive, she now fetches and plays for hours with the others. When I first got her she tried to attack my cat, now they sleep together. I couldn't walk her without being pulled down the road and now she walks happily beside me and isn't reactive to other dogs at all. All she needed was love and training. Now she's just a soft lump of sweetness.

Her before pics. Taken in the pound.

Dolly.jpg

Dolly2.jpg

And these were taken this afternoon

cute.jpg

cuteness.jpg

I'm so happy for her!

Rainy   

Hay kelpie peoples, can anyone recomend a rescue for kelpie's in nsw?

A person i know has be put in a hard situation and they have to move and for the sake of the dog they have decided a good working home or ajility home would be better for her then being moved into a suberb yard.

Any ideas would be a great help

Rainy   

Unregisted 12mth old currently works on a dairy, she is a great little worker from what i have seen