Sashas Mum

Kelpies

4,636 posts in this topic

Jumabaar   

Hello everyone,

I have a 17 week old Black Kelpie named Nya, she is registered on the main registrar but has a little white patch on her gorgeous chest..... Is this a fault that would mean there would be no point to showing her? I was only interested in showing her for a bit of fun as we are working on obedience and looking to do agility down the track.

There are quite a few dogs currently being shown (and getting Best in specialty shows and Best of Breeds at royals) that have white on their chest. (White on the toes isnt seen in ANKC Kelpies to the best of my knowledge) It isnt desirable but the temperament, conformation and even the coat texture is more important than colour which is one of the last things to care about. A dog with a white mark on the chest also got 'best coated' at our specialty show :)

I would say get out and have a crack at it. Its a great experience for you, and I have found it makes my dogs pretty bomb proof for obedience and agility because they are used to having lots of distractions etc.

Where is she from? Very cute!! Keep the pictures coming :thumbsup:

wyldrose   

I do hope the sick doggies get better quick - my Max had a version of KC once - he hadn't even been anywhere strange - but it was no fun for a few days. He got some really good cough mixture which I realized was the same as I've had from the chemist at about 1/4 the price. It worked well tho at the end part when the cough was just going on & on.

Beautiful piccies of all the gorgeous pups, good luck with Nya, she's really pretty!

Well the 2 boys I have left from the litter of 5 had all their vetwork done today - desex, chip & vacc (we keep them in isolation & have it all done at once by a paediatric surgeon) - I thought I'd show how little it affects them - I got the puppy pen all snuggly ready for them to come home & rest after their feed ... but hmmm, anaesthetic & surgery? Not us! We don't need a nice neat snuggly pen!

10wksdayofvetwork-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

10wksdayofvetwork2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Awwww...all those beautiful pups!! It's only two days until we pick up Elsie now. Good luck with beating the KC!! It doesn't sound like it's a lot of fun.

Gorgeous middle pic!! She's a beauty! But how did she change colour at the bottom? :confused:

:laugh: Im not sure!! It was taken 2 years ago probably by a dodgy camera on my phone!

I noticed it to AFTER I posted them! :doh:

Wow Elly had some ears!!! :)

Nya is so adorable!

Here is Wonka relaxing just a few mins ago. He has kennel cough poor boy

:thumbsup: Thanks! She still looks like that now but both ears up! :laugh:

Wonka is gorgeous! I remember when Elly got kennel cough it was horrible seeing them "hack" :(

I remember staying up all night with her when she had it.. It isnt nice!! Luckily it does go away!:thumbsup:

I hope Wonka feels better soon!:)

Edited by Ashlee-22

Thanks Chequeredblackdog and Jumabaar for your help and everyone else for your lovely comments.... I am absolutely in love with her, she is a real little smarty pants. Elsie looks like a little gem, sooo very cute!!! I hope every ones beautiful babies are feeling better soon, it is not fun feeling so helpless. I lost my best friend Trix to diabetes a few months before I bought Nya, it was a long haul of about 11 months of ups and downs, mainly ups though, she was such a little trooper!! Trix was Kelpie x Blue healer so I have never even thought of going to a dog show til Nya. She is from Ballare Kennels, I'll try attach a photos from our walk today and some cute ones from when she was 8 or 9 weeks and put herself in her toy box!

post-45288-0-77972300-1344504209_thumb.jpg

post-45288-0-60680300-1344504237_thumb.jpg

post-45288-0-02736100-1344505129_thumb.jpg

post-45288-0-93452900-1344505536_thumb.jpgOops, here she is today... Its nice to have a forum where everyone loves their furry friends as much as I do :)

Jumabaar   

Thanks Chequeredblackdog and Jumabaar for your help and everyone else for your lovely comments.... I am absolutely in love with her, she is a real little smarty pants. Elsie looks like a little gem, sooo very cute!!! I hope every ones beautiful babies are feeling better soon, it is not fun feeling so helpless. I lost my best friend Trix to diabetes a few months before I bought Nya, it was a long haul of about 11 months of ups and downs, mainly ups though, she was such a little trooper!! Trix was Kelpie x Blue healer so I have never even thought of going to a dog show til Nya. She is from Ballare Kennels, I'll try attach a photos from our walk today and some cute ones from when she was 8 or 9 weeks and put herself in her toy box!

LOL mine all wanted to sleep in clothes baskets as pups- dirty or clean clothes optional lol.

I saw from the AWDRI FB that Wonka has found his forever home already! Wow that was fast! Ollie still doesn't even have a petrescue listing so I get to have him for a little bit longer :laugh:

bianca.a   

LOL well I have spoken to the lady twice and a home check has been done but I think they have to confirm flights etc! I wish I was in the market for an Ollie! :)

Wonka and Cooper are worse today...snot for africa.

German Shepherds make the best pillows! (if it's not her head, he uses her fluffy butt)

post-36665-0-12528900-1344760483_thumb.jpg

I think I've found an Ollie look-a-like!

Ollie twin?

Haha, too funny :)

Ollie and Elbie - they share a love of liver treats

ollie50.jpg

Ollie, pooped on by a bird

poop.jpg

He is having a meet and greet with a potential family on Saturday. They sound wonderful and if he can get along with the family's existing dog (9 year old ACD female), then the home would be perfect ... I'm all happy and sad at once because I have become so attached to him.

bianca.a   

Getting pooped on by a bird is meant to be good luck so everything crossed for sweet Ollie on Sat :thumbsup:

tessa403   

Our Tindog is on a diet and he isn't happy.

I had two dogs for ever my Mums Foxy/Jack Russell cross and Tin and while we had Mum's dog what she didn't eat Tin would polish off. Last week we had to have Mums dog Little Maggie put to sleep as she had stopped eating and on the last day couldn't even stand, I'd been feeding her by hand with a syringe of blended food that I had blended into a liquid. So after 17 years she's gone to doggy heaven and now this weekend I'll see when I bring mum home for her nursing home if mum even asks about her. Mum has dementia so hopefully it'll be easy on her.

Back to our Kelpie, although I get him out daily with a ball in the park with all the extra food he's been eating he has stacked the weight on. So now he is just getting his food rather than his and half of Maggies, also as Maggie was spoilt rotten by mum and dad I couldn't not spoil him as well when I got her it just didn't seem fair. But now Maggie is gone I can treat him as a Dog again and he'll be getting more walks around his burb too.

I might even lose some kilo's too LoL. :thumbsup:

This is the last photo of Maggie and Tin together when on a nice day I got them both outside together.

392218_4439276942685_905812582_n.jpg

Here's Maggie on Mum's knee two years ago with Tin snuggling in as well.

38242_1549776706985_8360128_n.jpg

Edited by tessa403

Hello again everyone…… I have placed Nya into her first conformation show in mid September competing in Minor Puppy class. It should be a good experience for her and me too. I am feeling very nervous though as I have never done anything like this before and I don’t know what to expect.

post-45288-0-51009400-1345366633_thumb.jpgDoes anyone have any advice for a novice about showing?

What sort of things should I be practicing in the next month before the show?

What sort of collar should I use, I read that I will need a skinny show lead, but I’m not sure how she will go on a slip collar as she still pulls quite a bit. (That is number one thing we have/will be practicing is walking as she is always in such a rush to get everywhere!)

Can you use treats in the ring to encourage good behaviour or is it praise only?

When they are looking at your dog do they reach in and touch them, and check their teeth or do you lift their gums for the teeth inspection? I know I’m going to look like the biggest dimwit. I really have no idea what I have gotten myself in for! ANY advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated…..