How To Stop My Pup From Jumping On Everyone?

ls_l

Ok, lets get a few things straight here, I have tried few things already mentionned below, such as ignoring her when she jumps, going back inside when she won't settle down, getting her to sit and pat her, saying NO with a firm voice the give her the command DOWN! All this things so far hasn't work.

hanks again for all your advises:)

Edited by ls_l

Train her that she doesn't get greeted or patted unless she's sitting.

While you teach that, put her on lead so you can keep her off people when they arrive.

Sounds like obedience training would be a good idea - I think its a must for all breeds but especially larger breeds. If you want her to walk nicely on a loose lead, now is also the time to be insisting on that.

Rehoming merely passes on problems, it doesn't solve them.

I was just about to ask the same thing!!! My puppy is not big, but whenever someone new comes to the house, she want to jump up to say hello. I am not sure how to stop her doing this, so anymore tips would be gratefully received. She is now 13 wks old and I know it is crucial to start off as you mean to go on.

A little bit more information would be good.

E.g. how old is pup, any obedience training etc, what form of correction are you using, the more info the better idea for people to be able to respond with more information to help you.

The best way to make a pup learn that jumping up is unacceptable is to ignore them, turn your back each time they do this and when they settle then give them a pat, they will learn very quickly that they only receive attention when being quiet. Another alternative is to have a lead on them and correct them when they start to jump up.

Obedience training is necessary for all pups and this will in turn help out with many issues you may come across, rehoming just simply for that reason alone is a bit lame, not meaning to sound nasty but having a pup is a big responsiblity and you must put the time in with them.

Good Luck.

that was my suggestion. It's easier said than done but perseverence. As you are aware you can't have a big dog jumping up on people.

My goldens are always made to sit before they are patted by anyone especially children. The oldest automatically now just sits if he sees children because he knows he will then get a pat even if it is only by mum. The youngest one is proving more of a problem but she will get there. One thing I have never let the dogs jump on me so they learn.

After Tilly finished puppy school she got a bag with treats and one of the things was what I owuld call a house lead which is a lead with collar in one. It's easy to keep by the front door and easy to slip over her head so I have some control over her when people come to the front door. Also obedience school is a good idea, we have just started so hope that it will settle Tilly down.

My 3mths has started putting her paws on me, I am sure this will lead to jumping in future. Thus I took her paws and gently push her away from me. Then made her Sit. I ALWAYS made her sit, no matter what she want from me, cuddle, attention, get outside, food etc. Hopefully that is the good begining.

What you can do is keep training him to sit for everything, then when there's guest, crate/confine him first until he calms down. Then put him on lead and go say hello to guests. Made him sit to greet, otherwise confine him again, no attention.

She is 3 months old, and I really don't want to rehome her, just starting to be desperate as what to do. My older one is not like that. I have no crate to confine her. How do you correct them? When she jump I keep saying NO! and SIT!, but she seems a bit like she is ignoring my commands, and she knows them. I'll try a few things, I know patience is a good thing, I just hope to be able to get her back on track, and fast, I don't want my kids to be knocked over, or else.

Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. :happydance2:

faster way I am using now, use her food bowl. Before you feed her, hold bowl in hand, insist she sits. She doesn't? You walk/turn away. Then try again. First time she sits, praise her, give food.

Next meal made her sit three seconds, then give food. Increase the seconds gradually. My pup sits minimum 10seconds before allowing food. If you have patience, when you put down the bowl, put your hand ON the side of bowl, once she's done, take away. This is a dominant act over her. Control her by her food, she cannot refuse this one. From then on keep asking her to sit for everything, let her earn it.

Edited by flycow

Guest Pandii

I have trained my large dogs not to jump on us or the kids unless invited

I pressume your pup knows sit- if not train this first

as pups they were never allowed to jump or put paws up. If you see them appraoch and they are likey to jump be ready to take a step back so they land back on the ground.

If you miss this oppertunity and they succend in jumping uptake a step back, a firm no then turn your back, ignor them until they have settled, then call them to a sit and reward, if they start to jump when you call them back, repeat excersise

It is very important that every one does this-my 5 yo knows when 12 week old rotti go to jump that a quick no then ignore.

When you have visitors it is probally easier to keep your pup seperated until you have this undercontrol.But having your pup on a lead so you can correct her if she starts to jump, it also pays to inform all your visitor that pup is not allowed to jump up at all anytime.

When my dogs are rock hard on this then I teach up, at about 12 months.

This is trainable make sure you are consistant and so is everyone who has contact with the dogs, If you encourage your kids to feed, and help train the pup it will have respect for them and this will help it to listen when they give a command. I have 5yo giving commands to a 40 kilo rott and they listen, might funny to watch others reactions when the child has heaps of control over suncha large dog

Hope this helps

Thats a rather defeatist attitude for a BABY. It doesnt understand! Why dont you lock the dog in another room. Then when everyone is settled, bring her out on a lead if she walks quietly and let her sniff people (no pats yet) then put her away again.

If she jumps on you, put a knee up and dont look at her. Trained my Malinois in no time, jump up - crash, jump up - crash. The pup will soon realise that all this jumping achieves nothing but falling over and wow if I sit down I get a pat and even a treat.

Trick is, as little noise and attention. Praise the good behaviour, SHOW HER the good behaviour. Yeah she probably knows sit but in a quiet situation. You yell at the poor thing and she's deaf to you because she's excited, give her some slack. Things take time and YOU are the one that is responsible for your dogs behaviour. Sorry but 99% of puppies will jump, bite, chew, destroy, whine, howl, bark, mess and sook. You are the one that is responsible for shaping and limiting what the dog can and cant do.

ditto what everyone else has said. With Bailey if he jumps up I don't give him any attention but then when he sits I give him praise and pop him on my lap (which is what he wants) He has learnt if he wants my attention he needs to sit at my feet.

By the way you pup is so young, I can't believe you would think of rehomeing it because it jumps up. Of all the problems you could have this seems rather mild and easily correctable with a little of your time and some training. Its not very fair to the dog to be thinking of turfing him out because of something which is natural puppy behavour. What did you think you would get when you got a puppy?

i agree with vanessa...this is a puppy we are talking about...everytime it does something wrong you cant decide to get rid of it, dogs are for life!!!its just like saying my three year old keeps drawing on the walls gee i might have to rehome them!?!?!?!sorry to be so blunt but its just a matter of learning to deal with the good and the bad...in the end the good will most definately out weight the bad its just a matter of training really and its not as hard as people think, every inter action you have with your puppy is a learning experience for them, you just have to know the right way to approch training and i think that everyone has given you great advise so good luck!!!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

With my pup I do jumping training. I stand at a glass door and ask him to sit. If he sits, I open the door a little, if he moves, I go back and start again. Once I can get out the door I get him to sit until I am next to him and have given him a treat. Any time he jumps I block (like neckbets procedure) turn around and go back inside.

I have done this with both dogs every time I go outside and it works a treat. You have to put in good, consistent work to get a well behaved dogs :happydance2: .

I also ask him to sit at any time when he looks likely to jump. Also it is important to use the sit word once and then wait for them to do it. Sometimes bruno takes 10 seconds to respond but he has to know that every time you say sit you mean it.

My dogs are as big as yours so can knock people over easily. Have fun :D

Sadly this is the common attitude with dog owners it jumps up lets get rid off it,it is a dog dogs jump but unless people put in time & effort the dog doesnt simply learn whats expected.

If its too much hassle it is better for the dog to be rehomed & not because the kids may get attached because the dog deserves a home where it will be wanted for life not a part time yes you can stay /no you must go.If your frustrated what about the dog is feels your frustration without leadership very hard for a pup to figure out whats expected.

I get the impression the other dog is suppose to be doing the training & you had the idea all would be easy??I dare say each of your children have different needs,level of learning etc & the dog is no different.

It is only 12 weeks & if its had no training or no effort put in then it isnt the dogs fault there training/learning is only as good as what the owners put in

We've been through this recently with a large, 12 month old "shelter" pup. Asking her to sit, and turning your back on her and ignoring her didn't work - she just kept jumping & mouthing. What we found did work was a few squirts of a well-aimed water pistol and a firm "no".

If its a larger type of dog try lifting your knee - if you do it at the right time they will bounce off & get a surprise. Either that or the water spray. If its a small dog try the ignoring. Unfortunately the ignoring doesnt always work - puppies rarely just jump once & if you turn your back on them, unless you are up against a wall they will just follow you around & you end up spinning in circles with a jumpy puppy having a great game :p .