How To Stop My Pup From Jumping On Everyone?

ls_l

Quote: You were given plenty of helpful advice and then threw a hissy fit and deleted your original post. It doesn't always happen that people will tell you what you want to hear if it is not in the best interests of the puppy.

Hissy fit?? LOL I didn't know that when family duties calls me that people sees that as a hissy fit, good one :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that the knee thing would have been 'classified' as dog abuse, so I haven't employed the method yet, might be worth a try.

Edited by ls_l

Should specify that my pup don't just jump on us, she actually jump for quite a while, so much that soometimes we think that we have a kangoroo and not a dog in the yard :p

Edited by ls_l

It is a lot of work to raise a puppy with children to care for.

The only answer is to dedicate yourself to fixing the problem/s, be firm with the children in following the same rules and co-operating with the training of the pup.

Seperate the children from the puppy unless under adult supervision and control.

The hard work pays off with a lovely, well behaved dog you can all enjoy.

Quote: What's family duties have to do with deleting a post you had already made earlier on?

Because I had started doing an edit ast the wrong time so came back later to do it properly.

Edited by ls_l

ls_l I can see you are upset by some of the responses, but from the other point of view some people find it upsetting when people talk about rehoming their puppy due to an inability to solve a common and normal puppy problem.

Your pup is probably jumping up to say "hello" to lick your face ? That is what puppies do to greet the higher pack members.

It is up to US to teach them that it is not acceptable in OUR pack.

I don't know how old your pup but it might take a little while to undo the habit, it will take a lot of consistency, patience and diligence.

Did the breeder give you any advice about this when you bought the pup ? Have you contacted the breeder to see what works for them ?

Breeders are a great help because they know the pups, they have raised them and have a good knowledge of the temperement of the parent/s too so are invaluable for helping find out what might work for your pup.

Thanks for your reply sunny - yes I'm a bit upset -"Some" people only seems to read what they want to read, as I said earlier I do not want to rehome her, but they all keep jumping down my throat because of the 'otherwise' comment. Which is why I fully edited my opening post.

Edited by ls_l

:eek: I have had this problem with two of my dogs in the past.

No. 1 I now require my dog to sit before it is touched.

No. 2 If it does not listen to my command I turn my back and walk away and if it comes around me to do the same I gently push it down and say sit before it can jump up and keep my contact low with the dog. This seems to work

No. 3 I never when I come home go straight out to the dogs anyway as this encourages excitement when you return.

No. 4 When taking my older one for a walk If a person greets it I ask them to go low so the dog won't get a chance to jump up. Ie., put their hands out for a pat of the dog.

I have done this with my golden and she always sat. I am having some difficulty getting the more excitable welsh springer puppy to do the same but we are getting some slow success. I guess keep at it. My moggy was fine he sat to start with but is starting to learn from the other one so now I am repeating the process with them both.

:p GOOD LUCK.

Consistency is also key. My training was being undone when the staff turned up in the morning and cuddled her when she jumped on them, so now - new rules - don't go near the dog!

It has helped a lot as I found she was getting very confused. It was becoming dangerous as the next person in the yard was my 4yo daughter, who had trained her to sit but others stuffed it up...

The other invaluable tool is the Triangle of Temptation which is pinned in the training forum. I use this on both my dogs who can now do a lengthy sit-stay. It was posted by K9 Force.

Bruno the pup has been able to do a sit stay from 9 weeks old and that is how I can get him to sit while I exit the door.

Bella, my older dog, has been to training with K9 Force and I use the same stuff on Bruno. Training in Drive, NILIF - Nothing in life is free and the Triangle of Temptation. I have learned so much about dog training from doing this and all these programs establish the trainer as the clear leader. Have search through the training forum and you will find heaps of info.

Have fun :p