Why Do You Guys Say?

kazzakanary

Mitchi is nearly 6 month sold and she has JUST got it. She will now run to the door to let me know she needs to go out. She is crate trained and does not go in her crate at all.

Make a pen outside for her.

We used to take her out every 30 minutes and reward a wee or poo.

We then started to extend it 15 minutes every few days. I still take her and Barker out regulary but i am more likely to err on the side of caution but i know htat they can both hold over night and during the day if the have been out just before hand.

Just keep at it, it may take until she is 6mo but you don;t expect a human baby to be toilet trained over ight sometimes it takes months before it all goes how it should and that is the same with pups.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically...just keep at it - smaller dogs on average do seem to take long to 'get it' then larger breeds - not sure how much of that might be linked to larger pups having bigger bladders etc? :p

*note to self...don't wander off then come back with an answer that has been posted six times in the meantime....refresh first !!!! * :eek:

I have never heard that rubbing their nose in it works basically, toilet training means persistence and I have heard quite a few people say that small dogs are harder than larger, I haven't had a problem with either size, the main thing is to be relaxed and not stress over it, like small babies or kids some learn faster than others and at different rates.

Start from the beginning again and explain to hubby that it is something that requires time and patience, also let him know that if he ever had an accident he surely wouldn't appreciate his nose being rubbed in his piss. :p

She is only 10 weeks old so obvisouly I need to keep doing it for a few more weeks!?

She's only a wee baby so you can't expect her her to 'get it' reliably for several months yet. As you've found, it only takes a couple of days of being lax for her to lose that initial training.

I wouldn't want a wee bub locked outside all day either. Why not look into buying a playpen for her so she can be inside, but she will be suitably confined and not able to make a mess all over the house.

10 weeks old?

What is it with people who think that their PUPPIES should be completly trained at only a few months old?

Kaos is 17 months old and once in a while will still go inside.

Puppies are puppies!!!

You dont expect a5 month old baby to be toilet trained, so why a pup?

I can't believe you think smaller dogs are harder than big dogs to housetrain? I don't think it's got anything to do with size. I have successfully housetrained 30-40 foster dogs within 3 days in the last 4 years. The only 2 exceptions were an old female silky terrier but she obviously got it because she went to a unit and was fine.

The other was a young papillon chi x I had and it took 2 months but she was a cruelty case and I believe had lived in a shed or garage for all her life before I got her.

The quickest dogs have always been male foxy or JRT types, so smart they've often been trained after 2 days.

I have a kindness method which works for me, I rarely get a housetrained dog which says something about the ownership out there - scary.

I haven't got access to it right now but check out my recent postings, I've repeated it several times or PM me.

Whilst people has said that rubbing a pup's nose in their mess doesn't work, perhaps a more detailed explanation of why might help.

Firstly, no pup has good bladder control until about aged 5 months - so we have to keep an eye on them and reward them for letting us know they need to go out and for doing the right thing. At 10 weeks, your pup is an absolute baby.

When pups need to go, they start displaying signs - sniffing, circling etc. If you aren't there to show them what to do, you can't blame them for doing what comes naturally until they understand that outside is the place to do it.

If you find an accident and rub the pup's nose in it, it won't connect what you are doing with it having eliminated in the wrong place. What it will do is connect you handling it with an extremely unpleasant experience (dogs have far more sensitive noses than us) - before long your dog will probably cringe and hide when you get home because it knows what will happen but still not understnand why.

If your CKCS (correct breed name is Cavalier King Charles Spaniel)/poodle cross girl needs to be left inside, then show her WHERE you want her to go (eg. newspaper) and praise her for doing it).

Have you got a dog door - is she using it confidently yet?

I find the best method for dealing with accidents is to grab a rolled up newspaper and hit YOURSELF on the head - for failing to show the dog what is required or not being there to reinforce it. :eek:

It's fine to yell Arrrgggghh or similar if you catch them in the act - then take them outside and praise them for doing the right thing.

Don't let up on the praise - take her out when she wakes, after she eats and after play - and praise her for doing the right thing. She'll learn far faster being rewarded for doing the right thing than being punished for doing the wrong thing. :p

Edited by poodlefan

As noone else has mentioned it I will - there is also the hygiene issue - having urine or feaces stuffed up one's nasal passages is not hygienic and can lead to serious infections etc.

As others have said it's a puppy - it may take weeks or months to be fully confident that your dog won't have an accident in the house - if it is going to irriotate your husbad so much then perhaps an older dog would be a better option and rehome the pup.

Why do you say not to rub their noses in their business to stop the pups pooping and weeing inside??

I am not doing this but my hubby is getting mighty pissed at the amount of mess left when we get home from work!

Indy has got access to outside but is doing her business inside?!!!!

Answer me a question if you will: would you take a babies nappy off and rub its nose in the mess?

K9: puppies need balance just like people do...

Toilet training is about positives & nagatives like anything else.

If you get your pup from a breeder who understands imprinting they will have thbe negative all in place..

Here is how it works..

When breeding I used schredded newspapers, I replace the paper every two hours or anytime I see it has been used, yes even once.

Rasing the puppy in a clean whelping box is almost essential to having a clean adult dog. This is most important in the development periods from new born until 8 weeks.

A new born pup has no sight, little hearing but its nose works just fine, a dirty whelping box teaches the pup that being very close to something that smells like that is normal.

If this is imprinted into the pup you will not have the negative of the smell to work in your favour...

The positive is a verbal & physical reward from the hanlder, should be the Alpha.

The best time to teach your dog an elimination command is starting at 6 weeks.

I start then & my pups are at 8 weeks, able to sleep in crate all nite no accidents.

Negative of accident is being near smelly poop, which they have never done in their whole life

Positive is going where Alpha says is opportunity to earn reward...

I have recenetly worked with a couple that had a dog with no negative feelings about toileting in its own space.

In less than a month they have used a positive only technique I have taught them & reported to me recently zero accidents in house, being left up to 8 hours...

Yelling, correcting, rubbing pups nose etc wont help at all... Probably damage the bond at 10 weeks old...

There is much to be learned on my development page HERE

Edited by K9 Force

Some of you guys are really judgemental and it pisses me!

I am asking for help here and some of you love to flame me down!

My husband loves the dog as much as me so I also don't appreciate the unfair remarks about him!

I am questioning if I want to stay with this site at all!

Thank You to those who have answered constuctively - once again I do appreciate it!

Thanks also K9 - I have saved that link - looks really helpful!

Edited by kazzakanary

My husband loves the dog as much as me so I also don't appreciate the unfair remarks about him!

Unfortunately if you post on a public forum you have to be prepared for all sorts of replies, some you'll like and some you won't. Mentioning such an old fashioned, nasty form of punishment as 'rubbing a pup's nose in it' is bound to bring some pretty ascerbic comments, after all we're all dog lovers on here and the thought of a tiny 10 week old puppy being subjected to that sort of treatment is pretty sickening. Even if you didn't actually do it obviously the thought was there, however briefly :p

Thank You to those who have answered constuctively - once again I do appreciate it!

Thanks also K9 - I have saved that link - looks really helpful!

Just ignore the posts you dont like and ask away. :rolleyes:

We too were terrified our boy would get stolen or escape. We trained him to go in the laundry when we weren't home by making him go occassionally in the laundry whenwe were home. Then he knew it was o.k to go there.

and IF you got your pup from a pet shop you've got a long way to go. while they were lock in the little glass box they learnt that their home is their bed and their toilet.

and remember the tone of posts reflect you more than anything. i didn't see any flaming here (only the deleted post) as i read this thread as a good opertunity to to get these ideas in the one spot for someone with the same question in future.

the tone of post is how you read them and you read them how you feel.

and this is a public forum, you do get nasties out there. 'A grain of salt' i say. but don't be discouraged.

Chrisitie

I had a friend who tried the rubbing nose thing when her little dogs were doing poos all over the house.

It seemed to have worked... or so she thought.

One day she came into the room and caught her female dog gobbling up one of the poos from the floor.

Apparently all she taught the poor doggies was that "Mummy doesn't like us leaving our poos here, so we'd best clean up after we poo". Unfortunately the only way the poor little things could do that, was to eat the poos.