Puppy Urinating When Meeting

ozzieamstaf

Our 12 week old pup Koda has started to piddle a little when we greet him. (not like he means to go do a 'wee')

Like first thing in the morning when I let him and Max out of thier pen and then when he see's my son after school.

Its not alot, no big issue, and I am hoping its because he might be excited.

I forgot to mention it at the vets last night while getting his shots.

None of our other dogs, or dogs i have known have done this..... that i can remember. :laugh:

(it doesnt happen with my OH or daughter)

Edited by ozzieamstaf

Weeing is a submissive action the same as dropping to the ground and rolling over. He is telling you you are the boss. He may be a little scared. How do you greet him?

Things to make him more confident:

- greet him quietly

- get down to his level

- keep your hands still

- don't pick him up

- don't look him straight in the eyes

There are heaps more. If you describe the greeting we could work out more.

Bella did this with one of my friends who looked intimidating from a puppy perspective :laugh:

Um, in the mornings i just go to the pen and open the door and call them. koda comes out, i say hello, fuss and pat him, walk around to the other side of the house where i feed them, put his brekky bowl on the ground, i sit on a chair to make sure max doesnt get kodas brekky, and then i go back inside to get the kids ready for school.

Its while i am getting his brekky bowl ready that he climbs over my feet and i noticed the wee.

I am trying to teach him not to jump up on my legs and i do say a firm 'down' if he jumps up. (but thats usually when i am sitting and after the weeing)

Then when my son (9) comes home he just opens the door and calls Koda and crouches down and lets koda climb over him. This is when I and he noticed koda weeing too.

Then when my son (9) comes home he just opens the door and calls Koda and crouches down and lets koda climb over him. This is when I and he noticed koda weeing too

With your son coming home it sounds like letting coda climb over him is making code wee. If you get your son to say "Hello Coda" then walk around the backyard for a few minutes greeting this should help.

Weeing can be a submission or dominance. It's hard to tell from the brekky bowl what is causing this. Will have to see if someone else can pick this.

Do you think Coda is confident?

Weeing is a submissive action the same as dropping to the ground and rolling over. He is telling you you are the boss. He may be a little scared. How do you greet him?

Not always, excitement urination is not uncommon in young dogs and is generally comething they grow out of as they get older. Either way it is important that you do not punish your pup for this, just remove him from the area and clean it up. If it is excitement, try to avoid the circumstances and getting him too excited at those times.

Not always, excitement urination is not uncommon in young dogs and is generally comething they grow out of as they get older. Either way it is important that you do not punish your pup for this, just remove him from the area and clean it up. If it is excitement, try to avoid the circumstances and getting him too excited at those times.

Yep, excitement and submission is usually the cause, my staffy girl used to do it when she met other dogs in the street, people, my son after school.....she will even do it now when she meets a new playmate in the street (if hes a hot looking doggie :laugh: ) and shes nearly a year old. :eek:

But it is pretty rare these days, after about 6 months old, she didnt do it much at all. :mad

I actually like a pup who does this...it shows that they are sensitive souls.

Excitement and submission are both reasons as Haven explained. I never worry about it as they usually grow out of it.

I sometimes go to a friends kelpie stud and whene I great some of his dogs, who know me well, they let go of a small amount of urine. It is just them "saying hello "boss" glad to see you, I'm no threat just just a friend".

You see wild canids doing it when greeting higher order pack members.

Things to make him more confident:

- greet him quietly

- get down to his level

- keep your hands still

- don't pick him up

- don't look him straight in the eyes

There are heaps more. If you describe the greeting we could work out more.

Bella did this with one of my friends who looked intimidating from a puppy perspective :thumbsup:

Wow thanks for that! My puppy has been doing that alot lately when I get home, I mean he just go nuts! From running around the house like he was a race dog until he stops and wees on the floor. I just thought I didn't take him out enough... but nope now i know whats really going on. XD;