Aldi Dog Food

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if anyone has bought Aldi canned dog food and has an opinion on whether it's crap or is it equivalent to Pal/Bush's/Lucky Dog etc (i realise some people think they are crap too)

I did buy it for quite a while (the medium size cans) and they weren't that bad, I think Pal is worse :o

I feed my dogs Nature's Gift now which costs a bit more of course , but it is loads better as it doesn't have all the additives.

But if you're on a bit of a tight budget ALDI food was quite good really 89c a can :D

Don't know never seen it I don't use can food I like fresh meat, vegies and dry food....I think its more filling and doesn't go through them like tin food does..... Occassionaly I pick up a tin but I only get Pal as alot of the others are just like paste have no meat only cereal in them.

Edited by JoysAngel

I think you get what you pay for with dog food..but then I don't feed any canned food to my lot. If it's cheap then the ingredients must be too, mostly water I suspect.

If I ever did have to feed a can of food I would choose Nature's Gift.

CavNrott what do you feed your dogs instead of canned?

I think you get what you pay for with dog food..but then I don't feed any canned food to my lot. If it's cheap then the ingredients must be too, mostly water I suspect.

If I ever did have to feed a can of food I would choose Nature's Gift.

CavNrott what do you feed your dogs instead of canned?

Some people feed a raw, whole foods diet and others feed a super-premium dry food. Some people feed a combination of these two.

Canned foods in general are over-priced and the ingredients are not very good quality. The average can of dog food contains 70% water, with the next highest percentage ingredient being a combination of cereals and grains which dogs have enormous trouble digesting (hence loose bowel motions on canned foods). Can I suggest if you are feeding canned foods that you investigate a higher quality dry food option? Anything in the supermarket is likely to be of inferior nutritional value, and some of the cheaper product in pet suppliers are no better. Aim for something that's at least "mid priced" or better if you can afford it. Examples include Advance, Pro Plan...better quality include Nutrience and Royal Canin and super premium includes Dick van Patten's Natural Balance, Eagle Pack Holistic, and Nutro.

HTH. :o

Some people feed a raw, whole foods diet and others feed a super-premium dry food. Some people feed a combination of these two.

Canned foods in general are over-priced and the ingredients are not very good quality. The average can of dog food contains 70% water, with the next highest percentage ingredient being a combination of cereals and grains which dogs have enormous trouble digesting (hence loose bowel motions on canned foods). Can I suggest if you are feeding canned foods that you investigate a higher quality dry food option? Anything in the supermarket is likely to be of inferior nutritional value, and some of the cheaper product in pet suppliers are no better. Aim for something that's at least "mid priced" or better if you can afford it. Examples include Advance, Pro Plan...better quality include Nutrience and Royal Canin and super premium includes Dick van Patten's Natural Balance, Eagle Pack Holistic, and Nutro.

HTH. :D

Thanks for that lillysmum. I was feeding my dogs Hill Science Diet up until nine months ago (i was getting a staff discount at my work so it was heaps cheaper) but then I left that work and so I put them onto canned food. My labradorx Punter has lost weight while on the canned food diet (he needed to lose some but not as much as he has and now he's too skinny) and my beagle Ruby has put on weight since they moved to canned food (she's fat and needs to lose it .... :o )

Think I'll change to a better quality diet. Hill Science was good but quite expensive. Might look into some of those you suggested...

thankyou. am looking up eagle pack holistic food on the net now. when you say "BARF", that's bones and raw food right? Are you referring to things like chicken necks and wings, or does it include raw vegies too?

I blend fruit and vegies to a pulp and add brewers yeast, kelp, organic eggs, live culture yoghurt, flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I then mix this with human grade chicken, turkey or beef mince and freeze in meal sized containers. The Rottweilers get a chicken frame after the BARF meal and the Cavaliers get a wing. They have raw meaty bones at other times too.

I give a Salmon oil capsule to the big dogs daily and the little dogs twice a week. Vitamin E capsule to all dogs every third day..

Eagle Pack is a good dried food and my dogs have nice shiny coats on the food they are on.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add. I don't use pasta, rice or any fillers but they do get it occasionally as leftovers.

Gee I'm comming back as a dog to your house where you get the...salmon tabs...and vitamin E ...in the health food shops?