A Few Questions About Groomers/grooming

BasTyra

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about taking Griever in to get groomed and get his claws trimmed, since I can't seem to do it myself :)

I've never actually had him professionally groomed before so I had a few questions...

1. Does anyone know of a really good reputable groomer in WA around the Cannington area?

2. Are groomers good with dogs who have had spinal injuries in the past? Like they don't let the dog jump off the table or anything like that do they? Also would they be ok if a dog was to involuntarily pop out a small poo, or would they have issues with something like that? :laugh:

3. When a dog doesn't appreciate being groomed I hear they sedate them so they can work without getting bitten or scratched or whatnot... is the stuff they use perfectly safe? Your doggie won't die from being sedated at a groomer will they?

4. Do they have methods in place to stop a stranger walking in and picking up your dog? (yes im paranoid)

5. Can you wait at the grooming place or do they prefer you to just drop the dog off and come back later?

6. Are there groomers who come to your house? How much would a full treatment usually cost? (trimming hair, making him all fluffy and pretty, trimming nails... etc)

7. Do you wash your dog before you take them in or does the groomer wash them?

I think that's it. Sorry if some of those questions are really stupid. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this subject.

You should tell any groomer what health issues the dog has as they will allow more time for grooming to its needs

We never ever sedate dogs>We have had owners sedate prior to bringing in but we dont recommend it as it actually makes it harder to groom.

We prefer not to have the owners there as the dog wants to be with them & it makes it harder & takes longer.

Dogs popping on the table happens often so any good groomer is use to that.

A salon should be very secure.

Groomers prefer the dog to come in good condition,you get some clients that take them to the beach or a run through the brushes & then expect us to pick all the stuff out .

Price wise varies but anywhere from $40 up.

I would phone around & see what response you get but we for example are booked out for 4 weeks at present & where in WA

2. Inform the Groomer of your dogs injury, and the pooping if it is an involuntary thing. Dogs are not permitted to jump off tables etc here.

3. No dog should be sedated without your permission. IMO only a Groomer working in with a Vet should sedate.

Full health detail;s of the dog needs to know for it to be sedated safely IMO.

Only the very nastiest of small creatures are sedated here, maybe 2/3 a year at the most. Usually cats. :cry:

4. Checkout where the dog will be kept. I meet and greet and hand over all my dogs personally or one of the Nurses will.

5. It depends on how the Groomer likes to work appointments, and how the Groomer feels about working around "parents"

normally my clients are all dropped of and then picked up later. It is often better not to be in view of your dog whilst it is being groomed

6. Some Groomers do work mobile, prices vary greatly from area to area.

7. Depends on what you require. Just a nail clip and tidy you may wash your own pooch before hand. A full groom, the groomer will generally bath on the day. I will add though, that if your dog is filthy it is polite to clean him up first.

If you want him fluffy, better to have the groomer bath him at the salon as it is easier to blast out all the dead coat and fluff up the hair at this time.

As the others have said - you must tell the groomer about any health issues, they won't have an issue with a little poo (as the saying goes $hit happens!)

Some groomers will let you stay but dogs can play up for the audience and they make out the groomer is nasty to them and need mummy to rescue them. Once left dog settle well and watching the door you left via gives them something else to focus on.

I never let the dogs jump off the table, though i do have a couple of owners who stay with their dogs and they let them leap off the table before I can lower it!!

I would suggest that you also ask the groomer to show you how to groom your dog properly so you can keep his coat in good condition.

2. Are groomers good with dogs who have had spinal injuries in the past? Like they don't let the dog jump off the table or anything like that do they? Also would they be ok if a dog was to involuntarily pop out a small poo, or would they have issues with something like that?

Definately let your groomer know that the dog has had back problems and they will probably try and get the dog through the process faster - I do this with the elderly dogs, I don't want them dying on me! :thumbsup: and any dogs with injuries I'll take a little more care with - but I need to know about it!

As for the pooping, it happens - I don't like it, but it happens :D

3. When a dog doesn't appreciate being groomed I hear they sedate them so they can work without getting bitten or scratched or whatnot... is the stuff they use perfectly safe? Your doggie won't die from being sedated at a groomer will they?

No one should sedate your dog without your permission and I think you'll find most groomers don't have any of the medication on hand unless they work at a vets.

4. Do they have methods in place to stop a stranger walking in and picking up your dog? (yes im paranoid)

If you are really worried you can just tell your groomer you're the only one picking up your dog and they might ask you for a 'password'

5. Can you wait at the grooming place or do they prefer you to just drop the dog off and come back later?

Up to the groomer and how busy they are, if you really want to stay and the shop does let people stay, let the groomer know so they can give you an appointment where they can focus soley on your dog. It pisses me off when someone comes in and I've got 3 dogs on the go and they want to watch me clip their puppy-- just can't be done.

7. Do you wash your dog before you take them in or does the groomer wash them?

That's the idea :)

Thanks guys!

becks, i'd love to learn how to groom griever but he's a stubborn fart set in his ways by now and doesn't let me do anything apart from brush his hair and trim his bottom hair when it gets too long. He seems to have gotten worse since his back injury, like he's really over protective of his front paws cause they are the ones he can feel better. (he has feeling in his back legs, just not 100% so he's more relaxed when you try to clip those ones.

I just tried to trim his front nails again (they are so long I feel like a bad mother - hence the need for a groomer). I managed to clip one then he decided that was enough and started flinging himself around whenever I went to clip another. I should have gotten him more used to it when he was a pup.

Thanks again for the responses.

I have a question for groomers too.

Is fresh water used in the hydrobath for each dog or is it recycled water?

Been trying to find the answer to this for a while now.

Can only say what I do, I prefer to bath the majority of my pooches by hand, not in the hydrobath, so yes for them fresh clean water.

The dogs that are hydrobathed, large pooches and double coated breeds, yes each dog gets clean water.

The only time water is recycled is if we are doing flea/tick rinse on a family group of clean animals.

Hmm. strange, thought i already replied to this... didnt come up

I am mobile, and i use fresh water for each bath, as well as backwashing the shower hose to get rid of all water from the previous bath. I also carry a spray bottle of mild disinfectant to spray before i hose out the tub.

There may be an aussie pooch mobile in your area. you can find out via the website at www.aussiepm.com.au, or call 1300 369 369.

I have a question for groomers too.

Is fresh water used in the hydrobath for each dog or is it recycled water?

Been trying to find the answer to this for a while now.

Can only say what I do, I prefer to bath the majority of my pooches by hand, not in the hydrobath, so yes for them fresh clean water.

The dogs that are hydrobathed, large pooches and double coated breeds, yes each dog gets clean water.

The only time water is recycled is if we are doing flea/tick rinse on a family group of clean animals.

Water is never reused by me. Like Nadia I dont hydrobath much anyway. I always find it funny that people think groomers reuse the water. I mean...that water is disgusting after one dog I can only imagine how foul it would be after multiple dogs. Would you really like to bath in it that water? I get very wet when I'm bathing the dogs so I dont want that disgusting water touching me let alone other dogs!! Its not like water is expensive and it would be saving us lots of money.

There was a mobile groomer in the street yesterday and I looked for a hose going to the trailer from the front tap of the house and there wasn't one.

Hi cavNrot,,you may find some groomers have a water storage tank on the trailer or may just bucket a bit of water into the hydrobath.

I have a kings fiberglass trailer and it has a 120lt storage tank under the trailer so don't need any water for doing quite a few dogs.

cheers

Julie

Some mobile groomers will have the storage water tanks and also a heating element in the tub to warm the water.

as for this question

Doesn't a hydrobath involve bathing the dogs by hand anyway, just in a different/better place than a sink or a bathtub?

As the hydrobath recirculates the soapy water (for one dog) and jets it out strongly it is excellent for double coated breeds like Mals and Huskies for washing deep into the coat on a skin level

will they use my shampoo or do they use shampoo automatically dispensed from the hydrobath?

I know Perry's Mum asks that a mobile franchise uses her Aloveen and she gets a discount, but most will have their own shampoo that they add to the water/dog depends how the operater does it.

Some people do wash by hand in the Hydrobath, that is they wet the dog down then apply shampoo then rinse off etc etc. Many operaters simply add the shampoo to the tank and wash away. Personal choice I guess.

I prefer to do small dogs by hand in a waist high tub, it has hot and cold taps,

I can adjust pressure and temperature, and also for dogs in full coats like Malts, Shih Tzu etc I personally prefer this way of washing. It is also quieter, etc. and I like the added height. Just my personal preference.

And Yes I use warm water.

I prefer to wash by hand in the hydrobath, especially small dogs as the hydrobath hose jets out quite powerfully! For large double coated breeds (Sibes, Sammies, Goldens etc) I will use the hydrobath hose as it gets through the heavy coat easier.

Thanks Nadia. Yours is the first reply I've ever had to my question.

OK now I need to ask another?? Doesn't a hydrobath involve bathing the dogs by hand anyway, just in a different/better place than a sink or a bathtub?

My little ones get bathed in the bath tub with a shower hose.

Edited to add: Thanks Ari and Peachie we were posting at the same time. The condition of the water, if recycled was exactly what was bothering me.

There was a mobile groomer in the street yesterday and I looked for a hose going to the trailer from the front tap of the house and there wasn't one.

I am mobile, and i often dont hook up the hose until i am finished. I fill up the tub for the next dog at the previous dog's place, if that makes sense. That way i can have it warming up whilst i am drying off the first dog. When i get to the new place the fresh clean water for the dog is already in there - hope that makes sense.... Yes it is heated, by an element in the water tank.

As others have mentioned, you can bathe a dog by hand in a hydrobath, i dont. I put the shampoo in the tank (squirt it on the dog's back before i start the water basically) and use the hydrobath. The water used for that dog's bath does get recycled through from the tank, through the hose and back into the tank where hair etc is filtered out. So if that's what you mean by recycled water, then yes, it is. But it is NOT recycled between dogs, even dogs who live at the same house. I always change it as i said. I find using the hydrobath system much better, as the shampoo is in the water, and the strong shower rose really lifts up the coat and cleans the dog right to the skin and all over. I think i would miss spots if i did it by hand.