Alergic To Grass?

Yes dogs can have an allergic response to many grasses. Ruby seems to have a problem in warmer weather but that's b/c the grasses are flowering and setting seed through this period. When the grasses are dormant in winter, she has no itch so we've concluded that it's definitely related to either/both flowers and seeds. A vet can conduct allergy testing or you could try a more holistic approach. We have chosen to use anti-inflammatories in the past but will change to a herbal approach if/when her symptoms appear again. :champagne:

Yep, Diesel has contact allergies too, and I am assuming probably to some type of grass. It has been pretty bad lately and he has a bald patch on his tail where he keeps chewing.

I use Aloveen shampoo (oatmeal based), give fish oil and sardines, and at the moment some cortisone cream and the poor guy has an Elizabethan collar on at night to prevent him from chewing his tail :champagne:

The vet has suggested allergy testing, haven't decided on that yet.

Yep, Diesel has contact allergies too, and I am assuming probably to some type of grass. It has been pretty bad lately and he has a bald patch on his tail where he keeps chewing.

I use Aloveen shampoo (oatmeal based), give fish oil and sardines, and at the moment some cortisone cream and the poor guy has an Elizabethan collar on at night to prevent him from chewing his tail :champagne:

The vet has suggested allergy testing, haven't decided on that yet.

Ahhh thanks ill have to try that!!

With fish oil and sardines also do you mean with a meal?

Casper used to be amazingly allergic to grasses, wandering jew and fleas (we had flea problems until we realised Frontline wasn't doing anything). None of the medicated shampoos or oatmeal washes seemed to help for more than 2 minutes. Then I started giving him 1/3 anti-histamine (the ones we take) each day and he has been heaps better. I now only give it to him when he scratches and it really helps.

Used to have a GSD that was allergic to Kikuyu (sp?) grass. It would affect mainly his paws. We found the best thing to treat them with was hibitane based udder wash.

When we moved to Australia, Muncher went to live with my parents. He started treating himself by walking along the top step of swimming pool whenever his paws got itchy. Seem to work for some reason.

My dog's been scratching a lot lately. His breeder, who rehomed him with me, said that he had no allergies but since the wattle blossomed he's been scratching a lot and licking around his penis area. There doesn't seem to be any hotspots there.

just like with humans dogs do become allergic to pollens and grass...now that hayfever season has come you will definately know if your dog has allergies or not.

theres medications that your vet can give the dog if its a severe rash etc. its basically human medication. i remember a few years ago my Tazzy had the problem the vet just prescribed antihistamine that i use for my allergies, but he adjusted the dose so match the dogs weight. Apart from that things i know that work are increasin calcium intake also use shampoo for sensitive skin on your pooch and make sure his skin is moisturised.

My foxie has awful problems with this too, seems worse if the grass is wet, eg his legs get redder/sorer. I've tried the cortisone which is no good for the longterm, the special baths, homeopathic remedies, creams, herbs.

I've just been told that Evening Primrose Oil may work so he's been on it for 3 days, too early to tell but he gets so sore it's miserable.

My CKCS suffers from allergies and usually start by chewing at his legs. My routines is I ensure that his flea treatment is always up to date, he has a teaspoon of flaxseed oil (excellent source of Omgea 3) and a couple of times a week I mix some sardines into his food. He is washed with a oatmeal shampoo when he requires washing and I aslo use Quititch a medicated wash for those itchy times. I have also started him on Nutro Lamb and Rice dry food and his coat condition seems to have improved. I will keep my finger crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

My first dobe had contact allergy from grass so bad, he'd lose all his belly, chest & inner leg hair & require cortisone shots each month during summer!

Then everyone at dog training gave me the secret! remove red meat from the diet...replace with chicken base.

worked brilliantly, no more cortisone shots & the small patches that did still remain were easilly treated with a blend of 5% chamomile oil, and washing with seboayse.

& moving to a different house had the final result of no more dermatitis! :laugh:

Aus