Panadol?

Whateverr

im going to ask a question that i think i already know the answer to.. and i know that if i saw this question on here that was posted by someone else, i would think "what an idiot" but i really need to know...

can you give dogs panadol? if so what dosage is acceptable?

i already understand that this question has a.. well.. obvious answer but help me out here please

:thumbsup:

well thats good.. now i know that what i thought was confirmed (god i sound like a textbook) i can tell you what happened...

tonight while me, my mum and her friend were outside we lit up a mozzie coil to, well.. keep the mozzies away. now my other 2dogs were inside and spike was on my lap outside. he was getting sqwirmish so i let him down and he was sniffing around like he usually does.. anyway he went to sniff the mozzie coil and he knocked it over. I saw this and got the coil out of the way and put some cold water on his nose just in case but because i hadnt seen any singes on his fur, i didnt think that he burnt himself.

now, 2 1/2 hours later, spike is sitting on my bed with me up against my leg when he starts yelping. I moved cause i thought i was squishing him but when he moved away from me he started to yelp again, only this time it was more louder and distraught and he was rubbing the front of his face with his paws.

i tried to have a look but he wouldnt let me touch his mouth area. I showed my dad and he thought that spike had been stung by a bee but now he too agrees that spike burnt his nose or lip or whatever.

he has settled down now and his head is resting on a wrapped ice-pack, but my mum had raised the question of whether we could give him something for the pain.. and now i know i cant, i'll just have to keep the ice on him..

Oh poor baby. I have so often wished I had some like panasol for my babies. Once I brought a dog home from surgery. In the middle of the night the dog was in obvious pain and I could do little for him. Next time I asked the vet for pain killers in case I needed them in the middle of the night. That was a few years ago now. I don;t have them now as I threw them out after a year, but you have reminded me....I am going to ask my vet next time to see if there is anything I can keep around.

You could contact an emergency vet centre and see if they have anything....

Our vet has said that we can give Nurofen if we really need to (Dog with HD) but really if the dog is in pain and you haven't asked the vet yet that would be your first point of call.

I would have absolutely no idea what the dosage rate would be for a small dog as the vet gave us a dosage rate for a large dog.

panadol and things like that wont really help with a burn. If a burn EVER occurs to the face, paws, stomach or genitals you should take the pup to the vet. This skin is thinner and the burn can turn into an infection if it goes deep enough. Plus the vet has special pain killers they can give if the pain is that bad.

Do not put any cream on it at all - let it dry, do not keep wiping it or washing it. Maybe some Betadine cream as it has iodine and is quite dry.

We asked our vet the same question last week & he said that panadol is not toxic to dogs, but as little as 2 panadols will kill a cat.

He DID say though, that you CAN give them panadol (dose as per human weight) but it doesn't do much to help the pain relief. He said that asprin works better & again the dose is as per the dose would be for a human of the same weight... so a small dog would need the kiddies asprin.

He also said to never give a dog Nurofen as it can cause ulcers in dogs (and humans).

Edited by ILuvAmstaffs

thanks for all the replies guys...

spike seems ok now.. i wrapped up an ice pack and put it in his basket and he slept with his face on that most of the night... now the swelling and the yelping has gone away and he is back to himself.. there isnt any signs of blistering or anything thats associated with a burn.. :rofl:

We asked our vet the same question last week & he said that panadol is not toxic to dogs, but as little as 2 panadols will kill a cat.

He DID say though, that you CAN give them panadol (dose as per human weight) but it doesn't do much to help the pain relief. He said that asprin works better & again the dose is as per the dose would be for a human of the same weight... so a small dog would need the kiddies asprin.

He also said to never give a dog Nurofen as it can cause ulcers in dogs (and humans).

Yep it can cause Ulcers, however in clinical trials this was only when used excessively (exceeding the reccomended dossage).

Yep it can cause Ulcers, however in clinical trials this was only when used excessively (exceeding the reccomended dossage).

And the same as with humans, when taken on an empty stomach etc... I still take it, but the dog can't tell me when he has a sore tummy & it's hard to work out the exact dose for dogs, so I prefer to err on the side of caution when other drugs are available. But if it was all that was on offer, i'd go for it (but a smaller dose, just incase) :rofl:

I was told by a vet that it is okay to give Paracetomol to a dog.

Asprin dosage rate is easy to remember 10mg per kg. I like to give Asprin with some food so they don't get an upset tummy. I'm not sure about the dosage rate for Paracetomol.

And the same as with humans, when taken on an empty stomach etc... I still take it, but the dog can't tell me when he has a sore tummy & it's hard to work out the exact dose for dogs, so I prefer to err on the side of caution when other drugs are available. But if it was all that was on offer, i'd go for it (but a smaller dose, just incase) :rofl:

Why would you give dogs medication on an empty stomach?

Too hard to work out dosage? You shouldn't be giving it to a dog without the advice of a vet to start with.

We haven't had any issues with it so far *shrugs*

Edited by sas

dogs are more reactive to panadol then humans, it gives them stomach upsets and ulcers so shouldnt be fed to them

asprin is ok but you can actually get pain killer medications (same family of meds as asprin, the non anti-infamitory ones) that are actually dosed for dogs not humans from your vet

Why would you give dogs medication on an empty stomach?

Too hard to work out dosage? You shouldn't be giving it to a dog without the advice of a vet to start with.

We haven't had any issues with it so far *shrugs*

Sorry SAS, wasn't looking for an arguement. Just going on advice we recieved from 3 separate vets, that they advise against it & the point more being that if there is a safer drug, it's always best to err on the side of caution :thumbsup:

Would be assuming also that the OP was asking for a drug to use b4 she could get to the vet...

Anyway, alls well that ends well & it seems that this one did. :thumbsup: