Puppy Mistaking Discipline For Playfulness

samoyedman

Not a huge problem but my pup I've had for 10 days has sharp teeth and no matter how many times we clamp his muzzle shut (firmly but gently) and say "NO!" after he teethes/bites us, he still keeps on doing it. The message isn't getting through.

I suspect he thinks we're being playful. I'm also grabbing the scruff of his neck and saying "NO!" (like the bitch would with the litter) but with no success.

Should I change tactics to educate him not to bite (suggestions please) or stick with clamping the muzzle shut and hope over time the message will get through? Does teaching not to bite take days, weeks or months?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say a combination of what TB and Sunny70 said. Growl or say ah-ah and push him away, then offer a toy and praise him for taking it.

Thanks. Only thing is a lot of pups when you push them away think you're playing and keep coming back for more biting :cry:

I would be giving a yelp and then either walking away or putting your pup away (eg another room or outside) until they settle down. Pushing them away just makes them get excited and they just don't seem to get it.

If you can see they are starting to get a little over excited and about to bite then definately redirect to a toy.

It is best to remove yourself and give them a bit of time out. They will quickly learn that if they want to play then they need to curb the biting.

A high pitched squeak (ouch!) when it happens and then stop what you are doing and stay perfectly still and quiet) and don't move till you get either an apologetic lick, then you pat gently or if he does it again, another squeak and repeat the process till he learns that nothing will happen till he stops the grabbing. As soon as you get either nuzzled, licked or ignored...go and find a toy to give him.......as a reward for stopping the grabbing.

Sitting in my sick

Oh dear. That doesnt sound good at all.

Tap it firmly on a hard surface and you'll hear a pop. That should make it easier to open.

I always do a sharp "ouch" (enough for the puppy to be startled). Puppys need to learn that human flesh is nothing like puppy flesh :)

Gotta thats an odd way of doing it :D banging it on a surface and listening for a pop :rofl: Might work for olive jars however!!!

Sitting in my sick

Tap it firmly on a hard surface and you'll hear a pop. That should make it easier to open.

I always do a sharp "ouch" (enough for the puppy to be startled). Puppys need to learn that human flesh is nothing like puppy flesh :)

if you tap it till you hear a pop, wont that hurt the puppy??

:):rofl::D nice one Gotta...try keeping the quotes in the right forums!

One of my puppies was very easy to teach not to bite, all it took was yelping and then he'd get this look on his face as if to say, ohhh sorry! and he'd come back licking.

The other puppy was an absolute monster when I got him, I have never seen anything like it and honestly thought 'what have I gotten myself into?'. It took weeks of constant discipline to get him to stop biting...he would full on charge and bite and keep coming back at you no matter how many times you yelped, growled, ahh ahhed, ignored him, turned away, walked out etc. etc. NOTHING worked, he was a very pushy puppy.

The only thing that worked for him was a very firm scruffing and growling. Only took once for him to know I meant business and I've never had a problem since. I do not like being so firm with puppies, but he was just completely over the top and growing into a big, powerful breed I had to get very firm, fast.

Now he's an angel...except when he's destroying something :rofl:

As above, plus we try and keep our pup as calm as possible all the time.

Instead of chasing, grabbing and holding games, we only do calm activities such as paw and tummy rubbing, sitting and patting.

Ive had a bit of rough and tumble play (nothing too serious) with my puppy once or twice partly to let him know how far he can go with "play" and also I think pups love a bit of physical fun with their "master" every now and then. Im sure pups do this with each other in their litters and Ive noticed dogs love a bit of light wrestling with each other. I'm trying to expose him to the full gamut of human-dog interaction while maintaining the alpha role.

I sometimes wonder if he isnt exposed to some grabbing/holding stuff now, will it somehow effect his development later as a full grown dog if an innocent kid grabs him affectionately/playfully and he doesn't know how to react?

Anyway, I'm getting off-track in my own thread. :)

Edited by samoyedman

Sitting in my sick

Gotta thats an odd way of doing it :rofl: banging it on a surface and listening for a pop :cry: Might work for olive jars however!!!

Sitting in my sick

I always do a sharp "ouch" (enough for the puppy to be startled). Puppys need to learn that human flesh is nothing like puppy flesh :D

:(:rofl:;) nice one Gotta...try keeping the quotes in the right forums!

One of my puppies was very easy to teach not to bite, all it took was yelping and then he'd get this look on his face as if to say, ohhh sorry! and he'd come back licking.

The other puppy was an absolute monster when I got him, I have never seen anything like it and honestly thought 'what have I gotten myself into?'. It took weeks of constant discipline to get him to stop biting...he would full on charge and bite and keep coming back at you no matter how many times you yelped, growled, ahh ahhed, ignored him, turned away, walked out etc. etc. NOTHING worked, he was a very pushy puppy.

The only thing that worked for him was a very firm scruffing and growling. Only took once for him to know I meant business and I've never had a problem since. I do not like being so firm with puppies, but he was just completely over the top and growing into a big, powerful breed I had to get very firm, fast.

Now he's an angel...except when he's destroying something :D

Hmmm maybe i should read my posts through before i press the add reply button................. :o:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DO NOT bang your puppy on the counter

I REPEAT DO NOT bang your puppy on the counter :rofl::rofl:

Sitting in my sick

Gotta thats an odd way of doing it :rofl: banging it on a surface and listening for a pop :cry: Might work for olive jars however!!!

Sitting in my sick

I always do a sharp "ouch" (enough for the puppy to be startled). Puppys need to learn that human flesh is nothing like puppy flesh :D

:(:rofl:;) nice one Gotta...try keeping the quotes in the right forums!

Now he's an angel...except when he's destroying something :

Hmmm maybe i should read my posts through before i press the add reply button.................

DO NOT bang your puppy on the counter

I REPEAT DO NOT bang your puppy on the counter :rofl::rofl:

Awww MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, you said I could :rofl::rofl::o :D :rofl::rofl: