"chewing" Stones - Cause For Concern?

samoyedman

He doesn't actually chew them, I'd say he "teethes" them. They are in his mouth and I'm afraid he will swallow one sooner or later. Is this norml for pups? I guess the up side is if he does swallow one he will probably never put one in his mouth again so its part of the learning process?

Obviously Im a little concrened about him choking.

Its a real bad habbit that i think you should teach the pup not to do asap, my old dog did this as a pup and by the time i got him to stop he had wore away a new adult tooth.

i dont know why they do it whether its used for teething ect ,but i gave my dog a mineral suppliment and he no longer chewed/mouthed rocks.

Edited by s~M~s

My pup has started to do it, but she only does when she is out.

I wonder if the stones have a taste to them?

Perhaps someone has dropped something on it and she can smell it, therefor being young she has no idea it's not edible.

Perhaps someone has dropped something on it and she can smell it, therefor being young she has no idea it's not edible.

It puzzles me too lol.

Stones have no taste, they can't be chewed and they're rough and coarse on their gums.

What on earth are the little rascals thinking? Perhaps it's a sign they need something to chew on or (in my case) my 3 month old is about to start teething?

Edited by samoyedman

It puzzles me too lol.

Stones have no taste, they can't be chewed and they're rough and coarse on their gums.

What on earth are the little rascals thinking? Perhaps it's a sign they need something to chew on or (in my case) my 3 month old is about to start teething?

Sway is 12 weeks today, she doesn't eat the stones at home. But will when out. ;)

totally off topic...but..

how do dogs tell the difference between something edible and something not edible? like when you have a certain food smell on your hand, they lick it and not chew on it?

;)

sorry for the hijack ;)

Tango does it but it's more to get my attention that anything........he brings a rock inside with one of those "I'm innocent" looks on his face - I used to take them out of his mouth, but have stopped doing it because it was becoming more frequent with the attention. He doesn't do it during the day when I'm not there....

Yep, my RR pup not only picks them up and chews on them, but she swallows them! Have you ever seen gravel in poo? She does seem to be weaning herself off them sowly, thank goodness - maybe its a teething thing. Shes lost quite a few teeth in the last couple of weeks, perhaps they feel cool in their mouths! The vet and my trainer sssures me that its normal!! :thumbsup:

In our old place our entire courtyard was done with stones, so when our guy was a puppy (well he still is) he would bring them inside and chew on them all the time. used to drive me nuts.

Thankfully we bought a new house and there are no more stones